Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 02-20-2011, 07:39 PM   #1
wiseguy

Newport Harbor Shore Fishing

Hey guys, I was planning on fishing newport harbor tomorrow from shore. Introducing the sport to someone new and I thought some good old fashion shore fishing action would be cool.

I know there are good locations in newport but dont exactly know where to go or park. I've done 15th street before and launched the tube and yak there before but not shore fishing friendly from this side. I've heard the other side of the harbor this is good for shore fishing. Any directions on where to head out and park?

Thanks alot. Planning on throwing plastics for a couple of hours.

Thanks in advance for your help.
wiseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:51 PM   #2
T Bone

Try renting one of the Pavillion skiffs at Daveys Locker.It will open a whole world of possibilities.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 04:50 AM   #3
speedydk

Send a message via Yahoo to speedydk
Theres a small rockwall by the coastguard station that I have seen people fishing from.
speedydk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:05 AM   #4
StinkyMatt

Jetty by the Coast Guard stataion or the harbor entry jetty (inside). Wach your butt on the slippery rocks! Have fun.
StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:35 AM   #5
mtnbykr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
Jetty by the Coast Guard stataion or the harbor entry jetty (inside). Wach your butt on the slippery rocks! Have fun.
hey I thought you all were going on a field trip to Cabrillo today...too cold huh?
mtnbykr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 02:39 PM   #6
Gino

The PCH bridge, Park your car at Mc Donalds... Walk down under the bridge. be weary of bikers that come screaming by, Work swimbaits and small gulp plastics in and around the bridge. If you got some boots you can walk around the back bay area and hit the deep pockets and holes for spotties and mostly small halibut.

Find a dock and dig for soem inkeeper worms they look kinda like a clear pink blob. The Croakers, corbina and bats rays love them. toss them out on a sliding sinker rig. the big ones work well too.

Lido island is a good place, halfway out there is a small childrens park with a beach/dock inbetwen the houses. under that dock i pulled a 21 inch spottie. Theres always a couple under that dock and in the weed patches around it. Muscles and inkeeper worms work well here for croaker and corbina as the beach is lightly sandy and the water is pretty clear.

When the tide is out they fish sit in the middle channels (makes sense) when the tide is up they sit on the structure and docks. Saterday in the rain i had 20 spotties in 2 hours. though its much more fun on a kayak or float tube. fishing from shore is tougher you have to keep moving to spots so theres alot of walking but produces just as well.
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 03:27 PM   #7
Amish Ed

Try the south west side of Balboa Island. From the Ferry to the north down there is lots of beach with eel grass that you can work. Plus there's some docks. The Jetty on the peninsula side has some fish too.