Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 04-04-2015, 09:27 AM   #1
Cjopson
Junior

La Jolla Yellows

Hello,
I am a new kayak angler and was hoping to get advice about suggested tackle for catching yellowtail as well as while seabass. My primary fishing area would be la jolla kelp beds.
My first question involves using braid as opposed to mono specifically, how necessary is braid?
Second, I was looking at a seeker 670 7' with a daiwa sealine x40sha for a flylining/yoyo setup. Does this sound like a good setup? Also, would it be better to have another rod dedicated to yoyo irons?
Any other recommendations for gear would be greatly appreciated.
Cjopson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:16 AM   #2
momo fish

I now know how you old timers feel ....

Try searching forums as this topic has been well discussed. Good luck and welcome..
momo fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:04 AM   #3
Irishman

Perfect set up, spool with 60lb power pro and 40lb mono top shot, or skip mono and 15' top shot fluoro of 40lb
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:45 AM   #4
5-20

The seeker black steel 6470 or 6470-h would probably be a better rod. The 670's nice but pretty soft.
5-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 12:24 PM   #5
FARRIER

Yes it is good to have a rod for each style. You never know when your gonna stumble upon a school and you want to be prepared to get down to business immediately. I like the seeker classic series rods cause they are cheap. BSC270H-8CT is my go to bait rod. I have caught big yellowtail, tuna, albacore on this rod. Its a good all around setup paired with a saltist reel. I liked me sealine but my saltists have faired much better.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:13 PM   #6
5-20

I'm going to add that my first yak rod was a seeker black steel 670 because a lot of guys on this site seem to like that rod and that was what popped up a lot in the searches i did. I just couldn't get over how soft it felt. I had it overnight and took it back to squidco to look around a little bit more. Once i picked up a phenix psw 700h... Oh boy, i was sold. Really hated myself for picking it up because it was a lot more $ than the seeker but that rod's going to do everything you want it to.

I don't think its too bad spending a lot of money on a yak rod especially if it comes with a lifetime warranty. And rods simply dont get torn up as bad as reels do yak fishing, that's for sure.

Phenix psw 700h. Take a look at that rod. It's gonna be perfect for most 1.5 to 3 day tuna trips too.
5-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 05:08 PM   #7
Irishman

Most if not all of us buy bear with the idea every fish we catch will be a 40lb fish of a lifetime. I honestly am over geared for my fishing. Your setup is perfect. Remember on a yak you get the luxury of the yak acting as a piece of the drag component
Irishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 05:57 PM   #8
taggermike

Your out fit will do fine. In most situation braid isn't a must have in LJ. But when you have a fish wrapped in the kelp, braid will definately raise your chances of cutting the fish loose. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 06:46 PM   #9
Cjopson
Junior

Thanks for the help guys. See you on the water.
Cjopson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
la. jolla, white seabass, yellowtail