Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-20-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
Drake

The Official: Post your recipe HERE thread!

Post up your favorite recipes. Make sure there is a title with the fish involved so others can search the thread easily.

Don't be shy about including your favorite beverage to go along with it.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:15 PM   #2
Drake

Lobster Burgers!

Combined the meat with planko crumbs, egg, garlic, butter, cheese, salt and pepper.
Then pretty much just treated the paddies like a regular burger.
We used the broiler.

10 minutes one side, 5 minutes the other.
I wish I made them thinner though.

The meat looks pretty nasty when its raw, but oh well I know they'll be delicious.

They are pretty big, a lot bigger than I assumed they would be. Who can we text to come over? No one was around. Sorry if you didn't get a text

Smothered the buns in butter, since lobster and butter go hand in hand...
Then used some mushed up avocado with onions and tomatoes as a spread.

TOO MUCH FOOD! ABORT ABORT!!!!!
Me and rob are out for the count. Can't....eat....anymore....

Old 06-20-2013, 04:16 PM   #3
Drake

Bacon wrapped Surf-n-Turf

Disclaimer: I am in no way a trained chef. I just enjoy cooking and trying new things. Plus I'm hooping tomorrow and need to get rid of some lobster

Real world problems....

Read the "What I've learned from this dish" portion to avoid making the same mistakes I did.

I used EVERYTHING in the picture of ingredients this time... bus_kid, get off me.

Ingredients
- Two lobster tails
- Bacon
- Mayo
- Siracha
- Steak
- Toothpicks
- Fresh garlic
- Red potatoes
- Chili powder
- Boston Bay Seafood Seasoning (or Old bay sub maybe?)
- Salt/Pepper
- Olive oil
- Soy Sauce
- Worcestershire sauce
- Butter
- Parmesan cheese (shredded)

Start by steaming the tails. You want to do it pretty quickly, not to cook all the way through

When they're finished, put them in cold water to stop them from cooking

While they're in the steamer, if you're lucky have someone chop up some red potatoes

Cover the potatoes in olive oil. Mix in finely sliced bacon pieces, garlic, the Boston Bay seasoning or similar and some salt/pepper
Get them in the oven as soon as you can, they take a while to get nice and brown. Cook them at 450deg

When the tails are cooled off, pull them out of the shells as whole as you can.

Start slicing the steak into thin strips. Soak them for a few minutes in soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce.

Begin to wrap the steak around the lobster chunks first, then by a piece of bacon. Use a tooth pick to keep them together. Then, put them in the oven on the top rack

While those are cooking make yourself some spicy mayo. About a 70/30% mix of mayo to Siracha and a dash of cayenne pepper. I also went ahead and made a side salad. Just a fresh spring mix with pieces of clementines and raw sliced almonds. I put some balsamic and olive oil on as a dressing.

Once the bacon wraps start to turn nice and brown. Cover the tops in the shredded parm and throw it under the broiler for a few minutes.

Presto! All done! Hope you enjoy

Things I learned while making this dish...

- I used a nice thick smoked bacon from the butcher. If you plan to use a thick bacon, pre-cook it a bit. Otherwise it might stay raw inside of the wrap

- The steak actually didn't do as much for this dish as I had hoped for. It actually made it less succulent. If you plan to use a steak, use a nice soft meat like a Filet Mignon. I went cheap and got a budget steak.

- Make sure the roll ups stay standing up, otherwise you're going to cook one side of the wrap.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
Drake

Lobster stuffed Halibut

So what are you supposed to do when your freezer is running out of room, but the fishing is still good? COOK MORE FISH!

Decided to try something completely different. Here's what I came up with.

I'm not much for taking measurements so just go with what feels right

I used everything in the picture except for Mayo/Hot Sauce/ Egg

I call it "Lobster Stuffed Halibut with a broiled Lobster tail over a bed of Lobster Stuffing over a bed of Baby Spinach"
.... your move

Ingredients
- Olive Oil
- Parsley
- Shallots
- Garlic
- Halibut filet
- Lobster tail
- Butter
- Baby spinach
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- Plain cream cheese
- Planko bread crumbs
- Dry Sherry
- A good craft beer for sipping on

Start by steaming your lobster tail.

While it's steaming, heat olive oil over meadium heat. Add crushed garlic and chopped shallots to the olive oil. Cook for 2 minutes or until it starts to turn brown.

De-glaze the pan with about a 1/4 cup of dry Sherry. Then, slice the halibut filet into two thin slices (or use two thin pieces to begin with)
Add the halibut to the pan for just a minute, no more. Flipping this dish in the broiler will be nearly impossible, so I precooked the Halibut just a little bit.

Once the halibut is done. Check on your lobster tail, when it's finished take it out of the shell, and using two forks shred the lobster into a pile of finely shredded strings. Its ok if the tail is still a little undercooked, like mine was here

Combine the Bread crumbs, a 1/2 stick of butter, handful of the Parmesan cheese, two spoon fulls of cream cheese, some parsley and the lobster into a pan.

Cook until all the cheese is melted and the mixture starts to stick to itself, almost like a paste.
Spread the mixture over the bottom piece of Halibut. Then put the top piece on and coat with olive oil, salt and pepper. (my piece broke here but it's not a deal breaker)

Put it under the broiler. While you're in there might as well toss another lobster tail in.
No reason to get stingey now....
Broil for 7-10 minutes depending on the thickness of the Hali

While it's broiling, reduce two large handfuls of baby spinach down in some butter.
I also had some extra stuffing left over, so I made a bed of lobster stuffing. I know, I know.... pretty ghetto

Carefully slide the halibut onto the bed. I would suggest trying not to pick it up unless you're pretty confident it wont fall apart.
Old 06-20-2013, 05:30 PM   #5
RobFish
Massive Member

Great topic Drake.
We all catch fish, and those threads are fun to read, and the accompanying pictures just as awesome, but the meals and the memories that come afterwards are just as fantastic. I think that we can all agree with that.

Those were some of the best burgers I've ever had Neil. I think my cholesterol numbers went off the chart after you made those. So rich and delicious.

Here are a few of my favs in no particular order. I'm not so great at taking pictures along the way, usually just the finished product.

Cheez-It crusted rockfish on a bed of steamed spinach and brown rice

Spicy YT, lobster, cucumber, and avocado rolls

Baked WSB, done with chopped up pickles, mandarin oranges, and capers sitting on a bed of steamed spinach on top of a bed of whipped garlic mashed potatoes. Paired with a nice chilled Chardonnay.

Just a PHAT slab of YT while you're breaking down the fish.

Me and Sam the Cooking Guy taken last month.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0833.jpg (52.6 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0832.jpg (66.8 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0274.jpg (82.3 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1104.jpg (81.9 KB, 64 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1055 - Version 2.jpg (75.1 KB, 63 views)
Old 06-20-2013, 05:35 PM   #6
RobFish
Massive Member

Doh!
I forgot to add the picture of the Cheez-It crusted filet.

Come on folks, let's see some of your creations!