Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 05-25-2018, 08:11 AM   #1
jlabs63

LJ Report (Sort of): 5/24

A friend and I decided to take the RIB out for a spin yesterday. Hit the water around 6:45 with two other yakers. No surf at the launch, but did get some wind and swell out on the fishing grounds. The water was murky green, but seemed pretty fishy to start; my buddy caught a nice rockfish and a 16" calico on a Hookup Bait while on his 1st and 2nd cast while I was making bait. Made about 10 mac (mostly GBs) right off the kelp in about 30 minutes.

Started trolling a flyline and a dropperloop close to the kelp looking for and then out deeper. Marked a ton of stuff, mostly redcrab and bait. Dropped iron on them, all for nada. We dicked around catching and releasing more calicos. I didn't see anybody else hook up, but hope they got one.
jlabs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2018, 05:29 PM   #2
cris

Sounds similar to last weekend with lots of bait and crabs but no
I'm going to try and head out tomorrow morning and see whether I can find any willing to bite!
cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 03:50 PM   #3
TJones

Way to start off the report

I’ll put in my 2 cents. That was me on PA that launched at the same time as you. I fished hard till almost 18:00 and came up short . When I decided to head in, the dogs were hard on my six. Met another new face just as I was going in. After I packed up, I went back to launch to get some intel from him. He said he hooked up twice and was kelped. I’m leaning towards him being picked up by the dogs. On the other hand, I can testify to the fact that it did massively improve around 17:30. All morning long, as you know the bait was loosely free swimming. Towards dusk, things dramatically started to change. Every bait ball I saw was packed up and being hounded. Catching never happened, but having the water to ourselves is a sure blessing. The sun only reared it’s head a few times and quickly retreated. The Jewel ain’t ready to give it up so easily, just yet. Tight lines.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 04:02 PM   #4
cris

I was out until 1300 today. It was lumpy and colder but otherwise similar to last saturday. Very few kayakers out there and a couple more boats. Bait was easy to come by and this time the sea lions were a little more quiet; only stealing 3 baits. I didn't hook up and didn't see many who did.
cris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 11:14 AM   #5
jlabs63

Yep, lots of life but nothing biting. She will start giving it up again soon enough!
jlabs63 is offline   Reply With Quote