Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2010, 05:42 AM   #1
Mo Betta

Hi Dave,

My boys and I are southbound July 27 +/- for the East Cape. We will be Northbound August 5-6. I will be in a F350 CC LB 4x4. Just thought I would toss it out there.....PM me for my digits, cell works in Baja

Bahia Ascuncion contact would be Shari @ http://bajabnb.com/php/ They are right out on the point, good people.

Frank

Last edited by Mo Betta; 06-14-2010 at 05:46 AM. Reason: Added Shari's contact info
Mo Betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:55 AM   #2
j mo

I’m sure you have read the book "We Survived Yesterday: Kayaking from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas"

Editorial Reviews
Product Description
Detached from civilization in double kayaks, paddling nine hours a day for 34 days straight, this 1200 mile voyage from San Diego, California to Cabo San Lucas, Mexico was a true man against nature adventure. The rough water and rocky coastline had been anticipated, but the rats, mice, ants, crabs, coyotes, mosquitoes and wild pigs that either ate our food, stole our gear or tried to sleep in our sleeping bags with us we had not anticipated. We learned that the human mind and spirit can endure, create, and problem solve better than we ever imagined.

I also think that there was another two man team that did this last year out of cbad /Oceanside to raise awareness for cancer, but I never followed up on the story. I’m sure if you haven’t already; you could get a hold of these two and get their thoughts...

Too bad you can’t take a board. You are going to pass some world class spots and some super secret places accessible only by 8 hour jaw breaking washboard roads or boat....

Can you list your potential stops/campsites?

Good luck
j mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 06:16 AM   #3
wavster

Thank you all for the advice and the offers of contacts. I contacted Shari
Bondi in Asuncion last week and she's already hooked me up with a couple
of contacts. She's definitely good people. If you fish Asuncion, stay with
them.

I did speak to the guys from Carlsbad about their trip. They only made it
5 days and called it quits after hitting 20ft+ surf out at Todos Santos.
Bob Wilson (the main guy) was very nice and offered some advice.
Still trying to figure out why they went out there. Maybe to set a surfing
XXL record.

I am definitely taking my 6'2". Are you kidding me? The surf is going to be
great at so many places, there's no way I could pass it up. I've already
figured out how to transport the board and took it on my 33 mile paddle
last weekend, but the new rudder has put a small kink in that setup. Back
to the drawing board, but definitely coming.

I'll post a photo of my rig once I get everything complete. I've had to make
some major adjustments and took a minimalistic approach.

Rudder has been added. I think it would be impossible without it.

As far as keeping the Stone cold, well, they told me that they would
provide me as much as I wanted for my support crew to bring to me, so
anyone who's up for the challenge, will have plenty of cases of Stone in
their truck. I would just need to know that a few bottles make it to me
every week.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:55 AM   #4
MalibuJohnny

Additional supplies

Stop off here in the way down...you got balls, you may need a few more of these! Good luck

Old 06-14-2010, 11:07 AM   #5
wavster

Dang! If only I knew where that place was...

How's the bite there?
Old 06-14-2010, 11:38 AM   #6
drunkentiger765
Junior

damn and I thought my 20 mile trip was fun.

was your 33 mile trip La Jolla to Point Loma and back?
drunkentiger765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:50 AM   #7
JoeBeck

WOW! Sounds like an epic adventure Hope it all goes well! Have you thought about paddling back via Sea of Cortes, you could arrange a pickup at Puerto Penasco when all done. That way you get to experience what all of Baja California fishing has to offer.

I bet you find some amazing camp spots on this journey along with many, many days of wide open fishing.
JoeBeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 04:58 PM   #8
walrus

What a dream, God's speed. When you get back, maybe you'll do a public talk/slide show presentation somewhere? (maybe OEX would set you up).

If you do, I'll be there with a thousand questions. I already want to know more.
walrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:34 AM   #9
wavster

drunkentiger: yes. I paddled to Pt. Loma not last Saturday, but
the Saturday before. wind was light and the paddle wasn't
bad. Trolled a swimbait and threw an iron at some areas that
looked promising. No bites, but took 11 hours for that paddle.
Definitely needed the rudder, which I installed the next day.

JoeBeck: It's all about time and money. While I considered doing the
Cortez side, I wanted to try the Pacific side first. Circumnavigating
the entire peninsula would be quite the trek, though.

SPOT: regarding the SPOT messenger, I've had several conversations with
Spot and DeLorme regarding a new product, though it may not be
ready by the time I leave. Either way, I'll have the Spot so others can
track my progress. Does anyone have any insight as to how well that
actually works? I've read the info on their site, but in reality, what's
the feedback? I'd be curious to know.

Radio recommendation: I'm still researching the best (affordable) radio
for use on a kayak. Given that my range will be limited, any insight into
a quality, floating radio for weather and communication with other boats
would be great. I've done a ton of research, but again, I'm looking for
practical experience. Any input is appreciated. Also, what's the most
common channel used in Baja by Americans?

Dave
Old 06-15-2010, 06:28 PM   #10
miguelitro
Team Bad Habits

I am pretty sure that most fishing villages in baja have a few people who monitor VHF or whatever it is that most fishing boats use, as far as what channel i assume it varies.
miguelitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:11 AM   #11
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavster View Post
SPOT: regarding the SPOT messenger, I've had several conversations with Spot and DeLorme regarding a new product, though it may not be ready by the time I leave.
What product are they coming out with? One problem I have with SPOT, is the inability to confirm if messages were recieved. I hope they come up with some simple Satellite text messaging system, I'd buy one in a heartbeat for offshore.

Where are you launching from LJ, or IB?

Goodluck, it will interesting to watch this voyage.
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:32 PM   #12
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Ok, someone has to ask. Where the hell do you plan to sleep and eat? Baja can be great but sometimes the natives do not welcome strangers with open arms.

Camping on a beach that may be in the middle of some drug trafficker's turf could be interesting. I know of several people who have been robbed and the women raped while on an innocent camping trip in the wilds of Baja. I have heard stories of people being shot for no apparent reason. One of my son's friends was killed and dismembered for being in the wrong place a the wrong time somewhere south of Tijuana.

If you pull into some village for a little R&R, how do you plan to secure your yak and all the gear while you are on the beach? You will have to sleep sometime.

From my prospective it looks like you will be trolling for trouble for most of this trip. Am I missing something?

I wish you the best but fear for the worst.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:49 PM   #13
tattuna

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsafety View Post

From my prospective it looks like you will be trolling for trouble for most of this trip. Am I missing something?

Bob
I'm guessing the only thing you are missing is experience in Baja. South of Ensenada your worries with cartels drop dramatically. Bad things with locals can happen, but aren't very likely. I would guess his biggest concerns would be dealing with weather conditions and and getting help if need be.
Old 06-17-2010, 07:28 AM   #14
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by tattuna View Post
I'm guessing the only thing you are missing is experience in Baja. South of Ensenada your worries with cartels drop dramatically. Bad things with locals can happen, but aren't very likely. I would guess his biggest concerns would be dealing with weather conditions and and getting help if need be.
Tattuna, you are correct when you say that I do not have much experience in Baja. Years ago on Cinco de Mayo, I was thrown into the Encinada jail for being Anglo and looking like I could come up with the bail money. I was simply standing in line to get into Husongs and had not even tasted my first beer. That was enough for me.

The experience was brutal and has forever colored my opinion about the value and wisdom of visiting Northern Mexico. I am sure that just as those of us who have gained experience fishing from yaks in the ocean seldom have problems, people who regularly travel in Baja have learned how to stay out of trouble. On the other hand, if I could ask my two friends who died on trips to this region, (one in a car accident, the other murdered), if they would recommend the trip, the answers would probably be to use extreme caution.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 09:18 AM   #15
Anthony179
A.T.

Trouble Is Everywhere

Quote:
Ok, someone has to ask. Where the hell do you plan to sleep and eat? Baja can be great but sometimes the natives do not welcome strangers with open arms.

Camping on a beach that may be in the middle of some drug trafficker's turf could be interesting. I know of several people who have been robbed and the women raped while on an innocent camping trip in the wilds of Baja. I have heard stories of people being shot for no apparent reason. One of my son's friends was killed and dismembered for being in the wrong place a the wrong time somewhere south of Tijuana.

If you pull into some village for a little R&R, how do you plan to secure your yak and all the gear while you are on the beach? You will have to sleep sometime.

Bob

Ethan Esparza (KCAL)

POMONA, Calif. (CBS/AP) After more than three years, the family of Ethan Esparza, the 3-year-old who was gunned down in front of his grandmother's home at his own birthday party, can rest a little easier knowing that police have finally made an arrest in the seemingly random tragedy.

Ethan was playing in front of his grandmother's house in Pomona, Calif., about 30 miles east of Los Angeles, on the day before his fourth birthday, when five or six shots rang out, killing little Ethan and wounding a 16-year-old boy.

Police at the time believed it was gang-related and that two other men standing nearby were the intended targets.

Police finally made an arrest Wednesday, taking Pablo Adame into custody just moments after he was released from prison on an unrelated domestic violence case.

"He didn't deserve to die the way he did," Ethan's mother, Alma Torres Esparza told CBS affiliate KCAL at the time of the shooting. "He suffered before he left. He was fighting for his life."

A month after the shooting a $50,000 reward was offered under the Governor's Reward program.

Adame, who is being held on $4 million bail, is scheduled to be arraigned June 29.

Sorry to hear what happened to the people you know. But the same thing that is happening in Mexico is happening out here. The difference is that in Mexico they are called Cartels and are fighting to control the drug industry. And in California they are called gangs. And they fight for drug turf and streets that they don't even own.

Good luck on trip Wavster. Can't wait to read about your trip when you get back.
Anthony179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 03:11 PM   #16
Thresher_Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony179 View Post
Ethan Esparza (KCAL)

POMONA, Calif. (CBS/AP) After more than three years, the family of Ethan Esparza, the 3-year-old who was gunned down in front of his grandmother's home at his own birthday party, can rest a little easier knowing that police have finally made an arrest in the seemingly random tragedy.

Ethan was playing in front of his grandmother's house in Pomona, Calif., about 30 miles east of Los Angeles, on the day before his fourth birthday, when five or six shots rang out, killing little Ethan and wounding a 16-year-old boy.

Police at the time believed it was gang-related and that two other men standing nearby were the intended targets.

Police finally made an arrest Wednesday, taking Pablo Adame into custody just moments after he was released from prison on an unrelated domestic violence case.

"He didn't deserve to die the way he did," Ethan's mother, Alma Torres Esparza told CBS affiliate KCAL at the time of the shooting. "He suffered before he left. He was fighting for his life."

A month after the shooting a $50,000 reward was offered under the Governor's Reward program.

Adame, who is being held on $4 million bail, is scheduled to be arraigned June 29.

Sorry to hear what happened to the people you know. But the same thing that is happening in Mexico is happening out here. The difference is that in Mexico they are called Cartels and are fighting to control the drug industry. And in California they are called gangs. And they fight for drug turf and streets that they don't even own.

Good luck on trip Wavster. Can't wait to read about your trip when you get back.
Sorry, don't buy it. When's the last time a group of fishermen were assaulted by locals on a trip to the sierras or big sur? Sure there's violent crime in the states, but Mexico is a completely different ball game. Fishermen, kayakers, surfers and tourists are ROUTINELY targeted in Mex, especially camping in remote wilderness areas. Not the case in the States.
Thresher_Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:48 AM   #17
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

Quote:

Bob
Are you kidding me! Have you ever been to baja? Don't believe everything you read, or hear...

The locals I have met have all been the kindest, happiest, helpful people in the world.

Yes bad things do happen, but 99.99999% of the time if you don't go looking for trouble, trouble won't find you. Bad things happens to the people who are looking, or asking for it... there are lots of stories that get told about baja... most are not true.

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:44 PM   #18
mtnbykr2

wow this sounds like a great adventure so long as the weather holds out
and you dont have any Abby Sunderland conditions, but I am sure that has been takin into consideration.
I will definately keep an eye on your progress, and I hope you catch all you can handle have a great and safe
trip, b.....
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 08:45 PM   #19
TCS

As I was driving home from work thinking what it would be like to bail for a few months on a pure adventure, it dawned be. Wasabi. take a tube of wasabi for the raw fish.

btw. Have you read The Old Man and the Sea?
TCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:42 PM   #20
CurtyL

I think I have a new idol! Good luck. And Good
CurtyL is offline   Reply With Quote