Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2015, 05:33 PM   #1
kiyo21

Just picked me up a new reel

The daiwa saltiest BG35H for some yoyo iron, looking to target YT, WSB, BUTT ect... What rod would any of you recommend to pair up with it? I was thinking a 7'8"-8' medium heavy fast action for about 20-30 or 40 rating sound good? Or what should I change? I'm probably gunna use 65-80 braid with a 25-30 leader.
kiyo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 06:28 PM   #2
FARRIER

I fish that reel 65# izor to 20-40 pound flouro. It rotates between a seeker classic 20-40, 900j, and a 50# yoyo stick. I like it for flylining, yoyo, but loooove it for surface iron. Its a very forgiving caster. Its caught tuna to 45, a million yt, wsb and just needed its first full service after a few great years of service.
Old 05-30-2015, 07:00 PM   #3
kiyo21

Quote:
Originally Posted by FARRIER View Post
I fish that reel 65# izor to 20-40 pound flouro. It rotates between a seeker classic 20-40, 900j, and a 50# yoyo stick. I like it for flylining, yoyo, but loooove it for surface iron. Its a very forgiving caster. Its caught tuna to 45, a million yt, wsb and just needed its first full service after a few great years of service.

Very nice! Makes me happy to hear that I made a good choice, what length of rod do you use for the yoyo?
kiyo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:00 AM   #4
tanners
Junior

Fantastic reel. I use mine for surface iron on a custom 90j I wrapped but any 6' rod with a fairly stout action will serve you well for yoyo. I use a 6' Sturdy Stik that I've had for years and will be using for years to come. It's only $30, too.
tanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:00 PM   #5
Sir LJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanners View Post
Fantastic reel. I use mine for surface iron on a custom 90j I wrapped but any 6' rod with a fairly stout action will serve you well for yoyo. I use a 6' Sturdy Stik that I've had for years and will be using for years to come. It's only $30, too.
What's the action on the sturdy stik?
Sir LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:09 PM   #6
tanners
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir LJ View Post
What's the action on the sturdy stik?
It's fairly parabolic once it starts to bend and has a medium-soft tip. It can be used for pretty heavy weights/jigs and trolling but once a fish takes it, the rod has an arc from about 4" above the handle to the tip and is rather flexible.
tanners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:28 AM   #7
taggermike

Yoyo iron fishing isnt subtle, requires little or no casting, and is all about power. So a pure yoyo rod doesn't need to be long or sensitive. 6-7 feet, glass or graphite, and rated to fish 40-60 lb. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote