Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2010, 07:38 PM   #1
tony

Kayak Fisherman Mag

Greetings, for those of you in SoCal the new issue is out. Stop by your local OEX for a free copy - Sunset Beach, Oceanside,Kearny Mesa, Mission Beach & La Jolla....This is the Dark Horse Issue.

On another note has anyone seen this documentary?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvCt3AVWr2s
Somewhat doom and gloom but interesting just the same......
You can find the whole documentary on Ovguide.com

Tony

Last edited by tony; 05-22-2010 at 08:57 PM.
tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:05 PM   #2
batty1of3

wow that looks like it might be an interesting documentary its too bad national geographic just puts all that great content into thier vault forever they really should allow streaming access put it up on hulu or something i could not even find a dvd to rent or buy

i hate that lets get all this great info but not let anyone see it if they missed it the first time
batty1of3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 01:41 PM   #3
h2ofishfo

watched that doc. crazy guys do crazy things i dont know what he was thinking that said. that pod he had on the back of his yak is what killed him made it virtually impossible to flip the yak back over. that dream shoulda been hung up on the shelf once u got a wife & kids
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 03:43 PM   #4
tony

There's a lot of debate/questions within the kayak community on this one....
Supposedly he had a dry suit,an epirb and was in sight of his destination which gives it that extra WTF factor......
His web site is still up at http://www.andrewmcauley.com
tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 04:20 PM   #5
Kesepton

From reading through it a little, looks like insight of his destination was he could see the mountain range he would be traveling to. Still 30 miles offshore though.

Thats insane, you should see all the other things this guy had done... Must of had the best, most encouraging wife for her to go through all those adventures.
Kesepton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 09:20 PM   #6
Stoneale
Banned

"Andrew McAuley (1968 - presumed dead 2007) was an Australian adventurer. He is best known for his mountaineering and sea kayaking in remote parts of the world. He is presumed to have died following his disappearance at sea while attempting to kayak 1600 km across the Tasman Sea in February 2007."

gnarly.. ive been pondering the idea to kayak from catalina island to dana point harbor to raise $$ to fight the MLPA.
Stoneale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:31 PM   #7
dahunter1996
Junior

Unhappy

Sad, a good dream,but only a dream
dahunter1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:34 PM   #8
blitzburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ofishfo View Post
that dream shoulda been hung up on the shelf once u got a wife & kids
RIGHT ON. I read posts on youtube aligning this guy with heroes of the past, in that the world needs people like this for mankind to prosper. I cannot think of what greater good there was to gain by doing this? I feel bad for his family. Tragedy that should have never been.
blitzburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 12:32 AM   #9
Gino

Looks at the world and tell me the pleasures of Sanity.

Everytime you are on a kayak, your at risk. Anything can go wrong.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:51 AM   #10
Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
RIGHT ON. I read posts on youtube aligning this guy with heroes of the past, in that the world needs people like this for mankind to prosper. I cannot think of what greater good there was to gain by doing this? I feel bad for his family. Tragedy that should have never been.
Come on, everybody knows that if he would have pulled this off he would have cured cancer. Duh...

Its a bummer and with a wife and kids I would never attempt such a journey. But a lot of people that do this kind of stuff do have families. Wives, kids, and parents that are all a part of these types of crazy dreams. I guarantee you that his wife married him and had a child with him because of his adventerous spirit. I dunno, I just never find any good in bashing the dead. By his reaction when he was leaving he must have been a good man that had an insatiable appetite for this type of adventure. Its something that I (nor most) will ever understand, and thus, I'll never attempt things like paddling acrossed the Tasman Sea, climbing Mt. Everest, nor sailing in the Vendee Globe.

The responsible decision would have been to recognize this appetite for danger and decide not to have children. But that's not what he decided. He had a family he loved and I'm sure he was confident that he could pull this off, he was wrong and now a kid gets a surrogate dad. Totally irresponsible, but he obviously loved his family and just made a bad choice. There's people that have done a lot worse and don't get post-mortem "I told ya so"'s.
Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:52 AM   #11
Stoneale
Banned

I am trying to figure out what the hell is that white looking bird at the front of his boat:

I feel bad for the family.. the guy had to of known he was not going to make it.
Stoneale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:03 AM   #12
blitzburgh

[QUOTE=sapdawg711;57696I dunno, I just never find any good in bashing the dead. The responsible decision would have been to recognize this appetite for danger and decide not to have children. But that's not what he decided. He had a family he loved and I'm sure he was confident that he could pull this off, he was wrong and now a kid gets a surrogate dad. Totally irresponsible, but he obviously loved his family and just made a bad choice. There's people that have done a lot worse and don't get post-mortem "I told ya so"'s.[/QUOTE]

I am not "bashing the dead". If you are going to quote my post, then react to what I wrote accurately, which was about the posts on youtube. After which I stated clearly that this was a tragedy. In no way did I smear this man. There are no "I told ya so's here", just discussion.
blitzburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:03 AM   #13
bigbarrels

[QUOTE=Stoneale;57697]I am trying to figure out what the hell is that white looking bird at the front of his boat:

I'm putting my money on a Wandering Albatrosse>>>>>>open ocean bird that lives in the Southern Hemisphere.......wikipedia shows they are seen feeding year round off the Kaikoura Peninsula on the east coast of the south island of New Zealand[14] and it ranges in all the southern oceans from 28° to 60°.[1
bigbarrels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:45 AM   #14
Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
I am not "bashing the dead". If you are going to quote my post, then react to what I wrote accurately, which was about the posts on youtube. After which I stated clearly that this was a tragedy. In no way did I smear this man. There are no "I told ya so's here", just discussion.
I wasn't quoting your post to say you were bashing the dead. None of that was directed towards you at all. I quoted your post only for the sentence that you said "what was going to be accomplished" and then I made a bad attempt at being funny by saying his run would cure cancer. Nothing I said was directed towards you at all. Just because your quote was in my post doesn't mean I was talking to you nor was I reacting to anything you wrote.
Old 05-24-2010, 08:46 AM   #15
Aaron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneale View Post
He was obviously running up on working birds for kingfish off the New Zealand kelp