Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
sasha

Roof Rack

Here is my dilema I got a 2012 civic and a stealth-14. I want to put a roof rack on the car but afraid to damage the paint or the rubber seals on the doors. What everyone is doing to protect the car from the damage?? Everytime I think about getting a roofrack I think of the damage and back off. Any experience about long term use to you put the rack on and off or do you just leave it on all ways...
For now Im using my 81 VW camper but that thing is over 7ft tall closer to 8. (need a chair to tie the kayak) and its slow. Its just just a headache to use the van.
sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:56 AM   #2
Dannowar

If it helps sway your decision, why would you want to beat up your new civic. Use the van, leave earlier if you're worried about how slow it is.
Old 03-31-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
tacmik

Have you thought about a trailer?
Old 03-31-2013, 12:56 PM   #4
sasha

The van is very old and it shows.. Great for camping and for what it is.. Don't want to just wear it out. Also the hight of the van is a killer and the kayak is not light. I did think about the trailer and been thinking about it alot. Only thing is parking at some places would be hard to find for a trailer..But other wise it might be a great option..
I want to make a weight all the options to see which one is the better one. Till then its my van who is going to take care of my kayaking.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:39 PM   #5
GR6RR
Lucky Fisher

quit being a baby. I had a yakima rack on my lexus ls430 to transport my S14 back and forth from SGV to OC waters almost every weekend. At the end... it's only a honda..
Old 04-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #6
CKallday71

This is why I love my Golf. I can stuff everyting in it or on it and never sweat anything. It carries my Yak on top no sweat and looks like I'm transporting a Cruise Missile. I get lots of stares going 80 down the freeway. And because it's a TDI (Turbo Diesel) I still get close to 40MPG.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2013-03-12_19-09-47_999_0.jpg (52.5 KB, 155 views)
CKallday71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:34 PM   #7
fishingfiend

If it's your daily driver, it will get door dings/scratches/etc, so use your vehicle to do something you enjoy and accept that you cannot protect her all the time.

I upgraded from factory subaru roof bars to the whispbars and they are much better. I leave them on all the time now. If you're worried about scratches, you can clearbra the mount areas.

If I can transport a PA12 on the roof of my STI, you're out of excuses.
fishingfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:56 PM   #8
FishNinjaY

I have a slightly extra wide bar on my Honda, and I carry two kayaks side-by-side. A heavy Hobie tandem Oasis, and a Malibu Mini-X (which is pretty wide). Looks a bit funny, but I don't care.

I don't think there's any scratches or damage from my Yakima Q-Towers. The Q-clips come with these vinyl stickers. My car is old and kind of a beater anyways. I'm not sure where you are kayaking, but if you are doing any ocean kayaking/fishing, there will probably be sand and saltwater dripping or pouring onto your car as you drive home. That's probably more "damaging" than the roof rack. Also, I would imagine the greatest chances of paint damage is constantly taking the roof rack off and back on. I keep mine on, with two sets of kayak saddles. If you have wheels, you might also be able to lay a towel or piece of carpet out over your car front or rear, then put the wheel cart upside down, and use the wheels to help roll your kayak up to the top of your roof rack. I saw a youtube video of this, and it seemed like a good idea. I haven't had to do this, but the video made it look pretty easy for this little girl to load a kayak solo.

Good luck.
FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #9
Redeyejedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKallday71 View Post
This is why I love my Golf. I can stuff everyting in it or on it and never sweat anything. It carries my Yak on top no sweat and looks like I'm transporting a Cruise Missile. I get lots of stares going 80 down the freeway. And because it's a TDI (Turbo Diesel) I still get close to 40MPG.
yes.

i too greatly enjoy the benefits of turbocharged direct injection.
now the whispbars on a yakrak

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfiend View Post
If it's your daily driver, it will get door dings/scratches/etc, so use your vehicle to do something you enjoy and accept that you cannot protect her all the time.

I upgraded from factory subaru roof bars to the whispbars and they are much better. I leave them on all the time now. If you're worried about scratches, you can clearbra the mount areas.

If I can transport a PA12 on the roof of my STI, you're out of excuses.
yes again.
nice ride btw....
and the car looks cool too!
Redeyejedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:55 AM   #10
CKallday71

Why anyone would buy a Hybrid when TDI is available is beyond my understanding. Tango Delta India is the way to go.

And I love the fact that my Golf looks like I'm transporting a Cruise Missile when I'm on the road. I always get people pointing and staring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
yes.

i too greatly enjoy the benefits of turbocharged direct injection.
now the whispbars on a yakrak

yes again.
nice ride btw....
and the car looks cool too!
Old 04-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #11
Redeyejedi

Quote:
Why anyone would buy a Hybrid when TDI is available is beyond my understanding. Tango Delta India is the way to go.

And I love the fact that my Golf looks like I'm transporting a Cruise Missile when I'm on the road. I always get people pointing and staring.
i hear there....i tell people the mpg's advertised and what i get and they dont believe it, but my wallet sure does! the hybrids do fare better in traffic and tight city driving where you're using 1st n 2nd often...but...stay in 6th@80 and see 60-80mpg!!!

on a side-note:
inquired about a HOV lane sticker on account of ridiculously great gas mileage...better than hybrids at hwy speed (WAAAY better) and it's about emissions, not mpg's . so... ULEVs, SLEVs only for now in HOV lanes.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:24 PM   #12
CKallday71

Of course. The HOV lane is for the people that prescribe to the politically correct idea that Hybrids and Electric cars are "Green" and "Saving the planet" not for cars that REALLY get great highway fuel economy.

BTW, what dealer did you get your TDI from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeyejedi View Post
i hear there....i tell people the mpg's advertised and what i get and they dont believe it, but my wallet sure does! the hybrids do fare better in traffic and tight city driving where you're using 1st n 2nd often...but...stay in 6th@80 and see 60-80mpg!!!

on a side-note:
inquired about a HOV lane sticker on account of ridiculously great gas mileage...better than hybrids at hwy speed (WAAAY better) and it's about emissions, not mpg's . so... ULEVs, SLEVs only for now in HOV lanes.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:36 PM   #13
Redeyejedi

Quote:
Of course. The HOV lane is for the people that prescribe to the politically correct idea that Hybrids and Electric cars are "Green" and "Saving the planet" not for cars that REALLY get great highway fuel economy.

BTW, what dealer did you get your TDI from?
well, hybrids and electric ARE cleaner, emmision wise...near zero when motor is running...but i can't hear em coming from behind me and it's MY fault? o_O
i went to santamonica VW and they were not talking my language...got picked up by a really nice saleslady from PacificVW...many hours later drove home in a 2011TDI jetta.

waaaay better than the 17-21 i averaged in the pickup

another good mgp option is the kia optima gdi

Last edited by Redeyejedi; 04-02-2013 at 01:40 PM. Reason: :)
Old 04-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #14
sasha

I like some of the pics you guys posted of your kayak on top of the car..
Used to have a 89 geo metro. 45mpg city and about 60mpg on the freeway. Best ever on the freeway was 68mpg. Take that prius owners.
As someone mentioned the salt water.. I guess that would be a a good reason to wash the car more often. Thing is I plan to keep the car for atlist 10 years or longer.. Going to see how much a trailer hitch for the civic would cost.. for now its the job for my VW next time I would take a pic to show the kayak on top ..