Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2014, 02:38 PM   #1
AirborneYak

Newport Rockies

Met up with Octico-John at 0500 and got prepped ready to hit Newport. Got to the AO around 0600 and found Will- William Novotny already there. My guts told me I had to negotiate a hostage situation, so I drove for about 10 mins to find a bathroom to take a crap. Glad to report that all the hostages were released and I got back and we hit the water about 0630ish.

With the sun still trying to peak through the morning sky, we finally get to our fishing grounds around 0700. The bite started off slow and nothing was hitting our squid. Will was already marking fish, but nothing was taking. We were soaking our bait, when a HUGE pod of dolphins ran through our AO. Words or video can't do justice to how awesome it was witnessing it!

Watch "Large pod of dolphins" on YouTube
Large pod of dolphins: http://youtu.be/egJFBMK2774

After what seemed like forever, the bite finally takes off and we all started hooking up. We had a few double up. The majority of the fish caught were too small to make even one taco. I ended with 6 keepers. John had about 7 or 8 and Will was one shy from limiting.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1397427739610.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  32.1 KB

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1397427758925.jpg
Views: 900
Size:  30.7 KB

Me and John ended seasick on our way back. Lol We took turns turning blue and dry heaving.

The spoils of the day.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1397427610785.jpg
Views: 904
Size:  37.8 KB

My cousin made some tartar sauce from scratch and it was better than any store bought brand. I soaked the fillets in milk for a good hour then made a corn meal/ flour.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1397428226481.jpg
Views: 901
Size:  44.0 KB

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1397427834704.jpg
Views: 881
Size:  34.9 KB

I deep fried two of the reds seasoned with just chicken boullion.
It came out better than I thought it would.

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1397428373654.jpg
Views: 927
Size:  28.1 KB

Finished tacos!!

Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1397428124955.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  39.0 KB

Spiderman for just because.

Big thanks to John for the invite and letting me use one of his rigs to catch my first rock fish off a kayak. And a just as big thank you to Will for putting is on fish!! I had an awesome time today and got to meet other BWE members out there as well, so all and all it was a good day.

Airborne All The way!!

Paul

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
AirborneYak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 03:49 PM   #2
socal_matt
Cruisin'

Looks like a good trip. Was out there yesterday, it was tough in the beginning too, but still ended up with limits on reds and barberpoles. Those tacos look delicious.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:12 PM   #3
AirborneYak

Quote:
Originally Posted by socal_matt View Post
Looks like a good trip. Was out there yesterday, it was tough in the beginning too, but still ended up with limits on reds and barberpoles. Those tacos look delicious.
It started off slow and I thought I'd going to home with an empty stringer and a stripe down the back, but it worked out. The tacos were delicious. Everything taste better
Fresh!

Old 04-13-2014, 05:24 PM   #4
octico

Green ...

Paul got it right fishing was slow until about 8AM. At first nothing then I tried 10 cranks off the bottom,and then bam, fish on.

I have fished for years and have never been sea sick. I think it was a combination of cheap wine yesterday and the smell of squid. When the feeling came, it was quick and merciless. I was have heaving, and could hear Paul laughing his ass off. We start heading back in and I hear Paul start upchucking ... I was laughing my ass off at this point! I looked down and all I had left was beer. I reached down cracked one open and away went the nausea.

I would call today a success!

Last edited by octico; 04-13-2014 at 07:15 PM.
octico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 07:04 PM   #5
FishNinjaY

Nice dolphin footage! I was out there with my son, and the big highway of dolphins passed in front of us before we could get close enough to get some pics or video. But close enough for us to see. He was so stoked!

I think on the way back in, there are some swells, and I don't get seasick either. But those large slow rollers sometimes make me feel a bit queasy.

How did you season the deep fry fish with chicken boullion? That sounds tasty. I've also wondered about how to cook whole fish in skin on a BBQ. Thanks for the pics.

FishNinjaY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:33 PM   #6
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Another nice day out! Love the dolphins
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 08:51 PM   #7
AirborneYak

Quote:
Originally Posted by octico View Post
Paul got it right fishing was slow until about 8AM. At first nothing then I tried 10 cranks off the bottom,and then bam, fish on.

I have fished for years and have never been sea sick. I think it was a combination of cheap wine yesterday and the smell of squid. When the feeling came, it was quick and merciless. I was have heaving, and could hear Paul laughing his ass off. We start heading back in and I hear Paul start upchucking ... I was laughing my ass off at this point! I looked down and all I had left was beer. I reached down cracked one open and away went the nausea.

I would call today a success!
John today was definitely a success! Between the throwing up and all the fish that were caught it was great time had indeed!!

Old 04-14-2014, 05:24 AM   #8
AirborneYak

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishNinjaY View Post
Nice dolphin footage! I was out there with my son, and the big highway of dolphins passed in front of us before we could get close enough to get some pics or video. But close enough for us to see. He was so stoked!

I think on the way back in, there are some swells, and I don't get seasick either. But those large slow rollers sometimes make me feel a bit queasy.

How did you season the deep fry fish with chicken boullion? That sounds tasty. I've also wondered about how to cook whole fish in skin on a BBQ. Thanks for the pics.

I can't wait till my kids are old enough to go out with me.
I used the chicken bullion instead of salt I used about 2 table spoon and rubbed it in on both side. And pan fried it on low to medium heat.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:20 AM   #9
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Great report. I hope Spider-Man washed his hands and feet.
Bert Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:45 AM   #10
J3FFro

Thanks for the report! I need to get out there soon! I want some reds!
J3FFro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:48 AM   #11
blitzburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneYak View Post
The bite started off slow and nothing was hitting our squid. Will was already marking fish, but nothing was taking.
Way to scratch em' out! From what I hear, there has been tons of Krill around that the Rockies have been feeding on.