Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-05-2016, 12:15 AM   #1
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Location: Where ever I may roam where I lay my head I call home.
Send a message via AIM to MITCHELL
La jolla fishing report Saturday 6/4/16

With kayakers out in full force it was an ankle slapper launch in the fog which burned off by 9am and flat seas a little slow making bait at first so I changed color on my home tied mackerel flys and then a big school of mackerel boiled and I loaded up with full gangions with a mix of pacific and Spanish mackerel so I started fishing........had live bait all day long with no hookups but sealions lost count how many sealions ate my bait.when I would see a sealion I would wined my mackerel up tight to my canoe and lift it out of the water My head was turned one time and the bloodie bastard about jerked my rod out of my hand three feet away with no catch to take home and seeing no hookups I did hear one yahoo from two guys in a boat casting iron into boils it was a well over due trip of having to work and missing the thrasher shark bite felt good to be on the water
Forgot to check water temperature wondering if any other yakers caught anything
Attached Images

Last edited by MITCHELL; 06-05-2016 at 04:03 AM.
MITCHELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 05:24 AM   #2
pingpangdang

I have seen more success on the dropper as of recent. Most tails landed just immediately west of the mpa. Even saw a pb get one on the bottom there when most people just stop for bait...that one was a late tail around noon. I got busted off on the bottom yesterday around 8...didn't have my drag locked down and gave him too much swimtime. I was trying for wsb so my drag was light.star drag. Should of thumbed it to get a couple cranks. i would love to see underwater footage of a tail busting off on the bottom. Knots were good 50lb mono spider hitch dropper. Line all roughed up. Caught me off guard and fumbled.

Also I've been foul hooking squid on a salas 6x. Reports of tails stuffed with squid recently. I think a lot of folks are live lining so there are less reports...that was the ticket a while ago. Try dropper instead between the cove and the bump. May not need to hit the nwc. Temps going up again compaired to the not so great weather of recent. Might have more success on the fly soon but as you can see the bait isn't as thick as it was a while back.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk
pingpangdang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:08 AM   #3
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Seal got me .....

On the dropper lupe to where you buying squid I was told no market squid around
Old 06-05-2016, 07:36 AM   #4
pingpangdang

Greenmac will work...that's what was used for the recent fish caught. I hooked up on squid with my jig so there is squid at spots and this was after sunrise...i don't recall seeing the blue marks on my fishfinder though. Also squid has been found in bellies. there are tails on the bottom and if your mac is down there too you'll get bit.

It's like winter tactics have been better the last few weeks.

The day you fish dropper is the day everyone starts getting them flyline...could slow troll a bottom and fl top to increase your odds.

I've has more success on the bottom recently...skunked if I just flyline. Makes sense...i don't see the thunder clouds of bait like a month or two ago when flyline was hot. Now bait is around but not thick thick. less fin bait and with squid at spots it's probably easier for them to pick off the bottom. Know of folks hooking up on the yoyo vice surface iron.

Yesterday the weather jumped up...if it keeps up flyline will be the ticket again. You'll see the chatter and see the Bubbas all landing up top then it's time to switch up.

Im not as smart as the old salts here but that's my take which works for me.

pingpangdang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 04:27 AM   #5
Sheephead

I haven't gotten too many yellows lately but im getting more on flyline than dropper still. Probably 2/3 flyline 1/3 dropper.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pingpangdang View Post
I have seen more success on the dropper as of recent. Most tails landed just immediately west of the mpa. Even saw a pb get one on the bottom there when most people just stop for bait...that one was a late tail around noon. I got busted off on the bottom yesterday around 8...didn't have my drag locked down and gave him too much swimtime. I was trying for wsb so my drag was light.star drag. Should of thumbed it to get a couple cranks. i would love to see underwater footage of a tail busting off on the bottom. Knots were good 50lb mono spider hitch dropper. Line all roughed up. Caught me off guard and fumbled.

Also I've been foul hooking squid on a salas 6x. Reports of tails stuffed with squid recently. I think a lot of folks are live lining so there are less reports...that was the ticket a while ago. Try dropper instead between the cove and the bump. May not need to hit the nwc. Temps going up again compaired to the not so great weather of recent. Might have more success on the fly soon but as you can see the bait isn't as thick as it was a while back.

Sheephead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 04:54 AM   #6
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Nice ....

All Thanks for the info
Old 06-07-2016, 10:08 AM   #7
Ror_sal
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHELL View Post
With kayakers out in full force it was an ankle slapper launch in the fog which burned off by 9am and flat seas a little slow making bait at first so I changed color on my home tied mackerel flys and then a big school of mackerel boiled and I loaded up with full gangions with a mix of pacific and Spanish mackerel so I started fishing........had live bait all day long with no hookups but sealions lost count how many sealions ate my bait.when I would see a sealion I would wined my mackerel up tight to my canoe and lift it out of the water My head was turned one time and the bloodie bastard about jerked my rod out of my hand three feet away with no catch to take home and seeing no hookups I did hear one yahoo from two guys in a boat casting iron into boils it was a well over due trip of having to work and missing the thrasher shark bite felt good to be on the water
That would be us "yahooing" haha
Ror_sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:06 PM   #8
Batmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHELL View Post
Mitchell,

I saw your rig in your truck as you were leaving Squidco on Friday. Any chance you could throw up a few photos and explain your very unique setup.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Batmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 08:20 PM   #9
MITCHELL
Sea Hunter

Still in the prototype faze.....

I'm not releasein anymore information. You cannot put a patient on a bracket so I released the booya brace stabilizer under share your Inovation. If you look back on the post,When you always wanted a John Deer but your lawn was never big enough to mow......you can see more pictures of my canoe I'll be fishing Lj every chance I get.
I will share my canoe design at a later date in time