Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
Amish Ed

What month is it?

Fished Newport on Tuesday for 2 whole bass. WTH month is this anyways? I swear I thought it was July. Had perfect overcast, some current, and the water felt pretty warm. Not sure what's up. Launched at 6:30am to almost slack tide and headed for the bait barge figuring I'd ride the tide in. Well after almost 2hrs (and three bites) of waiting I headed in for the moored boats hitting docks along the way. Finally hit the boats and started getting bit every once in a while. The current was there a bit, the fish just weren't biting. After a couple hours of no fish and few bites I moved to the channel. Same deal, but no bites. Made my final move to the shoal/buoy line by the USCG launch. In an hour I pulled 2 spotties, lost another to a rock, and farmed another. Then that bite died off and I headed home with my head between my legs.

The fish I did get fell to a 3" scampi in rootbeer/gold flake. The Yamamoto Swimmin' Senko in pearl got bit, but didn't get any takers. The rest of the kitchen sink pretty much went untouched.

But, it was better than working at least.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:29 AM   #2
The Freediver

You know, it's been VERY hit or miss in Newport lately. Seems like everywhere has been actually. I've taken my boat out 4 times in Newport with live anchovies and one day had wide open bass and cudas in the afternoon at the bait dock and then it just shut off. One almost full day fished since daylight for about 15 halibut but 14 shorts and one 28 incher and maybe 2 small bass in the mix (that is weird!!!) so I don't know whats up. Oh, and the other times caught very few fish at all. I think it's really all about timing.

Maybe 5 year ago when I was just getting into Freediving I was buddies with one of the bait dock guys in Newport. He let me tie up and gave me bait while we fished together. One morning I had a wide open maybe 50 bass bite. All of the sudden nada. I decided to dive and see what was under the surface figuring the fish had moved out with the tide change
As I decended for my first drop I was greeted by a few hundred sand bass just hanging docile below the bait dock. I got out and began casting right where I new the school was at not catching a single fish.

The fish are always there but sometimes they just don't bite. I fished ALL OVER LA harbor and huntington harbor last week for 0 bass and 0 halis. Ended up burning all my gas hitting high spots for a few Boccaccio. Weird stuff.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:46 PM   #3
blitzburgh

I hate that. Conditions look epic and no love. I have had other days, with WAY less than desirable conditions and caught fish til I was tired of it. She can be fickle.
Old 07-26-2012, 04:39 PM   #4
capntim

DP was no better. Got out buy 7. Bait barge only had super sized sardines.
Went in by 10 and finished day fishing in harbor so I wouldnt get blown into next week. Nothing but raked baits all day inside and out. All looked
like juvi halibut. Had a pelican ride shotgun on my bow for about a half
hour to keep me company. Still nice to be on the water.
capntim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:01 PM   #5
JohnnyCope
The Four-Finger discount

Ya man no love there
JohnnyCope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 08:52 AM   #6
Amish Ed

Guess our area just isn't where it's at. Hopefully Monday I can go where the fish are biting.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:11 AM   #7
landwhale

Cherry?

landwhale is offline   Reply With Quote