Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-25-2008, 01:30 PM   #1
zachmro
Bent Rods!!

My first Yellowtail 8/22 La Jolla

I hit La Jolla Shores around 5 AM and headed out with a big bag of dead squid hearing some guys were having luck getting yellowtail near the bottom with 3 oz of weight. I had no luck until about 9 AM when I paddled out further to join the head boats and many other kayaks.

I decided to troll a fishtrap with a small triangle of squid, as I paddled over there hoping for a bonito or yellow. As soon as I reached the head boats, it seemed everyone decided it was time to go and by 9:30, I was basically all alone. I was catching whitefish off the bottom using squid and had sort of forgotten about my fishtrap.

At 10 AM, I start feeling myself going backwards and once I untangle my line from my PVC rigged tube rod holder, the fight is on. This rod is mainly meant to be my bait rod and has a pretty cheapo reel, but it worked well enough to finally wear out this 36 inch 18 lb Yella - no gaff needed. This is my first year kayak fishing and I have already gotten my first WSB approx 36 inch 18 lb on a greenback mac. I guess my next hunt is for halibut. What a great sport!!
Attached Images

zachmro is offline   Reply With Quote