Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2017, 11:00 AM   #1
Dannowar

Dodging weather and wingin' it Baja style. Long post.

After busting my ass almost seven days a week at work in December the only thing getting me through each late night was the thought of filling my freezer and getting some quality south of the border time in. The original plan was to hit gonzaga with my favorite BWE boys but as the date came closer, the forecast didn't look too in our favor (this would later be incorrect). After collecting some intel from some well traveled Baja anglers we decided to just drive past the low pressure system and take a gamble on a hotel or two being open.

First stop was Campo encantadas to say what's up to the boys and grab my copy of The Baja Catch. Bullshitted and laid out our plan to Rob and Bob and got a little hint that mayyyybe there might be some leftover pozole and tamales next door....

Confirmed. Necessary fuel up for the next 7 hours on the road.

The drive was a blast with the recent rains and had a ton of fun charging through puddles and pushing my Tacoma through the bumpy ride back to the freeway.

Cocos corner

Baja wax job

With our sights set on Punta chivato, we showed up in the dusky sun setting hours and pulled up to hotel prospect number one. Closed. Glad I downloaded the whole region on google maps.... Next option down the road,closed. Shit. Looks like we're camping. Threw the truck into 4wd and basically rock crawled down a steep hillside and attempted to set up camp on the north side of punta chivato on a nice little sand beach. Wind starts blowing. There goes our tent... Decision time. I walk up the rock and see that my phone has trace elements of some of the weakest reception I've ever seen. Better than nothing. I call up an ex girlfriend who went to high school with a dude who lives in Mulege. She comes through big time and gets us directions. We crawl through the dirt road almost an hour back to the pitch black main road and white knuckle drive down to Playa Buenaventura. We pull up to a bonfire full of travelers and a full bar. Things are looking up. We arrange a panga through our friends connection and after a few beers get some well needed rest.

Islands in Bahia Conception

morning view from our porch

The sad reality of this sleepy oasis town is that most of the reefs in the area are barren due to pangueros either netting or using hookah to commercially harvest grouper/snapper. Day one was a feel out day where we dove many beautiful spots and slammed some nice Coconaco. Or barred pargo.

Stoked but not satisfied we went in search of a panguero who could put us on some mean reef fish.

Wacky roadside installation

One of the many revealing curves in the winding road.

Day two and three we found a good reef and pushed our limits yanking some Pargo out of their holes. If you're not familiar with cubera snapper just know that they do not go quietly. If you dont kill the fish instantly, you're in for some spelunking to dig these escape artists back out of their caves. Even a ten pound fish will humble you.

...good thing I had my custom made (in the USA by hand) Snapper Slapper. Face shot.

DOG Pile

Leaving the mulege rivermouth

Windy and bumpy. Not to mention freezing. Not your typical Baja sur weather system.

Jeans, hoodies,parkas, glad we came prepared. Just gotta recover from my bruised ass after the long panga ride.

Time goes too fast when you're in Mexico. Here's some more misc. pics.

Cactus road just south of mulege

Breathtaking sunrise as usual.

When you're a six pack of tecate and 6 shots of mezcal deep, this is that your campfire looks like.

Said mezcal

Fog plus cows equal slowwww driving

Feliz Viaje! Feliz Ano!

Stopped at Bobs on the way up to vacuum our fish and lay out our Baja curriculum for next month. It can't come soon enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2017, 11:36 AM   #2
Iceman
Administrator

Killer photo report! Viva Baja! Mulege is on my radar Bahia Conception looks like it would be a blast on the kayak.
Old 01-08-2017, 11:45 AM   #3
Dannowar

Absolutely. If we had a few more days we were gonna paddle to a couple sweeet islands. Definitely worth the drive. I'd be interested in a group kayak outing!

Old 01-08-2017, 12:17 PM   #4
5-20

Really great pictures. Too bad about the fish depletion in those areas. I may need to pull my first baja trip sometime soon.
5-20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:10 PM   #5
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-20 View Post
Really great pictures. Too bad about the fish depletion in those areas. I may need to pull my first baja trip sometime soon.
JUST DO IT.......before you can't as life seems to get in the way of those who PROCRASTINATE, not saying you do, just saying.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:20 PM   #6
YakDout
Brandon

Sick trip. Mulege, chivato, san bruno, conception bay, all really nice areas along the sea of cortez. All the little islands and reefs in conception bay is cool. Long drive, but well worth it.
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 07:26 PM   #7
blitzburgh

Absolutely BAD ASS. Great write up and rad trip!!!
Old 01-09-2017, 11:54 AM   #8
Dannowar

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzburgh View Post
Absolutely BAD ASS. Great write up and rad trip!!!

Thanks guys. I wanna drive to la paz/Cabo next!
Old 01-10-2017, 03:13 AM   #9
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
Are you interested in.....

Staying under "Longer".................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ..
I'll make ya a deal on my two HP steel 120 scuba tanks.
New hydro dates...I did both kinds of diving

Last edited by MITCHELL; 01-10-2017 at 04:05 AM.
MITCHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 04:30 AM   #10
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Talking The only advice.....

I will give you is get a colonscopy when you turn 50
It's better to scrape then "CUT"
Old 01-10-2017, 08:05 AM   #11
Dannowar

I don't wanna be on the receiving end of your yearning to touch my colon old man. Get out of my thread

Old 01-10-2017, 12:33 PM   #12
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

And don't you post on my thread eather...

You F......g smart ass....
Old 01-10-2017, 01:03 PM   #13
SDROB
Malibu Stealth 12

Sick post! Dope pics! Nice haul. Another successful Baja trip in the books!

I'm telling ya, you have to keep these suckers on a game clip until just before you drop them in the frying pan.(Rossman)
SDROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 06:37 PM   #14
goldenglory18

Don't know what looks better, the pile of scales or the that Mezcal. Hmmmm....tequila......

Awesome post!
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:28 PM   #15
FullFlavorPike

Damn. Way to slay.

Who built that Snapper Slapper? That thing looks sweeeeeeeeet.
FullFlavorPike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:49 PM   #16
Dannowar

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenglory18 View Post
Don't know what looks better, the pile of scales or the that Mezcal. Hmmmm....tequila......

Awesome post!

My good friend Renzo Garcia and I worked on this thing for a while. No recoil and hucks a 5/16 shaft like a
Toothpick.