Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-10-2010, 08:36 PM   #1
jorluivil

Sometimes it Pays Off

Bought a Standard Horizons handheld vhf at Westmarine a few months ago, could have gotten it a little cheaper buying it online but decided to get it someplace with a good return policy.

Last week while hooping I tried calling my buddy on his radio, got no response until I got within 30 or so yards. My vhf if clipped on to my vest, when I looked down to check the volume and battery life I noticed the antenna was missing. I check my between, under over on the side....no luck.

Earlier this week I decided to go to Westmarine to see if they would cover it. When I told the saleman that it just fell off he looked at me a bit confused. I told him, "I know it sounds silly but it was there one minute and gone the next". He reached into the cabinet that holds the vhf radios, pulls out a replacement antenna, does a quick radio check and says, "here you go". He was cool enough to give it to me for free even after I offered to pay. Walked in thinking I was going to spend $20 and walked out more than satisfied. I know for a fact that I would never get service like that from an online retailer. So, like I said.....sometimes it pays off.
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 08:54 PM   #2
WahooUSMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post
Bought a Standard Horizons handheld vhf at Westmarine a few months ago, could have gotten it a little cheaper buying it online but decided to get it someplace with a good return policy.

Last week while hooping I tried calling my buddy on his radio, got no response until I got within 30 or so yards. My vhf if clipped on to my vest, when I looked down to check the volume and battery life I noticed the antenna was missing. I check my between, under over on the side....no luck.

Earlier this week I decided to go to Westmarine to see if they would cover it. When I told the saleman that it just fell off he looked at me a bit confused. I told him, "I know it sounds silly but it was there one minute and gone the next". He reached into the cabinet that holds the vhf radios, pulls out a replacement antenna, does a quick radio check and says, "here you go". He was cool enough to give it to me for free even after I offered to pay. Walked in thinking I was going to spend $20 and walked out more than satisfied. I know for a fact that I would never get service like that from an online retailer. So, like I said.....sometimes it pays off.
Westmarine has a great staff and great customer service!

WahooUSMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:09 PM   #3
ctrujillo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorluivil View Post

bought a cheap hummingbird ff last year bought a two year extended warrenty ff broke took it in with a cracked screen replaced it with new unit in box with no qustions asked.i need a new vhf i will be buying it from west marine
ctrujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:30 PM   #4
Jzo

Nice to know that they offer good service, cause I bought my FF there w/ warranty.
Jzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:51 PM   #5
AquaticHunter

I bought a Cobra Marauder in 2006 and 2 years later it developed a leak in one of the scupper holes. I contacted the dealer who sold me the boat and they put me in touch directly with Cobra. After explaining the problem they asked me... do you want your new Marauder delivered to your home or do you want to pick it up?

Great company.

Section 25. The people shall have the right to fish upon and from
the public lands of the State and in the waters thereof...
AquaticHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 06:57 AM   #6
maui jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaticHunter View Post
I bought a Cobra Marauder in 2006 and 2 years later it developed a leak in one of the scupper holes. I contacted the dealer who sold me the boat and they put me in touch directly with Cobra. After explaining the problem they asked me... do you want your new Marauder delivered to your home or do you want to pick it up?

Great company.
Cobras are great.. there customer service is top notch, I have my Tandem for 14 years and when ever I call them it's has never been an issue, from new seals for the hatches, paddles,( bent from surfing ) or repairs.....may not be the fastest out there but I enjoying the day.... I dont here of cobras taking on water,