Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2006, 09:44 AM   #1
Dan

7/21 LJ

Launched at 4ish into zero surf and a persistant NW wind. Greenies a plenty at the pier and off I head to the deep end. Put baits out past the point at grey light and drifted south with the wind and current. Got called in on a big fish bite by someone who was working inside the bull kelp while I was outside. As I get into the zone, both my bait rigs light up! Flip them both into gear, and I have double going-----a double of cuda!

Got really fishy out there around sunrise with some footprints here and there and some fantastic meter marks....I ended up trading all of my baits for toad calicos and teething cudas. I then plugged and ironed my way back in against the wind for an 'early' 10AM meeting.

Despite the wind blowing most of the night and this morning, the water temp is still holding at 72. Additionally, heard of some squid being jigged over the canyon edge.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:52 AM   #2
nmbrinkman
Work Sucks!

Re: 7/21 LJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
... heard of some squid being jigged over the canyon edge.
I've never fished that far north, but I hear that the canyon edge is a good spot during the winter....does anyone fish it for YT/WSB during the summer or is it a rock fish spot in the warmer months?
nmbrinkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 06:10 PM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

I picked up a Grandwave 20 at Big 5 yesterday $120. Spooled it up and took it for a ride. 6AM on the big greenback around the bull kelp.
17 pounder. Calicos were liking the big baits, ate all mine by 8 AM. They were also liking the 7X bl/w mac. Thats my kind of bass fishing, 40# line and a 9 foot stick

Old 07-21-2006, 06:34 PM   #4
hooked
on phonics

nice fish, talked to you on the beach, After the calicos decided to rip up most of my bait by about 7:30, I decided to quit fighing it, and began throwing the swimbait, and had a steady pick of c/r calicos for the rest of the morning, on my light rig, a lot of fun. I was way down south before I knew it, and had to battle the current and the wind back. I been thinking of hitting up the bay, just to catch some fish (the right kind have been a long time in coming), but the calicos helped get my fix for a while. Back next week in search of the YT
Old 07-21-2006, 07:36 PM   #5
kurt

Sweet fish. Who makes a Grandwave 20? Are you guaranteed a YT first time out of the box with it?
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 07:45 PM   #6
Iceman
Administrator

Kurt it is a Diawa, regularly $199, pretty good reel for $120