Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2015, 07:52 AM   #81
Jim Sammons LJKF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Curti View Post
I watch the JIM SAMMONS show, I've seen about 10 of the shows and it's mostly lakes & streams I was hoping for more of his ocean explorations. I think out of those 10 only one had ocean fishing. But way to many commercials.

I like Jim though so I will continue to watch it. Lot's of good info.

That is pretty funny considering we shoot in fresh water maybe once a year and not at all this year. So far this year we have been to Panama, Florida, Baja, Costa Rica, Curacao and in two weeks Belize.
My producer is in Canada so he kind of insists that we do a shoot up there every year so that gets us that one FW shoot normally. And honestly the fishing up there is pretty damn good so Ill take it.

Not going to comment on the PW show, other than great camera work and I wish if they insist on saying how dangerous and extreme the sport is that they would set an example by wearing PFD's.
JimSammons.com
Jim Sammons LJKF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:15 AM   #82
ctfphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Sammons LJKF View Post
if they insist on saying how dangerous and extreme the sport is that they would set an example by wearing PFD's.
Ya I noticed no PFD on a guy, really? He must think he is Yani.
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:23 AM   #83
Harry Hill

I put the show under the same heading as all of the other reality/drama shows that discovery shows. The format is the same for all of them, run up to a commercial break with something dreadful about to happen, come back from the commercial and show the final 2 minutes from before the commercial up the the dreadful incident and then nothing bad happens until right before the next commercial. Have some conflict between the main characters that is made up for the cameras and have a few that act like total jerks so the audience has someone to hate. Then have sloppy editing because the producers have no respect for their audience. I think Deadliest Catch is the least of the offenders but it's still pretty predictable. I still watch them though because it's better than situation comedies.All of the shows can't be Meateater or Wingshooting USA.
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:27 AM   #84
Iceman
Administrator

Quote:
I still watch them though because it's better than situation comedies.
Far and away the best show on TV is on tonight at 10pm on FX
Old 11-02-2015, 10:42 AM   #85
anchovie

I've watched about 10 episodes of the kayak fishing show now. All have been fresh water.

What's up Jim??? When will the LA Jolla show be on?
anchovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:11 AM   #86
kjsdad619
Just a Salty Sailor

NO Sh*t right..come on man..not that serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tandem Assassin View Post
The "brotherhood" is way over played and turns my stomach - I would of dropped him...Try that at LJ..
Old 11-02-2015, 12:53 PM   #87
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Far and away the best show on TV is on tonight at 10pm on FX
Fargo is outstanding, pure craziness.
Harry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:26 PM   #88
PAL

It's a 'reality' show, anyone who mistakes it for a documentary is missing a few brain cells. The producers set the story lines. They have a formula to follow. They need interpersonal drama, heroes and antagonists.

If the people in front of the camera don't cooperate, either directly or through manipulation, they find someone who will or get creative in the editing bay. The power is all on Discovery's side.

I've known several of the people on Pacific Warriors for years. We put together a couple of magazine features. You might find them interesting. If nothing else, the photos are epic.

http://www.kayakfishmag.com/editors-...-island-style/

http://www.kayakfishmag.com/features/the-aquahunters/

Since I've fished with many of this crew, I have a few thoughts. I doubt Rob truly lost that first tuna. Isaac is a strong paddler, maybe the best of that bunch. I'm not buying his open water flip. I've never met Jason but I find it hard to believe he's such a Barney, although the boat rescue shown in the first episode is rumored to be real.

If I took it at face value, I wouldn't feel sorry for Jon Jon. Not after his scene with the needlefish, the "poor man's marlin." Laughable. Add his foul mouth, disrespectful attitude and training wheel outriggers. He doesn't strike me as a guy with the stuff to claim the first 500-lb kayak marlin. Who knows how much of it is real? None of these people can talk. They all signed NDAs.

In other words, don't take the show so seriously. It's TV. It isn't a fishing show. It's a drama that happens to have gorgeous scenery, the occasional epic fish, and a ton of awful editing. I wish the production company had treated the subject with greater respect.
PAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:24 PM   #89
jorluivil

Its not rocket science

If you don't like it

Don't watch it

I don't watch it

I'd rather watch How it's Made or How the Universe Works

www.facebook.com/Teamsewer
jorluivil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:35 PM   #90
ctfphoto

It's TV,

The problem is we know the subject too well.

I remember seeing a Bear Grylls episode where he was in the Eastern Sierra trying to get out ( I know this area like the back of my hand) and he made soooooooo many stupid mistakes it was laughable .... I know that subject too well ..........
Old 11-02-2015, 04:43 PM   #91
Dirty Curti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Sammons LJKF View Post
That is pretty funny considering we shoot in fresh water maybe once a year and not at all this year. So far this year we have been to Panama, Florida, Baja, Costa Rica, Curacao and in two weeks Belize.
My producer is in Canada so he kind of insists that we do a shoot up there every year so that gets us that one FW shoot normally. And honestly the fishing up there is pretty damn good so Ill take it.

Not going to comment on the PW show, other than great camera work and I wish if they insist on saying how dangerous and extreme the sport is that they would set an example by wearing PFD's.
Looking forward to those Shows Jim, I'll be watching!

P.S. I love that the intro is a launch from LJ.

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 06:53 PM   #92
Cbad Mike

The first and last real reality show!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20151102_195044.jpg (34.2 KB, 124 views)
Old 11-02-2015, 07:48 PM   #93
surfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAL View Post

I've known several of the people on Pacific Warriors for years. We put together a couple of magazine features. You might find them interesting. If nothing else, the photos are epic.

http://www.kayakfishmag.com/editors-...-island-style/

http://www.kayakfishmag.com/features/the-aquahunters/
Whoah, thanks for sharing! Those photos are rad!!
Old 11-02-2015, 10:45 PM   #94
Apex Predator
pushpt.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo fish View Post
Expecting this to be a fishing show is like expecting the real housewife shows to be about housewife stuff 😊...

It would be to boring.. Side bet on who gets Kimmi prego first and when Rob turns out to be really Rachel in season 3...
LMAO thats the funniest thing I heard all day!!
Apex Predator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:07 PM   #95
Apex Predator
pushpt.com

I am going to the Big Island on Saturday for 10 Days, I want to roll up on Rob's beach and see him try to punk me out. Anyone know where they launching from? Are they mostly fishing out of the Kona side of the Island?.....10 min to leave, right, more like you got 10 seconds to get out of my face. I cant believe he bullied that little Asian guy. It reminded me of the movie North Shore and the caricature stereotype Portagee Hawaiian it portrayed. I have surfed the north shore plenty of times and good surfers will always get respect if you can hold your own.
Apex Predator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:26 AM   #96
jruiz
Large Member

All of a sudden everyone's 1/10 native Hawaiian and speaking pidgin
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:04 AM   #97
ronbo613
Waterman At Large

Missed the show; no TV.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:49 AM   #98
Dave Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfphoto View Post
It's TV,

The problem is we know the subject too well.

I remember seeing a Bear Grylls episode where he was in the Eastern Sierra trying to get out ( I know this area like the back of my hand) and he made soooooooo many stupid mistakes it was laughable .... I know that subject too well ..........
This was the episode that made me realize that Discovery Channel was messing with me. The lake he swam across at the end I was sure was Grant Lake.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 01:45 PM   #99
ctfphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Legacy View Post
This was the episode that made me realize that Discovery Channel was messing with me. The lake he swam across at the end I was sure was Grant Lake.

Yes swimming across the lake (risk hypothermia) was ridiculous .... the smart move is to walk around the shoreline, duh ...

He also down climbed a steep rock face when he did not need to, everywhere in the High Sierra where there is a steep rock face, there are always easier ways down.
Old 11-07-2015, 07:03 AM   #100
RockyRaab

Saw a bit of the show last night, and even though I'm not a saltwater yakker, it didn't take long for me to groan at all the hype, the fake drama, and the terrible continuity errors.

But thanks to reading this thread, I now about Jim's shows. Searching for them next.

Reality TV is an oxymoron.
RockyRaab is offline   Reply With Quote