Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 08-30-2016, 02:02 PM   #1
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Asuncion Today

Not a bad day of fishing today. The quality yellowtail have been conspicuously absent for me for a few months. I have been getting one or two here and there but all in the 12 to 18 pound range. Today I really got into the nicer grade fish. Was planning on harvesting one today if I caught one, but they were so aggressive that 3 additional ones swallowed my offering and were bleeding profusely. I caught a total of 6. Released 2 and gave 3 away to some pangeros at the launch. I had a shot at a very large fish. Had him to the yak a couple times but could not land him. The jig was not visible so ultimately he abraded the line and it parted. Without a doubt a personal best. 50+

Name:  SAM_0436.jpg
Views: 2616
Size:  74.6 KB
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Y'all come see me now, hear!
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:35 PM   #2
YakHanded
Thread Killer - sorry

An epic day by any standards. Glad you got into the good ones, you'll catch that 50+er again and he'll have some jewelry hanging from his mouth for you to recover....making it that much more gratifying
YakHanded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:49 PM   #3
carbonbass

Very neat reading your reports, did you permanently relocate down there? Also, in terms of safety type stuff, is there like a coast guard that would help you if you were in danger? Or is this sort of fishing at your own risk with no safety net per say?
carbonbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 03:04 PM   #4
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonbass View Post
Very neat reading your reports, did you permanently relocate down there? Also, in terms of safety type stuff, is there like a coast guard that would help you if you were in danger? Or is this sort of fishing at your own risk with no safety net per say?
Pretty much at your own risk however the fleet of pangeros, whether they be fishing, abalone diving or lobstering really watch out for each other and for me and getting their attention either visually or on the vhf is pretty easy. Not sure how permanent I am here. Been here going on 2 years. I keep telling folks I am just passing through but have been given no reason to leave.
"When beholding the tranquil beauty and brilliancy of the ocean’s skin, one forgets the tiger heart that pants beneath it; and would not willingly remember that this velvet paw but conceals a remorseless fang. "
— Herman Melville

Old 08-30-2016, 03:13 PM   #5
FISH11

That's awesome rossman. Going on two year and no reason to leave sound like paradise. Thanks for sharing
Old 08-30-2016, 03:42 PM   #6
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossman View Post
Pretty much at your own risk however the fleet of pangeros, whether they be fishing, abalone diving or lobstering really watch out for each other and for me and getting their attention either visually or on the vhf is pretty easy. Not sure how permanent I am here. Been here going on 2 years. I keep telling folks I am just passing through but have been given no reason to leave.
Living the LIFE.

Congrats on the tails, of course you know they will all fit in th new yak at the same time with room for your rods too............tight lines amigo.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 04:20 PM   #7
Fishin Phil

Logs.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:28 PM   #8
chris138
donkey roper

I predict 50 yaks in the lineup tomorrow morning!

Oh wait...
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 09:59 PM   #9
Ro12

Awesome catch
Would love to feel what a 50# is like on my line
That's gotta be a tough fight
Congrats on the beauties you did land
Ro12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 03:46 PM   #10
nickc5

Badass!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nickc5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:40 PM   #11
JohnMckroidJr

Nice catch, Thanks for the report, better luck next time on the monster mossback.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:14 AM   #12
dpliska

Good Quality

Glad to hear the larger units finally showed. Well done
You will get that PB soon.
Old 09-02-2016, 02:15 PM   #13
Druko

Nice! I'm thinking of coming down to Abreojos. Just waiting to see when my next job is. What's the water temp?
Druko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 03:52 PM   #14
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druko View Post
Nice! I'm thinking of coming down to Abreojos. Just waiting to see when my next job is. What's the water temp?
We have had a blob of cold water here in the Asuncion area that has stuck with us for most of the spring and summer. It was 63.5 yesterday. I was at Punta Eugenia a week or so ago and it was 76 there. There was a fishing tourney in La Bocana a week or so ago and several wahoo were caught so I am sure there and Abreojos is quite a bit warmer than here.
— Herman Melville

Old 09-02-2016, 04:09 PM   #15
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Nice.....

4 YT....s from a yak I would think that was a hell of a workout....good job wish I was there.
Old 09-03-2016, 11:13 AM   #16
Druko

Quote:
We have had a blob of cold water here in the Asuncion area that has stuck with us for most of the spring and summer. It was 63.5 yesterday. I was at Punta Eugenia a week or so ago and it was 76 there. There was a fishing tourney in La Bocana a week or so ago and several wahoo were caught so I am sure there and Abreojos is quite a bit warmer than here.

Awesome! Thanks for the report. I'd I end up coming down maybe I'll stop by Asuncion for a day or two. I was there 2 years ago and really liked it
Old 09-03-2016, 11:24 AM   #17
rossman
Marginally Irrelevant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Druko View Post
Awesome! Thanks for the report. I'd I end up coming down maybe I'll stop by Asuncion for a day or two. I was there 2 years ago and really liked it
That would be great. Not sure what your schedule is but I am leaving for the states on Wednesday for a couple weeks so I hope I don't miss you. Keep in touch.
— Herman Melville

Old 09-03-2016, 11:51 AM   #18
Druko

Quote:
That would be great. Not sure what your schedule is but I am leaving for the states on Wednesday for a couple weeks so I hope I don't miss you. Keep in touch.
I don't think it will be until after the 15th of Sept. Ideally, my target dates are in October. I'll keep you posted
Old 09-19-2016, 10:04 AM   #19
Druko

Looking to come down your way this Sat. Let me know if you received my pm?
Old 09-19-2016, 10:24 AM   #20
Zed
BANNED

Hes travelling today.