Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2016, 10:44 AM   #1
stevie951
Lurker

Smile New to Yak'ing in So-Cal

Hello there, I am new to Kayaking, 23 years young, but not Ocean fishing! I just purchased my first Yak, a Red Malibu Stealth 14 and am super excited with the purchase!!!!! Needless to say, of course these things needs accessorizing, as this is what I will be doing for the coming month or 2, before it is completely furnished for the seas I have a few items in mind for purchase, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

I am going to get the X-Wing Console with the switches for easy access of course, but with it, a decent fish finder, Bilge pump, aeration kit for the live well, led lights for the Bow/stern and of course the stern light, 12 v 9ah Batteries (is this enough power? WILL PURCHASE 2) and an anchor trolley kit with 5lb grappling anchor.... Of course keep in mind I am not totally defunct and can install some of these/put together the pieces; but if more intricate installation is needed, I of course will take it in. That comes to my next point, which shops? I hear OEX out in Sunset Beach is really good for these installation needs, as well I heard the Malibu Warehouse in Paramount performs these same installations, or I have a "Nomad Ventures" location near me as well (not sure if they are reputable) what do you guys suggest? I am of course looking for the most price effective way to get these installations done (not cheap, with Automotive experience, I just know that repair shops usually $$$Price Gouge$$$ the unknowing unfortunately!!)

With things I am teetering on, Honestly I am not to big on the trolling motor idea, as I feel I am not to worried about paddling out 5-10 miles at a time will be an issue (Do trolling motors even help get you from point A to point B? Or are they literally just for Trolling once the desired location is found?) If the latter is the case, then maybe I would actually prefer a trolling motor for the kelp paddy's and what not? (DOES INSTALLING A TROLLING MOTOR THEN REQUIRE YOUR YAK TO BE REGISTERED?)

And then along with the trolling motor, I was still questionable as to Outriggers as I will use this primarily for ocean fishing, I know the Stealth 14 offers Maximum Stability vs other Yak's but I am 6'1 240 Lbs, I am honestly leaning towards removable outriggers for desired situations...

As well, I will of course take my Yak out to the local lake a couple times to get accustomed to it, before I fully launch on the ocean, as to that; Any recommendations for my first Launch site? I Deep Sea Fish out of Point Loma and Dana Wharf seasonally, are these ideal locations to launch? (I would like to launch in a location with an accessible bait barge) but of course can do with fishing my own bait to simply get to that prime location

Please, any and all recommendations/comments are greatly appreciated! See you out on the seas!!

Last edited by stevie951; 02-14-2016 at 10:53 AM.
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 12:56 PM   #2
Murray

La Jolla Shores for both launch and fishing. Make sure to practice before fishing. Kayak and paddle only. Practice launching and landing. Pick a decent day to begin with.....smaller waves. Confirm you can get back in the kayak from the water when you practice in shallow water and close to shore in case you need to swim in. Must have pfd. Once you are comfortable with all that, team up with someone so you have a buddy when on the water. Have fun and catch lots of big fish.
Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 01:05 PM   #3
spicolly

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new purchase.

In addition to LJ, the bays are fun to fish. Also, up north O'Side harbor can be fun, and you have an option to head outside the harbor to fish some reefs, near a pier, and a pipe just south.

No experiences to share regarding motor or outriggers. However, I found my bank tank (Hobie) and FF to be important tools for fish catching.
spicolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 01:43 PM   #4
GeauxFish

I have found install videos on YouTube specifically for the Malibu Stealth. Easy installs are the bait tank aerator, fish finder install. Also, I built a $15 trolling motor bracket just like the $85 one sold for the Malibu. All parts I found on Amazon.
GeauxFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:30 AM   #5
Wyota

Others may have a different interpretation but my reading of the California regulations is that a trolling motor requires boat registration. As for enforcement? No idea.
Wyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 07:36 AM   #6
WARRIORMIKE

my learning experience, I would suggest taking it out tomorrow and practice launching and landing a few times, without gear at La Jolla. During the week is better, less people.

Once you get the feel take it to a lake and practice getting off and on the kayak if you fall off.
WARRIORMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 08:22 AM   #7
Saba Slayer

FHS

Stevie...Go to one of the upcoming Fred Hall Shows.
Hobie will have a seminar area right next to the Kayaks at the Long Beach and Del Mar shows.
You should be able to get a lot of your questions answered in one of the seminars or at the OEX booth. There will be a lot of rigged kayaks at all the dealers at both shows...the only better way to see a lot of different yaks is in a a big tournament.

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 05:19 PM   #8
DanaPT

Motor is over rated. I had a minkota on an exfactor. It worked for about 5 hrs and would get me around 5 to 6 miles.

I did not have tags and was never hassled by anyone.

The battery and corrosion on the switch/connections makes the whole set up too much to manage. The battery was too heavy and if you ever get your fishing line in the prop then it's a cluster you know what.

So much happier on the outback.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 06:22 PM   #9
stevie951
Lurker

Smile

Thank you all for the input it is sincerely appreciated.. Murray, thank you for the advice, will take it into account for sure thanks! Spicolly, muchos gracias my man ! Wyota, I was thinking the exact same thing..

Saba Slayer, Hobie, OEX?? OMG thank you for the Fred Hall Advice, I will def. Now be attending at least one of the days at either the Long Beach, or Del Mar Show!! Saba, which one do you recommend(Do Del Mar vendors offer better deals because it is the last show?)

And thanks Dana on the Troll Motor advice, much appreciated input
stevie951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 06:34 AM   #10
Saba Slayer

Long Beach

Stevie...go to the Long Beach Show if you can. There is nothing like it on the West Coast. The Del Mar show is cool but the FH Long Beach Show is so big and everyone and everything is there.
I'll be posting up the seminar schedule for the Hobie stage in a few days once it's confirmed...I set up the schedule last week and there are a few supprises...
here's one...Andy Allen (the Ice Man) on Sunday from 12:30 to 1:15...his topic is "Sierra Trout to Offshore Fishing and Everything In-between...!!!
I think the better deals are at the Long Beach Show, some vendors don't even do the Del Mar Show.
Join CCA CAL before you go in the show and you'll get in free and get a coupon book with some great raffle opportunities and values in the show.

On the trolling motor...I'm one of the weirdo's that likes my motor...I get plenty of speed and range from the MotorGuide I've rigged on my PA. Everybody is different and we all have our likes and dislikes. Some like to paddle and think that is the "PURE" kayak way...some like the Mirage Drive and swear that it's the only way to go...just keep an open mind and do what works best for you. the haters
I've had no corrosion problems yet and if I get line on the prop I just pull the motor out of the Mirage Drive hole and clean it up.
Yes..you do need to register your yak with the DMV if you put a motor on it...it's no big deal and it's actually easier and faster if you go through the AAA..I have been checked by my local Harbor Patrol for CF numbers and registration.

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote