Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2013, 06:26 AM   #1
TJones

Shark shield

Anyone try it out ? Or have any opinions about the product . Personally I don't think it is all that necessary at Lj, Malibu is a different story . Is just my encounter , or is Malibu just the perfect grounds ?
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
i think i am the only one here...

I got new one on the cheap via ebay...I do believe they work...my friend Jon Schwartz tested it on a Tiger shark in Kona and it worked...if you are married with kids and have a good job and you kayak offshore then it is a good extra protection to have especially with the HUGE increase in seals...
http://www.sharkshield.com/blog/jon-...ifornia-usa/20

BTW most kayakers or guides will not talk about their GWS close encounters except to close friends..

Did you see a GWS?
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #3
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
is Malibu just the perfect grounds ?
Malibu has it's dangers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SeeRobRu.jpg (38.6 KB, 217 views)
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 09:49 AM   #4
Old Man in the Sea

is that real?
Old 12-09-2013, 09:55 AM   #5
driftwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man in the Sea View Post
is that real?
Old picture not for real....Fiska man wants everyone to keep away from his fishing grounds.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #6
Fiskadoro

Quote:
is that real?

Ha Ha Ha..... Run Rob Run....it's a old Joke pic I made up with Photoshop. Someone took a pic Rob paddling like hell for a BKR bite, and I just added some incentive.

Whatever floats your boat on the shark shield. In other words if it gives you peace of mind go for it.

The deal is it's got a limited range. I'd think it would probably deter a inquisitive shark from taking a nibble but a big white coming straight up from deep water in full attack mode might not even notice it.

There are definitely whites that frequent Malibu and a while back some kayakers were even killed there by a white shark there. That said the odds of getting killed by one while fishing there are pretty slim.
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:55 PM   #7
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

its not necessary.

I've had three encounters with white sharks while kayaking. one, just as big as the PA, was within arms reach In La Jolla.

its the ones you don't see you should be aware of. and they don't care about any shark shield.

out here, if you don't want to see the sharks, kill and bleed out a blacktip. but know there are bigger sharks looking for that blacktip.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:04 AM   #8
bigbarrels

Ever year someone seems to get circled or has a sighting in La Jolla. Just a matter of time before someone has the wrong type of encounter. So I think I may test run one of these one day
Old 12-10-2013, 10:05 AM   #9
Jim Sammons LJKF

I admit I was very skeptical on the Shark Shield when it first came out.
When I posted the video of the shark taking a fish from my hand in NZ, http://youtu.be/EpbNMk7Y3ic , Shark Shield approached me and asked if I would be interested in their product.
They sent me a unit to test and I can tell you straight up it works. I have seen it first hand turn a shark away on a few occasions while shooting my show. I had a Tiger start swimming up to me in NC this year, I turned the unit on and the shark bolted. I have had the same situation with White Tips.
Will is dissuade a charging Whitey, I have no idea. But during those moments when you are in the landing process and have that fish struggling right next to the kayak it does work. This is the time I am generally the most concerned, not that the shark will hit me but that it will take my fish and in the process injure me or knock me from my kayak.

Is this something you need in LJ, you will have to make the call. In some of the very sharky places I have been, it sure gives a little added comfort. Particularly when you dangle your feet as much as I do.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 10:32 AM   #10
Old Man in the Sea

thanks for the post Jim...

Yea I saw that New Zealand video and it was definately sharky...
OK now 2 kayak guys I know and trust have actually tested them and they did work...enough proof for me...they work- and next best thing is a big club
Old 12-11-2013, 02:38 PM   #11
ROOKIE87

what's the cheapest you found one? I think the cheapest i have seen is 550
ROOKIE87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 04:45 PM   #12
tacmik

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROOKIE87 View Post
what's the cheapest you found one? I think the cheapest i have seen is 550
Picture of my mother in law glued to the bottom of my kayak. FREE
Old 12-12-2013, 08:01 AM   #13
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiskadoro View Post
Ha Ha Ha..... Run Rob Run....it's a old Joke pic I made up with Photoshop. Someone took a pic Rob paddling like hell for a BKR bite, and I just added some incentive.

Whatever floats your boat on the shark shield. In other words if it gives you peace of mind go for it.

The deal is it's got a limited range. I'd think it would probably deter a inquisitive shark from taking a nibble but a big white coming straight up from deep water in full attack mode might not even notice it.

There are definitely whites that frequent Malibu and a while back some kayakers were even killed there by a white shark there. That said the odds of getting killed by one while fishing there are pretty slim.
I always see great whites in Malibu, earlier this year. This huge fin was patrolling the outside of the kelp line. I even warned a a scuba diver. The scuba diver reaction was the funniest, he said "if its my time to go then it is my time."

I continued on.

All i know, is if i see a shark. I go the opposite way...

About the shark shield, I am very skeptical about it. The shark can either run away from it, or tear it apart.

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 11:17 AM   #14
Old Man in the Sea

the old man got the worm...

They don't call me a baller for nothing...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shark shield.jpg (22.3 KB, 62 views)
Old 12-12-2013, 12:53 PM   #15
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

Quote:
They don't call me a baller for nothing...

Are you sure its Genuine & not a fake?

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 02:30 PM   #16
Dannowar

Careful, they might send you a Viking shield with a shark painted on it for less than 200 bucks...
Old 12-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #17
Old Man in the Sea

Yes - it was brand new in original packaging...I charged it 4.5 hours and light turned green signaling a full charge like it was supposed to ...it lasts about 7-8 hours....I am sure my higher power helped me to find it....hopefully I will never run into a GWS up close
Old 12-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #18
TJones

Thx for help

Especially from the current owners. Of corse I had already watched both of Jim's vids. That gws in pic looks like the one that just about popped me at Malibu . Somewhat of a provoked investigation . Hanging yum yum yellow bait tank off side , secured with day glow orange nylon web belt 5 feet long . Totally looked like blood trail . The shark was real aggressive , and hungry . About a hour or two later , gws was seen breaking surface to gobble a seal . A scene from national geographic . I am totally comfortable at Lj , Malibu gives me creeps now .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 03:00 PM   #19
Dannowar

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
Especially from the current owners. Of corse I had already watched both of Jim's vids. That gws in pic looks like the one that just about popped me at Malibu . Somewhat of a provoked investigation . Hanging yum yum yellow bait tank off side , secured with day glow orange nylon web belt 5 feet long . Totally looked like blood trail . The shark was real aggressive , and hungry . About a hour or two later , gws was seen breaking surface to gobble a seal . A scene from national geographic . I am totally comfortable at Lj , Malibu gives me creeps now .

Way bigger ones at lj bro....

Malibu is the playground...lj is the arena