Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2012, 07:23 AM   #21
RockyRaab

I intend to buy one of the Harken systems for my PA14 as soon as my deck gets remodeled. Here's the link to all their products... http://www.harkensport.com/cat/hoister.html
RockyRaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 08:28 AM   #22
Caballito

Maybe suspend it in a cargo net?
Old 07-24-2012, 08:41 AM   #23
Yakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by StinkyMatt View Post
The harbor freight lift works fine, as long as you mount it in a solid way. Had it now for two years supported a revo, an outback and now an outfitter.

Like Dorado said, buy some thicker straps.
I actually went up into my attic and laid in 2x4 to make a bigger and stronger area for support then putting the screws for my pullies strait into the end of the 2x4 which was already in there under the drywall
Old 07-24-2012, 08:31 PM   #24
MWC359

When I had a PA last year I was searching the Hobie site and saw a guy had a system alot like yours but he had some kinfd of electric motor attached. And if im not mistaked another guy used an electric drill motor to spin his up. Sorry I dont have the link but I know I read it and saw the pics.
MWC359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 09:29 PM   #25
Yakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWC359 View Post
When I had a PA last year I was searching the Hobie site and saw a guy had a system alot like yours but he had some kinfd of electric motor attached. And if im not mistaked another guy used an electric drill motor to spin his up. Sorry I dont have the link but I know I read it and saw the pics.
Many different ways to do it and I will update pics when I profect it. I just needed to get it off the ground. Just hope the way Ive done it doesnt hurt my kayak. I hope andy can come in with his expert advice.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:57 AM   #26
Old Man in the Sea

Send a message via Yahoo to Old Man in the Sea
The PA storage rack I built

I used an old canoe trailer for $275 and got hobie cradles for the PA - it is also a knotless, truck free version that requires minimal lifting...and can be pulled downhill by a motorcycle...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hobie trailer.jpg (59.6 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by Old Man in the Sea; 07-25-2012 at 11:00 AM. Reason: add picture
Old Man in the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:50 PM   #27
itchybass
Junior

I don't have a PA so not sure my setup would work in your case but i'll share to at least give you some ideas. I bought a couple of the harbor freight bike lifts and they work great for my revo, that is with a couple of modifications. Here is a pic of my revo hanging in my garage.

So basically i just put up a couple of 2x6's between my rafters and mounted the bike lift to them. Here's a pic of them.

There are a couple of necessary modifications to make the bike lift work for a yak due to the increased weight. You will need to replace the cheap plastic pulleys with higher quality metal ones. I found a couple at home depot and they were pretty cheap. I also replaced the rope that came with the bike lift with some climbing rope.

Another thing I did to make lifting the kayak easier was buy a second bike lift and mount another pulley to one of my walls. This really helped and putting my kayak up takes less than a minute. Here's a pic of this pulley.

If you have any questions just let me know. I hope this gives you some ideas.
itchybass is offline   Reply With Quote