Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge   OEX - Kayak Fishing Superstores

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2018, 07:03 AM   #1
jbl_91762
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 233
Fishing in the rain?

I have a chance to go to SD for work and fish the bay and LJ the next morning however its finally going to rain in SoCal the days I'll be down there next Tues/Wed. I've never fished in the rain so gut feeling not to bother but what have you guys experienced if ever fishing those locations in rain. Not the end of the world if I don't go either lol.
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:13 AM   #2
Hunters Pa
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Fullerton
Posts: 1,155
Rain is no big deal as long as you dress for it. As always, keep your head on a swivel as visibility will be diminished.

But if Lightening starts up, stow yer rods and head for shore. Don't need a wet stick of graphite sticking up higher than anything else around you to draw a lightening strike.

As for the fishing, my catch rate is hampered more by other factors than rain.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:14 AM   #3
PapaDave
Senior Member
 
PapaDave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Menifee, CA
Posts: 1,135
It's not bad in a light rain with little wind, kind of cool actually. Not so great in a down pour.

Just make sure the wind and surf aren't acting up and there's no lightening going off.
__________________
PapaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:30 AM   #4
summers in kuwait
Senior Member
 
summers in kuwait's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: East County San Diego
Posts: 501
As previously mentioned, rain isn't a problem as long as you are dressed accordingly and don't mind it.

I've had some great days fishing in the rain, but I wouldn't attribute it to the rain.

Lightning is a problem, so check the forecast beforehand and if you see it while your out there, don't stay out!
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:26 AM   #5
Denis_Ruso
Silver Spoon Crew
 
Denis_Ruso's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Malibu, CA
Posts: 450
Had one of my best calico days on a rainy day. The rain doesn't make much of a difference, downpour or not. Its the winds and higher swell usually associated with those rains that suck. Other than that if winds are still forecast to be flat I'd be out fishing in my waterproof jacket with a hot tea.
__________________
2015 Hobie Revo 13

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:35 AM   #6
goldenglory18
Senior Member
 
goldenglory18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 703
There is a reason why bites are typically good+ when the rain is actively falling. It's a great cover for active fish.

+1000 on caution on/when there is lightning in the area. Shit is nothing to mess with....


goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:59 PM   #7
FullFlavorPike
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 545
It probably won't rain anyways.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 04:08 PM   #8
Mahigeer
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 1,269
I agree with everyone.

If you don't mind a highjack, I will be fishing in the snow in Utah!!

Fortunately ice fishing rods are small and short. I am hoping for an inclement weather so the lakes get frozen. So far they have not.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:14 PM   #9
jbl_91762
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 233
Thanks Guys, I feel more comfortable and will decide by Sunday and look at the lighting reports and if its ok IM off to fish the bay and LJ Wed morning!
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 09:23 PM   #10
FISH11
Member
 
FISH11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Pine Valley when not fishing La Jolla
Posts: 1,858
The rain you can dress for, but if the day you picked is Tuesday. Do something else! The magic seaweed forecast, is wind from over 17 mph to 30 mph and surf of 3'-4'. There's no way you should go out in the ocean in a kayak with that kind of wind unless you have a death wish.
__________________
MARK. HOBIE REVO 13, JACKSON CUDA 14, MALIBU X13, MALIBU X FACTOR
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:03 AM   #11
jbl_91762
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
The rain you can dress for, but if the day you picked is Tuesday. Do something else! The magic seaweed forecast, is wind from over 17 mph to 30 mph and surf of 3'-4'. There's no way you should go out in the ocean in a kayak with that kind of wind unless you have a death wish.
Thanks for heads up!! Hell no aint worth it I checked for Wed too and def not going. But thanks all!

Last edited by jbl_91762; 01-06-2018 at 07:08 AM.
jbl_91762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 07:41 AM   #12
Flounder
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 51
fish dont mind

Fish are always wet so unless the storm stirs up the bottom you can go in whatever you deem safe conditions ^^^Probably not safe Tuesday lol.

Biggest difference I've noted with fishing rain and on both sides of storms is paying attention to if its a low or high pressure front. It used to kill the bass and pike fishing in MI when a low pressure front moved in. Great bite right before and good bite when high pressure front came or held the area. Does this hold true here in SD?
Flounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:46 AM   #13
Orca Winfrey
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: The I. E.
Posts: 324
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
There is a reason why bites are typically good+ when the rain is actively falling. It's a great cover for active fish.

+1000 on caution on/when there is lightning in the area. Shit is nothing to mess with....


That must have been a Berkeley Lightning rod.
Orca Winfrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 01:56 PM   #14
RK
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 713
fish are scared of water
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 02:18 PM   #15
goldenglory18
Senior Member
 
goldenglory18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orca Winfrey View Post
That must have been a Berkeley Lightning rod.
Is there a drum kit/rim shot smilies?

goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:39 AM   #16
ChristLike
Catch and Release(#2)
 
ChristLike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Oceanside
Posts: 75
Ya know this really upsets me and it's not getting any better these days.

Why do you have to convince people NOT to do things that are in their control that would put themselves in danger, cause pain to their loved ones if they get hurt or die, cause someone else to get hurt or die trying to save the person (be nice) that decided they wanted to selfishly do what they wanted and screw everyone else that would have to bail them out/help.
I've personally never seen the ocean turn into a lake when it rains

Gets beLt out!

I lost a friend that was trying to rescue a dingbat. The dingbat lived!

Think about others
__________________
Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me


Caddiyak PA14
ChristLike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 08:59 AM   #17
Denis_Ruso
Silver Spoon Crew
 
Denis_Ruso's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Malibu, CA
Posts: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristLike View Post
Ya know this really upsets me and it's not getting any better these days.

Why do you have to convince people NOT to do things that are in their control that would put themselves in danger, cause pain to their loved ones if they get hurt or die, cause someone else to get hurt or die trying to save the person (be nice) that decided they wanted to selfishly do what they wanted and screw everyone else that would have to bail them out/help.
I've personally never seen the ocean turn into a lake when it rains

Gets beLt out!

I lost a friend that was trying to rescue a dingbat. The dingbat lived!

Think about others

I understand you speak from personal experience and I am sorry for your loss.

This on the other hand is someone seeking advise and there's no convincing necessary.

My personal experience is several days on the water during a downpour and less than 4knot winds. 15+ years experience reading ocean forecasts goes a long way. There are windows to be taken, the calm before the storm is not just a saying.

We all know what kind of escape fishing is for all of us and we try to make the best of the windows we get to go fish. After-all what's a life worth living if you don't do what you love. Tight lines.
__________________
2015 Hobie Revo 13

I do not fear the storm as it will teach me how to sail my ship.
Denis_Ruso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 09:23 AM   #18
ChristLike
Catch and Release(#2)
 
ChristLike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Oceanside
Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis_Ruso View Post
I understand you speak from personal experience and I am sorry for your loss.

This on the other hand is someone seeking advise and there's no convincing necessary.

My personal experience is several days on the water during a downpour and less than 4knot winds. 15+ years experience reading ocean forecasts goes a long way. There are windows to be taken, the calm before the storm is not just a saying.

We all know what kind of escape fishing is for all of us and we try to make the best of the windows we get to go fish. After-all what's a life worth living if you don't do what you love. Tight lines.

No need to be sorry.
Don't let the freedom that you have stumble others.
__________________
Philippians 4:13
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me


Caddiyak PA14
ChristLike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2002 Big Water's Edge. All rights reserved.