Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2011, 08:44 PM   #1
jorluivil

Halibut Rig

This is my first 'How To' video.

">

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
roby
CEO of Team Roby

Great, awesome youtube video. I was taking notes the whole time. Absolutely amazing...I can't wait to see more.

roby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:22 PM   #3
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby View Post
Great, awesome youtube video. I was taking notes the whole time. Absolutely amazing...I can't wait to see more.

I don't have time to make another video right now but I will leave you with something better
Quote:
Originally Posted by WCW Moderator View Post

7th Jorluivil 172 points

10th Roby 108 points

Old 12-04-2011, 09:50 PM   #4
ericko

Roby i hope you can get pts for catching trout cause he's KICKING YOUR a$$...
ericko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:07 AM   #5
dwntwnall4u
Kevin C.

Very imformative video, thanks. Could you possible show how you rig the bait to the hooks?
dwntwnall4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:10 AM   #6
roadx

nice video

curious how much line do you have out? are you fishing it vertically (kind of like a drop shot) or are you letting it out a ways (more like a carolina rig) ?

thanks for the tips
Old 12-05-2011, 09:33 AM   #7
james92026

Great Video!

I was fooling around the other day and made a wire rig that hopefully will produce some results. For the leader I used about an 18 inch section of 7 strand wire which is fairly flexible, 1/0 circle at the end, then added a short section of single strand which I folded in half and twisted very tightly the entire length (about 4 inches or so) and added a #2 octupus hook as a stinger (or to double hook a live squid). I ran the second section of wire through the loop end of the circle hook and barrel twist up a half inch or so of the stranded wire, finishing off all connections with shrink tube. both hooks are fastened in a manner that gives them free movement. It sounds obtrusive but really its not. Above the rig is a sliding sinker sleeve which easily permits attachment of any size sinker I desire or even omit if I want to fly line a large bait.
james92026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 10:40 AM   #8
Hunter (The 80's Man)

Hey george cool video. Made me laugh because I couldn't stop thinking about the seinfeld episode, when george was the hand model.

Hunter (The 80's Man) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:05 AM   #9
kobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby View Post

Very nice!!! If I use live bait, that would be my go to setup. Good points you bring up with the foam for the stinger hook, and the line going to the sinker being a little lighter than the main line so if the sinker snags up you only lose the sinker.
Once again, great tutorial George. Thanks for sharing.
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:01 PM   #10
lamb

Great stuff George!

Halibut rig I use is very similar.

I put 3-4 ft 30# floro leader to the hook (snell and treble like yours). Logic - give that bait more space to swim freely... Give 'em more space to try to avoid that bite. No worries - if halibut decides to eat, they'll get 'em. On a longer leader, your swimming live bait ought to appear more natural to the predator.

I use 1-3 ft of a sinker line, depending on how clear the water is. Shorter if murky, longer if clear. Simple logic - if higher up above the ground and good visibility, you're covering more sand. If murky, you want to bring it down closer to them. Always a lighter line to the sinker.

Required reading for anyone looking to get serious about targeting flatties:

Great write up by Andy:
http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...=kayak-halibut

Another stellar write up by Todd:
http://www.kayak4fish.com/press/Halibut0405.shtml

Now that you know how to catch them, make sure you're ready to land them

http://www.bigwatersedge.com/bwevb/s...ead.php?t=6760

Another thing worth the mention - true bounce balling is definitely very productive way to get them. With flasher and everything, I found it pretty hard on a kayak. It may be easier on a Hobie though? It's one of the reasons I'm considering getting a Hobie.

This is very valuable read from Rick Da Goose, Masters Degeree in halibut sciences:

http://www.bestofbiggame.com/BounceballTips.html
Old 12-05-2011, 02:41 PM   #11
StinkyMatt

Thanks George and Lamb.

I truly appreciate the info.

StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:21 PM   #12
GregAndrew

Good explaination Jorge. Very good articles Adi, had never seen any of those. There is another good article in the last issue or two of Pacific Coast Sportfishing about Halibut drifting. Another helpful hint, if you are using a trap hook, is to hook the bait in opposite directions with each of the hooks. Another drawback to the circle hook is that the teeth of a Halibut can prevent the line from sliding to the corner of the mouth.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 05:58 PM   #13
jimbo

Stinger treble hook

Yeah I read that article in PCSF. The author suggested that stinger hooks good for catching little butts-not needed for bigger models. Personally I find lot less hits when used stinger for drifting. For trolling w bb setup seems to be good. Curious what other yakkers have found while drifting. ??
Old 12-05-2011, 06:29 PM   #14
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo View Post
Yeah I read that article in PCSF. The author suggested that stinger hooks good for catching little butts-not needed for bigger models. Personally I find lot less hits when used stinger for drifting. For trolling w bb setup seems to be good. Curious what other yakkers have found while drifting. ??
nice job on the video Jorge...I generally do not run a stinger, but I don't catch as many butts as Jorge does, I use alot of Hammer when drifting due to the lack of good bait up here on the northside of the lake, but I haven't really compared the two...thanks again for your info and effort J
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 06:46 PM   #15
kobra

Thanks for posting those up Adi. Lots of good info there.
kobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 06:02 AM   #16
lamb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregAndrew View Post
.... Another helpful hint, if you are using a trap hook, is to hook the bait in opposite directions with each of the hooks.
Huh, I never even thought about it...
Good point never the less, makes sense!
Old 12-06-2011, 06:42 AM   #17
jorluivil

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamb View Post
Huh, I never even thought about it...
Good point never the less, makes sense!
What purpose does this serve?

Old 12-06-2011, 06:48 AM   #18
wiredantz
Currently @ MLO Territory

some one take a picture of this...

.... Another helpful hint, if you are using a trap hook, is to hook the bait in opposite directions with each of the hooks.

My mind is now visually working

Team: Disbanded
You only have one chance in this life...make the right decision(s)...so you don't regret it
wiredantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:05 AM   #19
grey zone

You mentioned tying the spectra with a Palomar knot, I right there with you. I saw a program that featured a knot tying contest and the Palomar won with braided line. The only problem that I find is that when using a three way swivel that is leadered up you have to make a larger loop to pull everything through. I solve that problem by tying spectra to a cross-lock snap then clip the three way to it, very fast and no more knot tying on the water.
grey zone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:35 PM   #20
GregAndrew

If you put the hook through the nose from the baits right side to it's left, then put the trap hook through from the left to right. That gives you a hook point protruding from either side of the bait. Kinda get the hooking ablility of a Trebble without some of the drawbacks.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote