Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-18-2014, 04:25 PM   #1
ful-rac
Emperor

Mirage Drive Spare Parts Kit.

Well many of you already know...I had some problems with my mirage drive down in Baja, I broke a mast. Mirage drives just like anything mechanical, they can and do eventually break. It's just our job to be prepared and have the parts, tools and the knowledge to repair them while in the field. Last week I had the tools and knowledge...but no parts...my fault.

Hopefully somebody can learn from my bad experience and buy some extra parts, and tools. You never know it might save your trip or your life someday.

All I know is I would have paid a lot more than what I paid for the parts kit down in Baja for just 1 replacement mast.

So I visited Andy over at OEX and got 2 replacement masts and a spare parts kit.

Installed 2 new Replacement Masts

Spare Parts Kit

Back in Business!!!

Never again will I not have replacement parts at the ready.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:31 PM   #2
jorluivil

After talking on the phone with you I had a general idea of what you were planning on doing but I'll have to admit, it looks much better than I expected.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:04 PM   #3
Honcho

Great idea! I'll have to do the same..
Honcho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:06 PM   #4
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

That is a great idea. I am going to definitely be coping that.
Bert Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:35 PM   #5
bosshoss

Hey Tony,,,I too have had the main shaft slide out of position thus locking the drive to the kayak. Pain in the wazoo for sure. Learned to do minor tune ups on the drive , but think you have a novel idea carrying spare parts with you, just in case....

Wondering what you paid for the kit ?

Thanks......

Last edited by bosshoss; 04-18-2014 at 06:40 PM.
bosshoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:38 PM   #6
driftwood

Good Job Tony! your Baja video was really good stuff. I would also replace both sprockets and shaft on your drive.

I noticed there is no space between the top of your sprockets and the bottom of the spline.

Notice how much space there is between the spline and sprockets in the picture below. Your sprockets are really worn-out. I would not tighten the chains any more.

driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:49 PM   #7
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
Good Job Tony! your Baja video was really good stuff. I would also replace both sprockets and shaft on your drive.

I noticed there is no space between the top of your sprockets and the bottom of the spline.

Notice how much space there is between the spline and sprockets in the picture below. Your sprockets are really worn-out. I would not tighten the chains any more.

Good observation, it looks like there is no space inbetween but its just the angle of the picture, there's space. But in any case your right, i havent replaced them yet and i should...i replaced just about everything else except the spine...
Old 04-18-2014, 06:51 PM   #8
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosshoss View Post
Hey Tony,,,I too have had the main shaft slide out of position thus locking the drive to the kayak. Pain in the wazoo for sure. Learned to do minor tune ups on the drive , but think you have a novel idea carrying spare parts with you, just in case....

Wondering what you paid for the kit ?

Thanks......

I think it was 120, call andy at OEX and make sure.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:59 PM   #9
bosshoss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
I think it was 120, call andy at OEX and make sure.
Thanks Tony.....
bosshoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 07:35 PM   #10
driftwood

Oh ok got it.

That mikey, pissing against the wind! I can't wait to see him again and bust him. Whats wrong with that boy!
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 02:28 PM   #11
Rambo

I like to know when was the last time you replace any parts on the mirage drive? Also how many days you put on the mirage drive before any failure occur. Kinda want to gage the factor of repair before I start buying parts to keep in the kayak. Or if anyone can help with these answers. 1st time owning a hobie.
Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 04:37 PM   #12
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
I like to know when was the last time you replace any parts on the mirage drive? Also how many days you put on the mirage drive before any failure occur. Kinda want to gage the factor of repair before I start buying parts to keep in the kayak. Or if anyone can help with these answers. 1st time owning a hobie.
My mirage drive is about 3 years old, first time i replaced the masts. I broke one of the crank arms, idler pulley, changed out the drive cables, idler cable, changed out the drums....and thats about it. I use it at least once or twice a week.

As far as failure of parts...you just never know. It could happen at any time, to anyone. Anybody that has a used drive and you dont know the history of ...would make me nervous. Its expensive but a good investment. You never know when you can help yourself or someone else with a critical spare part.

To any other PA owners out there that only go fishing with a half a paddle....do yourself a favor and take the other half...otherwise your up shit creek with....only half a paddle...you know 1 legged man in an ass kickn contest....you get the picture.

Yes PAs are hard to paddle...but if your drive breaks....its your only way of getting home under your own power.
Old 04-19-2014, 05:00 PM   #13
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ful-rac View Post
My mirage drive is about 3 years old, first time i replaced the masts. I broke one of the crank arms, idler pulley, changed out the drive cables, idler cable, changed out the drums....and thats about it. I use it at least once or twice a week.

As far as failure of parts...you just never know. It could happen at any time, to anyone. Anybody that has a used drive and you dont know the history of ...would make me nervous. Its expensive but a good investment. You never know when you can help yourself or someone else with a critical spare part.

To any other PA owners out there that only go fishing with a half a paddle....do yourself a favor and take the other half...otherwise your up shit creek with....only half a paddle...you know 1 legged man in an ass kickn contest....you get the picture.

Yes PAs are hard to paddle...but if your drive breaks....its your only way of getting home under your own power.
The failure of the drive components is very unpredictable. As an example, I had the drive on my previous kayak for four years and all I replaced were the cables, the idler pulley and a shaft. Tony, he replaced damn near every part in less time. I carry spare cables and a few feet of Dacron just in case my rudder line snaps......... better safe than sorry.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 11:27 PM   #14
Rambo

Thanks for the great feedback and knowledge of the mirage drive guys. From a product perspective the mirage drive should not fail within the first year unless operator error or misuse. But considering the fact you went on 3 years on a used mirage drive that tells me the rate of failure should be very low. So it's safe to say after 2 years of usage its good to start having some extra parts in case of some faultiness with the mirage drive. And for those who does not maintenance their drive I would say you guys should be keeping some spare parts within the first year. Also if your not mechanically incline to disassemble and reassemble the drive buy an extra set and leave that in your car. This would be my opinion on a product that will see failure due to wear and tear but with proper maintenance I could see the product lasting 4 years without major components replacement.
Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 05:54 AM   #15
roadx

curious if you even tried to remove the flipper and just use the one pedal?
sometime you have to do, what you have to do
having a back up plan either spare parts or a paddle is always smart.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:15 AM   #16
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
Thanks for the great feedback and knowledge of the mirage drive guys. From a product perspective the mirage drive should not fail within the first year unless operator error or misuse. But considering the fact you went on 3 years on a used mirage drive that tells me the rate of failure should be very low. So it's safe to say after 2 years of usage its good to start having some extra parts in case of some faultiness with the mirage drive. And for those who does not maintenance their drive I would say you guys should be keeping some spare parts within the first year. Also if your not mechanically incline to disassemble and reassemble the drive buy an extra set and leave that in your car. This would be my opinion on a product that will see failure due to wear and tear but with proper maintenance I could see the product lasting 4 years without major components replacement.
Quote:
But considering the fact you went on 3 years on a used mirage drive that tells me the rate of failure should be very low. So it's safe to say after 2 years of usage its good to start having some extra parts in case of some faultiness with the mirage drive.

No, my mirage drive was brand new when i got it. It did not fail for the first time last week. Its failed rarely but it has failed every once and awhile throughout the time i have owned it.

You shouldnt assume anything will be fine after 2 years. Consider it like having a spare tire for your car or a patch kit. Sure you just bought new tires today but its possible that you could get a flat tomorrow...for what ever reason. Now would you leave the spare at home because you got a new set?

My situation i should have known better and had spare parts....

So basically, i got a flat and i didnt buy a spare, so i had to push my car home, up hill on sand....
Old 04-20-2014, 06:21 AM   #17
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadx View Post
curious if you even tried to remove the flipper and just use the one pedal?
sometime you have to do, what you have to do
having a back up plan either spare parts or a paddle is always smart.

Yeah i tried to pedal with one fin..and it resulted in the PA violently rocking back and forth, and not much forward momentum. Paddling seemed like it was going to be quickest way and the most reasonable method to get back.