Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
DanaPT

dana point 7/18

What a difference a week makes.

UP early but dilly dallied. On the water by 5 am baited up and went south to the capo area. Dropped lines in the water by 5:30, in around 30 feet. Water temp was 67, can that really be?

Didn't take long before I had three fish on two set-ups on my first drift. I've been using the trap rig set up. On rig one, I had one 10 inch calico on the top hook AND a 13 inch on the bottom treble. I had a 16 inch on the other set-up.

The good mojo continued, and I managed a PB calico. I'm guessing 3-4 lbs and was about 18 inches.

A little while later a baby small WSB tried to gobble down his own length and weight and took my sardine. An easy hook, the little pig couldn't fit the fish in it's mouth.

The leopard and smooth-hound sharks are around. I did manage to land one two-footer, maybe a tad bigger. I had 2 others bite and cut through the line as I tried to turn them from their run.

Around 10 am the wind picked up. A stiff wind blowing south made for a work-out of a paddle back to the harbor (2 paddles forward and 1 drift back.) White caps and just plain no fun. But I did manage a barely legal sand bass.

Off the water by 11 am. All in all a good day on the water.
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 09:35 PM   #2
vincentek9
MAYNEE-YAK

sounds like variety! thanks for the report.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:52 PM   #3
Fisherman4454
Junior

Yeah that wind kicked up down in La Jolla too.. And the calico were on the chew down here as well. Nice report!
Fisherman4454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 10:42 AM   #4
Amish Ed

Hitting the pipe on Tuesday hopefully they bite for me like they did for you. Just got back from surfing San Clemente, no wind as of 10:30.