Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2011, 07:30 PM   #1
jaycee386

to all Hobie Outback owners

I recently got my outback and am in the process of rigging it up with all the goodies and having a great time researching and ordering the stuff. I ordered ram tube style rod holders for the front and would like to mount it in the original rod holder holes on the outback. I was thinking of putting some stainless steal tubing into the hole and and welding a flat plate on top flush with the boat and then mounting the ram ball on that. So basically what I'm looking for is the extended rod holder made by Hobie without the rod holder on top but instead a flat mounting surface. There are 2 reason I want to do this 1 is I load my kayak on my truck flipped on it's top and if I had the ball protruding out it would get caught on my rack when I go to slide it forward 2 I don't want to drill holes into the boat. So if anyone knows someone that can fabricate this for me please let me know.
jaycee386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 07:43 PM   #2
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

No need to reinvent the wheel. I think there are some excellent removable flushmount rod holders. Check with the Iceman at the OEX shop in your area. I am sure that he has them or can get them.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:12 PM   #3
jaycee386

Thx Bob, been by OEX but they don't have what I want. I need the ball of a ram mount so I can adjust the angle of the rod holder tube to my liking.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:24 PM   #4
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Got wood?

You can find some wooden dowel/bar about 1-1/4 inch in diameter, some threaded rod, a diagonal cut, a couple of nuts and washers and a 3 or 4 inch diameter circle of 3/4 inch or larger hardwood a counterbore etc. etc.. Get the picture yet?
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:36 PM   #5
jaycee386

Red, looking for a weekend project???
Old 07-08-2011, 07:25 AM   #6
PapaDave

RAM makes a ball that does that very thing, comes in two sizes, 1 inch and 1-1/2 inch. Basically they have a screw that you tighten down that wedges the ball in existing flush rod holders. I know they have these at Dana Point Jet Ski, I am thinking of getting one to mount a camera.
PapaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 07:39 AM   #7
jaycee386

PapaDCH I saw that on the Ram website. But I didnt see anything in between the ball and screw that would expand to fit snug to the hole. Do you have to drill a hole on the bottom of the flush mount to tighten it down into the flush mount hole.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:26 AM   #8
Lets_Fish

If you are talking about the "Wedge mounts" they fit a hole 7/8" - 1" diameter only (sail mast), not the larger hole of the molded rod holders on the Outback.

You can purchase the Hobie Rod Holder Extensions and cut them down, weld/glue some plastic or something else to it to be flush with the deck, then bolt on a ram ball/ram rod mount. This way they are removable and you still have the flexibility to turn your rod to whichever direction you wish.

Here are a few links showing the items:

Ram Wedge mounts

1-½" Ball http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResu...5/Default.aspx

(Don't use this if you plan on using the molded rod holder positions).

Look here for what Ram has in their catalog http://www.ram-mount.com/Home/tabid/37/Default.aspx Lots of good stuff.

Hobie Rod Holder Extensions http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...Extension.html You can get these at OEX and Fastlane also.
Lets_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:20 AM   #9
tagyak

i wanted something like what you are describing jaycee. i had inquired with iceman about if ram could come up with a wedge mount for the molded rod holders on the hobies, but i had not heard back from him regards to what they may have said.
hopefully ram will be able to make a wedge mount that fits into the molded rod holders. i think that will allow for the hobies guys to utilize it better for other things without having to drill into the shell.
tagyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:42 AM   #10
coxtanker421

great info Papa. thx
coxtanker421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:21 AM   #11
Matar
I am just me.

From what I am seeing the wedge mount stems are for 1" and smaller holes while the molded in rod holder ID is over and 1-1/4" and just smaller the an 1-1/2". To me these will not work. What i did was take a Peice of 1-1/4" PVC pipe and add a cap. Mount the ball mount to the cap and cut the pipe to legnth. the pipe will be a little sloppy so a little bit of heavy tape and a tight fit.
Matar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:04 PM   #12
jaycee386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matar View Post
From what I am seeing the wedge mount stems are for 1" and smaller holes while the molded in rod holder ID is over and 1-1/4" and just smaller the an 1-1/2". To me these will not work. What i did was take a Peice of 1-1/4" PVC pipe and add a cap. Mount the ball mount to the cap and cut the pipe to legnth. the pipe will be a little sloppy so a little bit of heavy tape and a tight fit.
How did you join the PVC to the cap and the ball mount to the cap? did you use glue, if so what type?
Old 07-08-2011, 12:36 PM   #13
Matar
I am just me.

just a little red hot glue and metal screws. self tapping.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:21 PM   #14
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Proud Balls

I was searching for flushmount rod holder balls but could not find them either. I was even going to make a set with wood. But eventually I just surface-mounted the balls. The balls do sit proud on top of the kayak and do get in the way when I load my yak on the rack. But, as males we learn to live with our balls and learn to work with them, no matter how big or proud they are!

Here are some shots of where we mounted our rod holders on the Outfitter-the tandem of the Outback...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00361.jpg (96.8 KB, 175 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00360.jpg (74.8 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00272.jpg (54.9 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg 1_17_11 011.jpg (49.5 KB, 173 views)
Old 07-08-2011, 08:26 PM   #15
Matar
I am just me.

Red,
How come you have leashes clipped to your rod holders?
Old 07-08-2011, 08:42 PM   #16
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

They are there to clip to the rod that goes into the holder. I can crank down on the knob to clamp the holder in position, but if a large fish strikes the rig the leverage from the rod length is enough to overcome the friction on the ball and the rod holder can move down and possibly dump the rod. The leash is an added step for securing the rod from going into the drink.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:14 AM   #17
Matar
I am just me.

Ok my rod leashes just attach to the rod in a different way.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:39 AM   #18
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Clarification: The rods in the pictures are not tethered. We only tether the rods when we troll and surf.