Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2013, 02:50 PM   #1
carbonbass

HB Flats

Went out off the flats with my friend Steve today. We were headed towards the fleet when Steve hooks up a mackerel and we were surprised since we have not had much luck making them in the HB cliffs area for a while. We were still pretty far inshore from the fleet but steve decides to put one down since there are bait balls all around us. Within about 5 minutes Steve's clicker is singing, he yells at me "big head shakes" and we knew it was probably the right kind. After about 30 seconds of running the line goes slack and he reels in a mac head, it had bit through the mackerel. He has caught several thresher's and assured me it was a different fish. The macs we made were pretty large so it doesn't surprise me that it didn't get eaten all the way. The surprising part was that we weren't even close to the fleet. We decided to slowly troll mac's towards the armada and as we got to the edge Steve said "why should we go where everyone else is? Lets try to find our own fish." After seeing that run it made sense so we went back to the first area and just soaked macs for a while with no luck. We went closer to the surf and I just could not buy a bite. I wonder if the squid were still at the flats and if anything was chewing out there. Steve broke off on three Leos close to the surf, he had the hot not so hot stick today
Tis the season, find some bait and you will find some fish
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:27 PM   #2
DanaPT

I like this report.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 09:30 PM   #3
carbonbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
I like this report.
ty kind sir how is dana lately?
Old 07-04-2013, 09:22 AM   #4
DanaPT

I haven't been out for about 2 weeks. I'm itchin to get out there, the water has looked very nice over the past few days and I didn't observe too much activity from the headlands bluff since Sunday.

I won't get out until tues or weds of next week.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:41 PM   #5
ReelNasty

Sounds like a dog....
ReelNasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
toadstoadsonly

How was the surf launch in that area? I just moved to Newport and have been debating on taking the PA out that way since it is not too far.
toadstoadsonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:14 AM   #7
carbonbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReelNasty View Post
Sounds like a dog....
no dogs in sight the whole day, but you were there so you know right?
Old 07-09-2013, 10:16 AM   #8
carbonbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadstoadsonly View Post
How was the surf launch in that area? I just moved to Newport and have been debating on taking the PA out that way since it is not too far.
it can get tricky, there are 2 breaks one inside one on the outside, on a small day closer to the bolsa side moreso than the huntington side of dog beach there is a channel that goes out and if timed correctly it is not a problem. If in fact the surf is going to come up in the afternoon be sure to get in beforehand, i rolled a few weeks back over there and my samsung S3 got some water damage!