Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2017, 03:03 PM   #1
goldenglory18

Went by OEX Sunset today...

...and what a great shop those guys have. Andy was super helpful and gave me some info on their stock. I asked some questions and he was definitely well versed in the Wilderness Systems boats. If/when I decide to get a NEW (not used, BLEM, or whatever the ****) yak, these guys are at the top of my list.

Oh, while in the HB area, I drove over to a tackle shop called "Charkbait." I'd heard it talked about but I'm rarely in the area so I thought I'd stop by. Cool shop with a lot to look at and the guys were great. Lots of options in Hammer SB's and they have a local company called "Mutant Tackle" that makes awesome inshore jigs. Again, really nice and helpful guys that were a pleasure to do business with. Good heavens I love this SoCal fishing scene...

Happy Friday everyone!
goldenglory18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 03:19 PM   #2
Mahigeer

Andy is the best.

Charkbait is famous for having bikini clad models in their add.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 03:27 PM   #3
Dave Legacy

I use Mutant Tackle swimbaits in 5" quite often and really like them; They're worth a look if you like paddle-tails. I like the weedless leadheads a bunch too, but haven't tried their jigs yet.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 09:35 PM   #4
bwana

Better check those swimbaits to make sure they are not BLEMs.
bwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 08:49 AM   #5
Iceman
Administrator

Kenny, nice meeting you too. Charkbait is one of my local favs another that has greatly improved in recent years is Big Fish on Seal Beach BLVD and PCH. Couple others I like in HB are Pacific Edge and Fisherman's Hardware.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:28 AM   #6
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
Andy is the best.

Charkbait is famous for having bikini clad models in their add.
Yes, Andy was awesome. I'm looking forward to doing business with these guys. Saw those girls on their site. Fun idea, not exactly well executed. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Legacy View Post
I use Mutant Tackle swimbaits in 5" quite often and really like them; They're worth a look if you like paddle-tails. I like the weedless leadheads a bunch too, but haven't tried their jigs yet.
I saw those. Awesome pours they have going. How well do they hold up after a bite? They look like they have that extra clear coating that some bait makers have now (YUM comes to mind...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwana View Post
Better check those swimbaits to make sure they are not BLEMs.
Hahaha, everything, all the time......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
Kenny, nice meeting you too. Charkbait is one of my local favs another that has greatly improved in recent years is Big Fish on Seal Beach BLVD and PCH. Couple others I like in HB are Pacific Edge and Fisherman's Hardware.
Awesome stuff, Andy. Thanks again for answering my questions and being patient with me. I got your email and will respond back today. I think we are a go, just less the paddle (I'll just pick that up separately when I get the boat.) Thanks again for the excellent service.....!
Old 01-15-2017, 05:06 PM   #7
Dave Legacy

The plastic used seems to be a little firmer than that used by big hammer. Is that good or bad? Not sure, but they're pretty durable and they hold onto the leadheads well.
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2017, 05:53 PM   #8
goldenglory18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Legacy View Post
The plastic used seems to be a little firmer than that used by big hammer. Is that good or bad? Not sure, but they're pretty durable and they hold onto the leadheads well.
Its all about the action. So long as the bait works, durability is secondary. BUT, if they just fall apart on the jighead, or one fish nips at it and it tears in half, then I can't deal with that. There are better products that work for less money.

I might check them out just for the variety. All I have right now are Big Hammers and some other brand that's similar but a bit of a thicker profile.

Thanks for the info!