Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2013, 02:17 PM   #1
ebrake180
Junior

LJ 4/3 & my first wipeout

So I launched around 8am this morning, met a fellow yaker Jeff I believe, had a Hobie.

I went ahead and launched first... as I was launching I noticed my main large hatch was open but I figured the waves were tiny so no biggie. Boy was I wrong, the swell hit right when I barely started paddling and it only got bigger so I just hit it hard and managed to get through no problem. Except I noticed after I made it out of the wave zone that I was going super slow, I moved my hatch over and there was a ton of water in my Yak about 4 inches deep. Oh well I thought the fish would appreciate my ghetto bait tank.

Anyways as I headed out I noticed the waves were getting really big and the guy that was supposed to launch right after me was nowhere to be found...

About an hour passes by and I see the guy, he tells me that he got wiped out launching... lost a pole and broke another one... really sucks. He offers me a pump to get the water out, I decline and tell him it's my new bait tank.

On my way back in I come in with perfect timing and go sideways a little bit, I'm not worried at all cuz I've landed in much worst conditions. Anyways as I'm coming in I go sideways and dig but BAM, I'm baffled at how fast I just flipped. Then I realized when I went sideways ALL the water in my Yak shifted and turned me over like a pancake. Then I flip my yack over, it was really easy because my poles and my head happened to be holding it upside down perfectly! Then I start picking up floating items, I see a ton of stuff everywhere and start grabbing thing in order from the most expensive to least expensive haha.... all in all only lost a tshirt.

As for the fish macks were everywhere, caught a nice legal bass first one since the new rules came in, and a couple rock fish.
ebrake180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:20 PM   #2
mtnbykr2

I hate yard sales, sounds like it was not too bad, glad it was not worse...
Old 04-03-2013, 02:31 PM   #3
ebrake180
Junior

Thanks... yeah I'm lucky my poles diidn't snap.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:33 PM   #4
TJones

stupid question

why didn't you sponge out the water or pump it out ? you were thinking of keeping your bait inside the hull? , or keeping you'r catch alive ? kinda of like transporting a load of beer , and taking a corner to fast .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
Ggiannig89

Looked choppy and windy out there today. I haven't flipped yet but I know its coming soon
Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #6
Deamon

When my yak turns on the landing, whamo just about every time...as everyone has stated repeatedly...it's not a matter of if you ever flip it, it's when...I've dumped it so many times, I put my reels in a waterproof bag then leash everything else down. Now when I dump it, I just flip the whole damn thing back over and get out of the water like nothing ever happened...
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

One of the toughest lessons i learned, Keep your bow light and your stern heavy when you landing. If you bow Digs in the sand, its over, if you turn sideways, its over..

if you think your hot stuff and know what your doing its. over...

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:59 PM   #8
FishNinjaY

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post
One of the toughest lessons i learned, Keep your bow light and your stern heavy when you landing. If you bow Digs in the sand, its over, if you turn sideways, its over..

uh... ok....

Honcho.. maybe Dana Point on Friday instead?
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 03:14 PM   #9
Honcho

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredantz View Post

That's awesome! funny quote.

FishNinjaY - lets do DP, I am bound to catch a butt!
Honcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #10
ebrake180
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
why didn't you sponge out the water or pump it out ? you were thinking of keeping your bait inside the hull? , or keeping you'r catch alive ? kinda of like transporting a load of beer , and taking a corner to fast .
Keeping my catch alive was the idea
Old 04-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #11
ebrake180
Junior

bag is a good idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
When my yak turns on the landing, whamo just about every time...as everyone has stated repeatedly...it's not a matter of if you ever flip it, it's when...I've dumped it so many times, I put my reels in a waterproof bag then leash everything else down. Now when I dump it, I just flip the whole damn thing back over and get out of the water like nothing ever happened...
I'll be bagging mine from now on!
Old 04-03-2013, 05:35 PM   #12
ebrake180
Junior

If my reel takes a dip do I need to have it professionally serviced? I rinsed them with water But doubt that is enough. Any advice would be great
Old 04-03-2013, 05:40 PM   #13
FishNinjaY

i'm no expert.. but it probably depends on the type of reel.

I can't afford to keep servicing my reels every time they get a little salt water on them. I'd probably just rinse them off with clean water (but not too aggressively), shake it off, let it dry, and fish on. If the reel starts acting up or feeling gritty, then I'd tear it down or take it in.

I'm interested to hear what the pros here do?
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:46 PM   #14
tomahawk

I would break it down completely, clean it, lube it back up. Inspect the drag washers, if they are wet, I'd replace them too.
tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:58 PM   #15
ebrake180
Junior

They're Daiwa Sealines and a Lexa 300. I don't feel comfortable taking them apart which is why a good rinse is like my only option besides bringing it in for a service. I took apart 2 reels in the past and they were better off without me opening them up haha.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:14 PM   #16
CorvinaLoca

Reels

Your reels are prob full of sand n salt.
Will start making weird noises.
Will eventually fail.
Hopefully not when landing trophy you've worked so hard to hook.

Soak them In Salt Away or equivalent overnite.
Take apart n completely clean, lube, n replace bearings.
Take drag washers apart n let dry or replace.
Or take to tackle shop n get same for 25 plus parts.

Next time take water out of bilge immediately.
Serious safety issue.
Lesson learned.

You got off cheap.
Could have lost lots of gear and or got hurt.
Count ur blessings.

Last edited by CorvinaLoca; 04-03-2013 at 07:23 PM. Reason: After thought
CorvinaLoca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:55 PM   #17
Biggameaddict
The Kayak Peddler

I would take the lexa to get serviced at least, if you can take the sea lines too. In my kayak reels i grease them heavily and put some marine grease in the spool bearings. it doesnt have great freespool but im drifting for halibut, or trolling around so i dont need the freespool and get great protection against the salt. take it this once and ask the guy rebuilding them to grease them heavily even in the spool bearings. some guy on craigslist does 3 for 30 and that sounds like a great deal.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:25 PM   #18
jaws197

I can tell you from experience that the daiwa reels are dead easy to service!

Get a schematic from Daiwa's web site, carefully take them apart and grease anything non-free spool with Yamaha marine grease, a couple of drops in the free spool bearings, and bang your done!

I have done all of mine ala Alan Tani's web site and couldn't be happier with the results, If I can do it ....BELIEVE ME anyone CAN!
jaws197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #19
steveooo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrake180 View Post
If my reel takes a dip do I need to have it professionally serviced? I rinsed them with water But doubt that is enough. Any advice would be great
Sealines are pretty bullet proof, and probably the perfect kayak reel. I've dunked mine plenty of times with no real problems.

Rinse it with fresh water, let it dry. If it seems to be working fine and the drag is decently smooth- no worries. When you let it dry, back off the drag so any water trapped in the drag washers can evaporate.

Good luck next time you head out
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 11:35 PM   #20
Cbad Mike

Its kinda funny how fast we can do math to determine the cost of our belongings from low to high. I think that Ive started calculating what I was going to grab midway through my roll. LOL

Cbad Mike is offline   Reply With Quote