Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 11-26-2011, 06:38 AM   #1
Devildawgjj
Kayak BOOT

Electrical

I want to get the Marine Dual Bus to facilitate future electrical additions. My FF has a 3amp inline fuse set-up. Would I need to get another one (with a 3 amp fuse) to run the FF and bait tank on the same battery, or would just the one 3 amp fuse suffice? How about a one 5 amp fuse instead of two 3's?
Devildawgjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 05:47 PM   #2
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Depending on the size of the pump, the starting surge might blow 3A fuse. This would be even more of a concern if the pump is on a timer. The repeated cycling might cause the fuse to blow over time, even if the surge does not exceed the fuse rating. Again, depending on the pump capacity, you will probably be better off with a 5A-7A fuse for the pump. Best practice is to fuse each load individually with a fuse rated for the component.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:07 PM   #3
Devildawgjj
Kayak BOOT

A couple of question....

Does the gage of each wire matter, as far as, mixing them? I have 12-18 combinations and don't know it that affects anything.

Running the fuse from my bait tank... it stays on the postive wire, correct? I don't spilt it up pos/neg...

The fuse from the FF is on the same Pos wire, so I just assume it's the same for the bait tank. I need to have a quick disconnect because the bait tank has to be removed for traveling. Looking at the pictures, where should I put it?

The last pos/neg stations on the Bus will go towards the pelican battery box. Any insight on my progress (postive or negative) will be appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (61.2 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (48.6 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg 003.jpg (60.8 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (67.3 KB, 140 views)
Devildawgjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:49 AM   #4
NathanJ777
Junior

Fuse the neg wire. You should fuse each load. Getting a bigger fuse to serve two devises is not a good idea and almost pointless. As far as wire sizes go bigger is better. You can mix match sizes just don't use wire that is smaller than the factory wire on the devise you are running to. Also I would put a fuse between your block terminal and battery. It could be pretty big say 15a just in case. If something conductive were to fall on or lean against the buss it could get ugly. Hope this helps.

One other thing. You can get a time delay fuse for your pump if you really want to do it right.
NathanJ777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 10:56 AM   #5
coxtanker421

when we going fishing together

unsafe to yak alone. pm if interested . Thx Gunny . Semper Fi. season is around corner. im almost ready.
coxtanker421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 11:24 AM   #6
T Bone

My bait tank wiring finally crapped out.I will have to redo the whole sha-bang.I am also getting a newer Sonar too so will do it then.I never bothered having a fuse anywhere in my bait system.Maybe i missed something.I do have a variable timer with a dial.I keep waiting for it to die but it keeps on ticking.

"Who among you,if your son asked for a fish would give them a serpent " Jesus Matt. 7:10
T Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 05:07 PM   #7
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanJ777 View Post
Fuse the neg wire. You should fuse each load. Getting a bigger fuse to serve two devises is not a good idea and almost pointless. As far as wire sizes go bigger is better. You can mix match sizes just don't use wire that is smaller than the factory wire on the devise you are running to. Also I would put a fuse between your block terminal and battery. It could be pretty big say 15a just in case. If something conductive were to fall on or lean against the buss it could get ugly. Hope this helps.

One other thing. You can get a time delay fuse for your pump if you really want to do it right.
the Neg wire? Why not the positive like every other 12 volt system?

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote