Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2008, 04:09 PM   #1
steveooo

LJ 1-21

The highly rumored bite is over. Fished LJ today for nada. Jigged up about a dozen squid in 80ft of h20, but no one wanted to play. Didn't see any fish caught, probably about 15-20 kayaks out there this a.m. It also rained on us for a while.
Oh well, at least i get to check off "market squid" off of my California Fishing Passport.
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 05:03 PM   #2
Dennis

Thanks for the report, steveooo. I'm going to try to load up on some fresh calamari.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:31 PM   #3
spooky007

So does that mean everyone will start posting there fish???? Nate, show us those yellers you got the other day!!!
spooky007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:29 AM   #4
jscott

Sat/Mon

I took down 3 guys (Eric, Steve, Julio) to LJ on Sat and Monday to see if I could get them into the fish I got on Tuesday. Saturday-- we went toward pier...spent 45 minutes making macs-- finally found some perfect ones and then went out to the San Diego Zoo (ARMADA of boats/yaks)! As we got there...they were on the tail end of a big bite. We get in the right spot and unfortunately the bite dies. The trick was to get out early to the spots-- make LIVE squid and use these off the bottom. Eric did end up hooking up...and after about a 10-15 minute sleigh ride and the vertical fight-- HEARTBREAK! Popped off! Nothing else for the day for us. Change of plans-- Monday we were set to go with Candy Catchers and went out. It was cold, choppy, swell/surf up, and totally different conditions than Sat flat/warm day! Tough to find the squid early-- as sunrise came, we got into them. I figured out the trick and got about 2 doz worth. (Until I snagged my candy catcher on some kelp and lost it!-- Damn-- $13 down the drain!) Split the squid around between Julio and Steve and we are hopeful with the RIGHT STUFF! We are working it in depths from 175' to 75' for nada! Julio managed to pick up a decent calico just outside the reserve...but that was it for us. I didn't see nor hear of a single YT caught by yakker or pber. I think the bite has officially died with the change in weather. Let's hope that since the squid are still there-- that they stick around and the bite returns soon!
Good luck all!
Jason
jscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:02 AM   #5
Handymansd
Ancient Member

Thanks for the detailed report Jason!!

Handymansd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:05 AM   #6
Zed
BANNED

They're moving up the line. Next pre-full-moon they will be in more N squid grounds. I'll be waiting behind the Orange Curtain.

I also know the next 3 lotto draws. PM me.

Zed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:17 AM   #7
Siebler

Quote:
Originally Posted by spooky007 View Post
So does that mean everyone will start posting there fish???? Nate, show us those yellers you got the other day!!!

Sure we will,

Heres mine from my Friday trip with Nate

They bled out at 22 and 28lbs. Smaller fish on squid larger on the iron. First double hook up, Thanks to Chris for not taking the one fish when I tried handing it off.

Siebler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:19 AM   #8
steamroll

Old 01-22-2008, 01:56 PM   #9
Matt
Support your local pangas

Nice job guys!!
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 02:06 PM   #10
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Dang it...very nice

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:02 PM   #11
cabojohn
PROBATION

good stuff...nice job keeping quiet about the rumor / bite.

You guys have got to realize though, a lack of reports by the regulars and seeing no cheesy small fish pics here and there is like raising the big red bite flag. ha

Last edited by cabojohn; 01-22-2008 at 03:36 PM.
cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:11 PM   #12
spooky007

Nice Cj and Nate!!!

Al
spooky007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 03:14 PM   #13
PaddleHP
Scampi

Way to go CJ.
Jim
PaddleHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 04:25 PM   #14
Siebler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabojohn View Post
good stuff...nice job keeping quiet about the rumor / bite.

What Bite? There was a Rumor/Bite

Old 01-22-2008, 05:50 PM   #15
cabojohn
PROBATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboyc View Post
What Bite? There was a Rumor/Bite
meh, just trying to pull a fast one & catch you regulars since the reports on bwe have been kinda sloooooooow.

Almost worked too.

Nice fish.

cabojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:31 PM   #16
frugalfisher

Thanks for the info.

Better late than never. Just like a bunch of fishermen.
Old 01-22-2008, 08:51 PM   #17
blackcloud9
Kayaker

Saturday, I didn't hookup, but I took pictures of the kayak shop crew.

blackcloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 07:51 AM   #18
slayersmith

Nice yellows! Cool video too!

Way to go guys!

Take it easy!

Aaron
slayersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:17 PM   #19
madscientist

Here's how it went down for me. I'm surprised the lid was kept on the bite as long as it was, but by last weekend it was a zoo out there.

Fished last Sunday (1/13), deadzone. I've spent most of the month dodging whales and running over retarded sea lions. Same story.

Rumor has it the squirts showed on Monday. Tuesday a friend tipped me off that some fish were caught and pointed me in the right direction.

Wednesday (1/16)
I paddled to the spot right as another boat does the same. Second drift they are doubled up. I finally get hooked up on the yoyo. Fun 32# fish is my first of the year. Work the drift for another yoyo hookup, this one 32# as well.

2 boats, 1 yak. 100% hook up rate, and then some.

Thursday (1/17)
Brought some dead squid, since that's what it looked like the fish were on. Paddle out to the small group of yaks (10) and boats(6) on the spot. Get the deadstick iron with a squid down, throw the yoyo iron, and before it hits bottom the deadstick get's rocked and I'm on. As I'm fighting this fish just about every other yak and boat gets bit. I think there were about a dozen fish hooked at once. Real cool. Got another later that day, again on the squid tipped deadstick. Fish went 26 and 30. Spent the rest of a dead calm sunny day catching squid on the sabiki next to an old friend.

80-90% hookup rate

Friday (1/18)
Word is out, 20 boats and 30-40 yaks. No love for me but many fish are caught. Dropper looped squid seems to be the better bet. No early blitz, just little spurts of activity. Brought the squid jig and amused myself by plugging the tank with 100 or so. Tasty critters and my bait freezer is well stocked. Start getting a lot of eggs.

50-75% hookup rate

Saturday (1/19)
Fished with a friend on his boat. Quite an armada, 40 boats and 40-50 yaks. Slower morning but we finally got a couple to go on deadsticks. 26 and 28. Sporadic bite that was really good for some and nada for others. Squirts still all over and more eggs. Lot's of boats are on the hook, making it tricky for everyone else who is drifting.

30-40% hookup rate

Sunday (1/20)
Back on plastic. Cold morning with an offshore that never died. Same fleet, 30-40 boats and about the same number of yaks. Slow, but a couple localized blitzs. Saw 3 landed and heard of a couple others. Lot's more eggs on the bottom.

5-10% hookup rate

Monday I decided to rest. Heard it was dead. Squid still around but probably getting ready to disappear. Fun while it lasted. Now for the long stretch until spring. I don't think I've ever caught a good fish in February, and March hasn't been so hot for me either. But you never know, and the only guarantee is that you won't catch em if your not on the water.
Old 01-23-2008, 03:22 PM   #20
Siebler

Nice fish Brad, I had heard that you had fish on Friday, guess somebody had mistaken you for a look alike or something