Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-2016, 03:04 PM   #1
TheUnlucky
Junior

Braid

What are your preferences when fishing? Straight mono, braid, braid to mono, braid to flouro, braid to mono to flouro? What are the benefits?
TheUnlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:14 PM   #2
Raskal311

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheUnlucky View Post
What are your preferences when fishing? Straight mono, braid, braid to mono, braid to flouro, braid to mono to flouro? What are the benefits?
depends on what i'm fishing for but if the reel can hold at least 300 yards of what i need I prefer mono. But since I like smaller reels i run 300 yards of braid and top it off with maybe 4 foot of floro.

PS. Fishing in kelp braid to short floro or sure.
Old 03-25-2016, 03:16 PM   #3
battleborn

I think you will find generally braid will be used as a backing on most saltwater reels. Braid has no memory, does not degrade as fast as mono, gets you way more capacity, and can allow you to change your Topshot to suit the conditions. Now the next question you should ask is how much Topshot do you want to use. A longer Topshot gives you some stretch prevents cut offs from line tangles and in you do get into a tangle or birds nest and have to cut you will only be loosing your Topshot not the backing. Then it comes down to what kind of topshot. Some people like to fish just a fluro leader of 3 to 5 feet some will run 25 to 100 yds of mono. Either way fluro can save the day when the fish are shy or you want to use more abrasive resistant material. Learn some solid knots to connect different diameter lines use a Braid backing so u don't have to waste money on changing out 350 yds of mono that you really only have 100 to 150 yds in the water being fished and go from there. Good luck...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
battleborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:56 PM   #4
Starsky

I used braid to 7-10ft flouro or mono leader, depending on what type of fish or rig we are targeting.
Starsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 05:24 PM   #5
Goose1993

Braid like 75% of the way then mono the rest. Easier on my fingers!
Goose1993 is offline   Reply With Quote