Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2010, 04:26 PM   #1
IntrntFshrman

Hobie Pro Angler Question

For those of you that have Pro Anglers, I'm wondering what' it's like getting into the kayak at surf launch? I have a tough enough time getting in quickly on my Malibu X-Factor and the raised chair on the Pro Angler makes me think it might take a few precious seconds extra to get situated which could make the difference between beating the surf and getting beaten by the surf.

Can you guys give some insight into this? I'm really thinking of getting one in the next few months.

Thanks!
IntrntFshrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
Billy V

I don't know about the Pro Angler, but I can tell you about my Revo and Adventure.

On either yak I hop in and charged through whatever surf was in front of me by peddling and steering with the rudder.

-I land the same way, and bungie the peddles apart at the last second.

This Video may help...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-GJ9LAGp94

Last edited by Billy V; 04-05-2010 at 07:13 PM.
Billy V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:11 PM   #3
toby

Surf Entry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecollins86 View Post
For those of you that have Pro Anglers, I'm wondering what' it's like getting into the kayak at surf launch? I have a tough enough time getting in quickly on my Malibu X-Factor and the raised chair on the Pro Angler makes me think it might take a few precious seconds extra to get situated which could make the difference between beating the surf and getting beaten by the surf.

Can you guys give some insight into this? I'm really thinking of getting one in the next few months.

Thanks!

I'm new at this, but I went out last week on a two to three foot day. I didn't use my drive, just my paddle. I watch the surf for a few sets an tried to go when it was in between sets. I kept the bow of the boat perpendicular to the surf. I walked out to water just above the knees and jumped on the seat and paddled as fast as I could.

I talked to a couple Hobie guys at the ramp. They said I should use the drive next time.

Good luck
Tim
toby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 08:16 PM   #4
-scallywag-
Banned

I'm sure due to the increased height it's a little harder to board in knee to waist deep water, but its also much more stable....I think the bigger issue with the prangler and bigger surf is the volume of water that the cockpit can hold after taking a good one over the bow, it may take 10 seconds or longer to drain out which is just enough time for the next one to come over the bow and fill it back up, can you say submarine??...

As for the Hobie launch and landing technique, I would be careful about following that videos instructions, especially in larger surf. I regularly launch and fish from other near by beach and reef breaks where the surf is considerably larger and breaking much further out, and by far the most effective method I have tried is the following.

Launch - I launch with the fins installed and bunged back, with the rudder UP!! I use the paddle to keep position and get moving to deeper water while i un-bungie the fins, then start peddling using the paddle to stay perpendicular. I do not recomend the rudder in the surfzone because it takes too long for the boat to respond if you get knocked sideways, once sideways with the rudder down and no paddle in hand to "brace" with it's all over.

Landing - Once again, Rudder Up !!!! I usually remove the drive fins completely (you have a drive leash don't you?) and bungie them between my legs so they cant get forced apart during a "side slip" ride in. If the fins get sucked down while side slipping you will pretty much get catapulted off the yak. In larger waves the rudder easily gets overpowered and turned to one side or the other while you get ejected.

Anyway I hope this helps someone, cause following that instructional video is a planned disaster in bigger surf....I know there's a few other guys who regularly launch and land hobies in larger surf.....even after the sun has long dipped below the horizon , maybe they can chime in if i missed something.
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 07:28 AM   #5
toby

Thanks for the info scallywag! I'm headed down to the shores today and intend to practice going in and out of the surf for awhile.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:10 AM   #6
j mo

Quote:
Once again, Rudder Up !!!! I usually remove the drive fins completely (you have a drive leash don't you?) and bungie them between my legs so they cant get forced apart during a "side slip" ride in. If the fins get sucked down while side slipping you will pretty much get catapulted off the yak. In larger waves the rudder easily gets overpowered and turned to one side or the other while you get ejected.
I've seen Jeremiah use his technique in action is very effective, esp in large surf. As for side slippin when landing I just peg one of my feet down on the drive while bungeed and this has worked well in preventing the drive from forcing open. Though im sure Ill dump now having written this.

Have to say though vs my malibu the revo outperforms in the surf hands down.

Side note: Waded out last Friday, waited for a lul in between sets, jumped in, peddled like crazy ony to realize I was peddeling backwards!!!! Im blaiming lack of sleep, I put my mirage drive in backwards!!!It was pure horse hair and no doubt comedy from the shore! Thankfully it ended ok.

Last edited by j mo; 04-06-2010 at 08:56 AM.
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:45 AM   #7
Rob929

I used to only use the paddle both launching and landing.. and finally started using the fins.. Huge difference. I get about knee deep, and drop rudder and pedals in. You can really power out through the surf- and at that pace, its relatively easy to keep straight.

I have started using the pedals landing as well. Its especially helpful when the surf is up. Keep an eye on the timing of the sets. wait for your break, but also try to stay right behind the last wave of the set. With the drive, you can outpace incoming waves, and get into 3-4 feet of water pretty quickly if you then need to jump out and stabilize things. I love the speed of the turbo fins in these situations..
Rob929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:58 AM   #8
IntrntFshrman

So would you guys say that because the fins give you much more speed, you can get IN the pro angler earlier (i.e. knee deep) which gets rid of the problem of getting in fast in the first place? I got in around waste deep with the xfactor and this is an issue for me, being 'somewhat' larger than most....(325)
IntrntFshrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 11:02 AM   #9
-scallywag-
Banned

I guess everyone has their own idea of what "large surf" is but if you can outrun the whitewater then its just another day at the shores....if you have to weave thu a couple short boarders,then get your hat wet riding in on the inside whitewater without going over then you have found yourself some surf!
Old 04-06-2010, 11:22 AM   #10
-scallywag-
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecollins86 View Post
So would you guys say that because the fins give you much more speed, you can get IN the pro angler earlier (i.e. knee deep) which gets rid of the problem of getting in fast in the first place? I got in around waste deep with the xfactor and this is an issue for me, being 'somewhat' larger than most....(325)
No worries Mike!!!
Getting on in shallow water is no prob, just have the fins bungied and the rudder up, then paddle out a little (pretend its the x-factor) so the fins don't hit bottom (2-3ft deep), then unbungie the fins and go, using the paddle to stear. sometimes i even stall in that 2-3ft zone just staying perpendicular to the waves and wait for a set to pass before haulin thru the.
99.9% of the time LJ is easily do-able using the methods others have described, you probably won't even get wet in the prangler, although I would still never use the rudder in the surf zone....but i guess thats just me??
So what r u waiting for....buy the thing already and lets fish!!!!
Old 04-06-2010, 04:47 PM   #11
toby

Hey guys!

Wanted to let you know what I learned today launching through the surf. Heading out was not a problem just paddle hard and fast. The Pro Angler is a little difficult due to it's width. I practice in an empty yak today.

1) Secure all items and tie down lines.

2) Take time to read the surf: be patient. I came in a little to soon, got sideways and pitched out of the yak. The boat landed on top of me, I came up for a quick breath and then more white water over me.

3) I didn't tie down my drive as suggested in this post. Big mistake! I think my leg got tangled in the drive leash. I was waiting for the boat to wash over me. Well it didn't. Tired of waiting, I stood up. And things were cool except my pride in front of all the kayak classes.

Wasn't to bad:

Hope I didn't bore you guys that know what you're doing. This was just for new guys like me.

Hope it helps

Tim