Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 02-22-2016, 10:02 AM   #1
Dirty Curti

First Yard Sale

And I wasn't even in the kayak...

Sunday headed for Carlsbad and arrived about 7:00am to high tide and big waves so I decided to go to the Harbor.

Short trip to the harbor, nobody around, sun shining should be a good day. Got everything ready and walked down to the launch dock. Ready to pull the yak into the water off the dock like I always do and as the yak is over the water it starts to roll just as I pull it in. The yak continues to roll upside down into the water as everything pours out.

Fishing poles to the bottom (of course they're not leashed) 3 tackle boxes (2 floated 1 sank) Radio floated. Flipped the yak over and retrieved the floating items.

I left my sabiki rod in the truck since I was going to get bait from the bait dock. Put a treble hook on the bottom with a rubber core sinker and started dragging the bottom for 3 fishing poles. After about 20 minutes I snag the first rod. Start dragging again and after another 30 minutes I snag rod #2. This rod had a Sumo Iron on it so I started dragging for the third rod with that. An hour later I still can't find it.

I decided to load everything up in the truck as I am taking this as a sign that I shouldn't be fishing today. Took a piss and headed back down to try again. I am not giving up. I start dragging again and about 20 minutes later I snag something and up comes an old rod that must have been down there for a good year. Keep dragging and I somehow snag the tackle box that sank. This one had all of my irons in it. So the only thing left to find is the third rod.

I'm in it now for a good 2.5 hours and the next thing that comes up is a pair of reading glasses. WTF? I am cleaning the bottom and I can't find my last rod? I am not giving up. I've covered the area, which is the length of the boat dock for 2.5 hours and the only thing I can think of is trying a little further outside my mark or it's under the dock. I decide to drop the lure on one side of the dock a couple of feet out further than normal then walk to the other side of the dock with slack line and then slowly drag it across and the second time I did this it snags something heavy and up comes the third rod. OMFG! FINALLY!

Get in my truck and go home for the day. Took all of the reels apart to dry out and re-lube and hope they will survive.

I like to share my success' but thought I would share my embarrassment as well.

Dirty Curti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 10:21 AM   #2
YakDout
Brandon

Wow, that is impressive. Surprised you didnt attract a crowd, sounds like a chris angel performance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 10:42 AM   #3
surfisher

Insane! At least you got it all back! As long as you cleaned your reels you should be ok.
Old 02-22-2016, 10:44 AM   #4
spicolly

Curtis - glad you got your gear back - that had to be frustrating! Also, thanks for the heads up. I have to admit that I was just sharing with my wife over the weekend how much I enjoy launching from slips in the Harbor because its so mellow and much less sandy...I'm getting old!
spicolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 10:54 AM   #5
chancy94

What a recovery! Can't believe you were able to accomplish a save like that.

Explore More http://voidventure.blogspot.com/
chancy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:00 AM   #6
kayachapi

Good job! Hey I think those glasses are mine. I usually leave a pair wherever I go.
kayachapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:02 AM   #7
EastLosYaker

Come back of the year! Glad you got your gear back!
EastLosYaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 01:25 PM   #8
BigTunaL

Glad you retrieved all your gear. Hope to fish with you again soon.

BigTunaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 02:34 PM   #9
stoned-trout

persistence pays off.. I got run into by the Olympic row team once on otay lake and 2 rods went into water ...I got em back too...
Old 02-22-2016, 02:57 PM   #10
spyakker

holy smokes, I don't even put that much time into fishing. lol!
Good recovery!
spyakker is offline   Reply With Quote