Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2014, 12:04 AM   #1
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Rescue boat stole my hoop net

Was out at Santa Monica bay , Relocating my traps rescue boat pulls up about half a mile ask the boat and divers who's is the hoop net they don't claim so they take off with it..... It just finished checking it......... Anyone know who I contact to get it back?

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 02:17 AM   #2
ceruleandrms

That sucks! Sorry to hear that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ceruleandrms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 05:18 AM   #3
wiredantz

Kayakers told me they picked up about 7 yesterday because people leave them in attended, I'm supposed to get 2 hours !!! That's messed up

You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
Old 10-04-2014, 06:17 AM   #4
Saba Slayer

Redondo?

If you were hooping the Redondo Breakwall the HARBOR PATROL NAZIS got your gear and you can call them and usually get it back.
R.B. Harbor Patrol (310) 318-0632
I've had numerous run-ins with them about the 2 hour soak time...They claim that their sphere of influence or ability to regulate as they like, is anywhere close to the harbor. It's a real conundrum because there are no written rules in the Redondo City charter about hoop netting regulations...the SOB's feel that they can make up whatever regulations they like. I not sure how to handle this, since having the city write up some new hooping regs could only open up a Pandora's box of potential problems.
I was hooping for crab about a mile or more from the mouth of the harbor and fishing about another mile away from my nets when they rolled up on my gear. I hightailed it over there and ID'd my gear and they said that I needed to be in attendance of my nets...I said I was and read them the DFW 2 hour reg. and gave them a copy of my book with the regs explained in simple language so that even a Harbor Patrol duffus could understand them.
When you retrieve your gear, please ask them to explain their homemade regulations and please get back to us with some new info.
Please let them know that you think it's unfair to the kayakers to punish them for not being able to power over to your gear immediately as a power boater could.
Good Luck

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 07:46 AM   #5
pbb

I don't think they need anything in the Redondo City Charter, as the DFG regs say: "Any hoop net abandoned or left unchecked for more than 2 hours may be considered abandoned and may be seized by any person authorized to enforce these regulations."

The question is whether they are are authorized. It might be most productive to try to have a conversation with DFG about whether they are authorized, and if they are that they need more training (or at least a reminder) that the regs say they need to be checked every two hours, not that they need to constantly "attended." Since the regs allow you 5, you can't sit on top of all of them.

But if they are going to be overzealous, what about doing something like putting a tag on the float that you can mark the last time you checked (or maybe your cell number if you have reception on the water). Like cutting a diver's slate into smaller tags? Although you shouldn't have to, seems like it might save some headaches.
pbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 08:22 AM   #6
wiredantz

I called redondo harbor patrol and they have it and picked it up. They said I need to be within a flash light view of my buoys because boats can run over them and crash on the rocks.... They said they don't want buoys left unattended ...... He said they will always leave them at their dock if they take them. I didn't want to argue with them so early in the morning...

I had mines placed about half a mile off the rocks .

Old 10-04-2014, 10:43 AM   #7
Saba Slayer

WTF

WTF is "within a flashlight view" ...?
And the next Harbor Patrol guy will give you another answer...?
Bunch of Bozos...!

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 12:23 PM   #8
jorluivil

They're always making shit up as they go, that's why I tend to stay away from that area.

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 05:18 PM   #9
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
WTF is "within a flashlight view" ...?
And the next Harbor Patrol guy will give you another answer...?
Bunch of Bozos...!
Get a 1000 lumen cree, I can see mine from at least a mile away!

http://www.amazon.com/MECO-1000-Lume.../dp/B0079EP0KK

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 11:20 AM   #10
taggermike

Lets cut the BS and nonsense. Are these guys just stealing bugs?

This was a while ago but always comes to my mind when I hear stiff like this.
http://www.diver.net/bbs/messages3/22287.shtml Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 01:04 PM   #11
kiyo21

not sure but i think this happened to me last night at newport, my dad and i dropped our nets next to the rocks and 4 out of 6 went missing before the fist pull??!
kiyo21 is offline   Reply With Quote