Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2014, 10:35 AM   #21
BigTunaL

Cool. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigTunaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 10:59 AM   #22
FISH11

It's a good idea to take before or have on hand some type of motion sickness meication but they will make you sleepy. Besides the not staring down constantly it a good idea to have something in your stomach. I always carry a sandwich and some fruit, like 1 or 2 apples, crackers or chips. Of course that is to go with my six pack of beer. The more time you spend on the water the more your body will start to adjust and you might not need the medication or patch in the future. Good Luck
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:21 AM   #23
rieffer

Get the sliced ginger in the supermarket. When you go out take 5-6 pieces, put them in a baggie, and then eat as you need them. A cook on the Independence told me about that and it works.
rieffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 02:05 PM   #24
StinkyMatt

I get sea sick easily. This is what I find works:

The RX patch...almost 100% effective, put on the night before, major dry mouth and you will feel in a "cloudy zone " all day

The Dramamine, sometimes works not always, very little side effects.

Eat crackers, ginger ale.

Do not eat greasy food.

Looking down will get you sicker faster.

If it is warm/warm water....jump in the water..just a few minutes next to your kayak, instantly feel good. I guess your body changes its priorities when it is in the water.

Best one yet, proven again and again. Bring a bag of sunflower seeds, munch on them. Don't know what it is, the salt the extra Silvia or whatever...it works.

Good luck.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:06 PM   #25
619-SWIM-DOG

Pickled ginger...works
619-SWIM-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:25 PM   #26
YakDout
Brandon

Mental

I used to get sick as a dog. Whether it be kayak, boat, diving I would get sick no matter what. I'd be chumming in no time and even the slightest bit of motion sickness can make fishing no fun. I've tried the Dramamine, Bonine, other random motion sickness pills, as well as the patch. The patch was the only thing that worked for me 100%. But at the end of the day, it costed money, you need prescription for it, you have to make sure it stays on etc.
One day I just told myself I'm not going to get sick anymore, and I fought it mentally. And won. I can be in heavy heavy swells, wind, small boat, big boat. Doesn't matter anymore. I just tell myself I'm not getting sick, and I don't. Not sure this would work for everyone, but it worked for me.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:35 PM   #27
sasha

For me I get seasick as soon as I get on the water. I try and stay away when the weather is very bad. Used to take ginger and every other remedy someone would suggest. Most of the time it gave me upset stomach before I even hit the water. Now I don't take anything, When I feel sick I just start paddling as fast as I can till I feel better. One day had another kayaker asks me why I go so fast in big circles. That day I couldn't stop for more then 20 min...
sasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 11:44 PM   #28
BigTunaL

You guys rock. I'm going to try all your tips. Thank you all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigTunaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:18 AM   #29
Raskal311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuff guy View Post
Dramamine
And take it the night before the trip. Worked great for my wife s few days ago on our off shore trip.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:23 AM   #30
J3FFro

Ginger slices works for me. I chew them like gum but the taste gets to you after the 3rd slice.

Try chewing some gum (minty flavors) and keep your eyes on the horizon.

Bring food with you, cuz you'll need it after you chum..

If the swells are bad, I will definitely get sick, but i'll just chum and fish on (with snacking in between so I have something to chum)..

Everyone's body reacts differently, hope you find the remedy that works for you.

Good luck and see you guys on the waters.
J3FFro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:18 PM   #31
TJones

All of the above mentioned

The kelp thing I have never heard . Look at Horizon , Bonine / Dramamine , patch , and consumption of some ginger . One other proven method is pressure points on inside of wrists . You can purchase wrist bands at pharmacy .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:27 PM   #32
Hunters Pa

My brother gets seasick something fierce, like even on a lake. Nothing ever worked for him until he tried one of these:

http://www.drugstore.com/products/pr...&aparam=505303

They have them at a lot of places. Nice thing is you can use it even after you start feeling maggoty. Also, once you feel better you can take it off and give someone else some relief.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:30 PM   #33
TJones

That is state of the art

High tech . That you should do it .
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 12:39 PM   #34
Hunters Pa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJones View Post
High tech . That you should do it .
My brother tried EVERYTHING. Nothing else ever worked until this thing. Not cheap, but works when nothing else does
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 01:45 PM   #35
Big T
Member, You Member!

Big Tuna... it's completely mental. It's your brain interpreting the mechanical signals your stomach, inner ear and eyes are sending to it.

All of this advice works that has been said. But to be honest, it's all stuff that works when YOU can't keep the mechanical signals from being confused.

So? Keep them from being confused as best as you can!

Seasickness is caused by your brain getting mixed signals. Period. Your eyes see one thing, while your stomach contents are doing another. Throw in the odd inner ear activity and you have chum sessions. Your body's defense mechanism is to get rid of the "toxin" your brain thinks is in your stomach.... or something like that.

Like I said... all of the "remedies" work, but try going out on the water with a different mentality and a differently loaded stomach.

For instance, what someone said about "not looking down" is SO valid. Keep your eyes scanning the horizon at all times, BUT still anticipating each little wave that you're going to go over. There, now you've conquered the eyes part of the mixed messages. Now on to the stomach. You want your stomach to be as solid as possible. Either empty or a bare minimum of natural, non greasy, dry food. Now for the inner ear... not "much" you can do about what it tells your brain, but I have been told by captains that being properly hydrated (with water) allows the inner ear which is filled with fluid to operate properly and efficiently.

Sorry for the long explanation but this was told to me when I had issues and then BAM. No more sea sickness... ever. I just look at the roughness as a "ride" now and enjoy being part of the sea's attitude.

Now... Here's a little monkeywrench to prove my point... When I DO go out into a moonless, windy, washing-machine-sea night of WSB or bug fishing... (me? never!) the "eyes" part of it can sometimes get me a bit queasy, because I can't see the waves that hit the kayak before they do... But for some reason, maybe because of my "ride" frame of mind, it doesn't send me over the edge. Dunno why. Probably just from "time on the water" like someone else said.

Simply "finding your sea legs" and goin' with it is another great way of looking at it.... When on a boat, stand up... let go of the rail. Ride it actively. Same as a kayak... go with it. Don't fight the swells and waves... just be loose and let the yak do what it's gotta do and you just roll with it while staying mentally engaged in the horizon and flow.

Last edited by Big T; 03-10-2014 at 01:54 PM.
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:23 PM   #36
Bigfish92084

My last outing was rough. Granted the swells were big but I am very hesitant to go again. I've noticed I even get nauseous when watching youtube videos with too much camera movement. I am going to try the patch this weekend.
Will take crackers and sunflower seeds as recommended.
Bigfish92084 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:53 PM   #37
skrilla

And in the case non of the remedies work keep a bottle of Pedialite or other electrolyte replenishing drink on hand.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:07 PM   #38
ZepBonham

If your gonna spew...ImageUploadedByTapatalk1394589988.691827.jpg
ZepBonham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:40 PM   #39
oneyedeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Novotny View Post
Take a small bite of kelp, chew it up and swallow. Takes away seasickness. Also don't stare down like stated above. Time on the water fixed things for me but every now and then I'll start to get queasy if I stare at me fish finder too long
I dont think its a good idea eating fresh seaweed like that. If you do make sure you clean it very very well. Trash and chemicals float on the surfce and guess where they anchor too. Also lots of lil sealife hangs around kelp too. Do know you want to ingest them either. Any seasickness pill night before and if you start felling it take a second. What works for me is beef jerky when I start feeling it.
oneyedeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:50 PM   #40
sdfisher

Bong loads and beers, the colder the beer the better so make sure you have them in a cooler.
sdfisher is offline   Reply With Quote