Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2014, 09:00 PM   #1
DanaPT

Dana Point Weds 4/16

For you Dana Point people...

Made it out around 7 am just beyond the white buoy w/ american flag.
Decided to try and hit some very deep water in search of structure and rock fish.... Have you Been out there? I welcomed a sun fish in 200ft of water around 8 am, it was very interested in my sibiki.. heard on the radio of of dolphins, minke & gray whales. I could see the boats from where I was... no whales only a big pod of dolphins. i really wanted to see whales (tis the season)

That 2.5 mile trek is was not productive for me. It sure is deep and I metered fish. I tried sibiki and dropper loop w/ squid any time I metered a mark on the FF ALL for nothing. I repeated all the way towards doho beach into 9 ft of water

Finally, Bounced a jig for 2 false strikes near the beach, until 11:30 am and then called it a day...

Water still a very cool 57 degrees.

Good luck to the weekend weekend crew, hope to see good things come from these local waters!

Attached Images

DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:04 PM   #2
William Novotny
The carpetbagger

Thanks for the dp report. If I don't end up down in lj this Monday I may drag doho for some butts.

http://www.badinfluencetattoo.com/gallery.php?artist=21
William Novotny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 09:26 PM   #3
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

I've looked at those deep water canyons on google but wasn't sure if they are just sand or if there are any rock piles out there. Never made that paddle, and I probably wouldn't go that far alone anyway. Thanks for checking it out and reporting. Hopefully someone knows of a place around DP for some rock fish.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:48 AM   #4
mrJB

Manny -

You are certainly the Trooper! Be careful out there - Monday it went from calm to some of the worse (unpredicted) winds I have seen. As you probably already know, you can get to a canyon dropoff near the Headlands, closer to shore "as the crow flies".

Good luck!

Last edited by mrJB; 04-19-2014 at 06:04 AM.
mrJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 05:34 PM   #5
DanaPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrJB View Post
Manny -

You are certainly the Trooper! Be careful out there - Monday it went from calm to some of the worse (unpredicted) winds I have seen. As you probably already know, you can get to a canyon dropoff near the Headlands, closer to shore "as the crow flies".

Good luck!
JB-

For sure safety first. 2 days before I went out, I checked it out. The wind was forecast at 4-5 mph while i was out there. I was well inside before 11 am, the usual start time of the increased wind.

And you are correct, right outside the red buoy is that same drop off. It is closer than 2.5 miles from shore but I think about the same distance from the harbor north then west to that area.

I've heard sometimes... with the proper moon, bait, tide and stuff... some people catch WSB out there.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:16 PM   #6
mrJB

Manny -

...could be

and I've heard some stories regarding Threshers too ...
Old 04-21-2014, 08:07 AM   #7
PapaDave

<<< Don't be silly, there are NO threshers out at Dana Point!!!!