Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2016, 08:45 PM   #1
Rocketfish

Where to tie for tow

Hey BWE homies. My friend has a seadoo jet ski, and wanted to do some fishing at a distant breakwall. He plans to tow me real slowly from the boat launch. I have a 2015 Hobie Outback. Can you guys recommend the best location on my kayak to tie the tow line? Do I need to worry about the type of rope or anything else to minimize damage to either vessel? I was planning on looping a line through the mirage drive opening in the hull and then have maybe 8 or 10 feet distance between us. I did NOT want to tie it on one of the handles or anything like that.

The key is we plan on going SLOWLY. Do any of you see any potential problems with this?
Rocketfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 09:33 PM   #2
jruiz
Large Member

Wink

If it's a 2 seater, just hop on board and tow an empty kayak from the bow handle. Remember to whisper in his ear as you make your way
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 10:50 PM   #3
King Saba

Not sure if you can do a tandem ride. On more than one occasion I've seen jetskiers get stopped by the sheriff when riding tandem.
King Saba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 04:58 AM   #4
Rocketfish

LOL jruiz! No tandem, I just need a tow
Old 10-16-2016, 06:18 AM   #5
jruiz
Large Member

I tried to get my brother to tow me upstream at Laughlin one time. I found that it took a lot of force to pull a loaded kayak, so much so that I didn't want to tie off anywhere on the kayak to risk damaging it in anyway. So we tried towing while I held the rope by hand. My conclusion was that the kayak tended to wander off center and eventually ended up sideways if pulled from anywhere behind the bow handle. This was a hobie adventure.
jruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:15 AM   #6
monstahfish

What Jruiz said is accurate. If you tie off to the well, it's likely to end up sideways. I would jump on the ski and tie to the bow handle.
monstahfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:43 AM   #7
MrPukaShell

Run a line through the handle and then to you. That way the kayak stays straight and you can let go if it gets out of control.
MrPukaShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 10:07 AM   #8
GTboosted

Dont tow. You will most likely damage it.

I got towed in a tarpon 140 and the handle strap that it was attached to broke in less than ten seconds. Even if you do not tie to a handle you have much more drag than my tarpon did. Not worth it in my opinion.
GTboosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 01:28 PM   #9
rodbuster
Junior

Thumbs up WE HAD NO PROBLEMS

On the first trip of the Black Pearl, with kayaks, Pablo Joe was asked to get a few kayakers to see how we would rig a charter boat for kayaks. Loading
-unloading, storage, etc. They took us to San Clemente one day and Santa Catalina the next. The Black Pearl towed six to eight of our kayaks from one spot to the next on San Clemente and had no problems that I remember, they were tied one in front of the next with two lines as I recall.
It was not fast but kept us from loading and unloading. I think if you don't go to fast and in good water conditions, it would be something I would try for sure. Just be safe and make sure your straps are in good condition.
It was a great trip
GOOD LUCK
rodbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 02:06 PM   #10
Saba Slayer

Black Pearl

Thread jack.......

Rodbuster...
I was on that first Black Pearl Trip too. That was really fun fishing both islands.
Is Pablo Joe still around?

Saba Slayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:27 AM   #11
TJones

would a tourniquet around your neck help?

[QUOTE=GTboosted;270639]Dont tow. You will most likely damage it.

I got towed in a tarpon 140 and the handle strap that it was attached to broke in less than ten seconds. Even if you do not tie to a handle you have much more drag than my tarpon did. Not worth it in my opinion.[/QUOTE
that would be a big mess , if a loaded yak rolled in wake.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 08:28 AM   #12
TJones

shame on you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
Thread jack.......

Rodbuster...
I was on that first Black Pearl Trip too. That was really fun fishing both islands.
Is Pablo Joe still around?
you are pulling one of my moves.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 09:39 AM   #13
Rocketfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruiz View Post
...So we tried towing while I held the rope by hand. My conclusion was that the kayak tended to wander off center and eventually ended up sideways if pulled from anywhere behind the bow handle. This was a hobie adventure.
We also ended up doing the same thing. I held the rope by hand and had to steer to stay within the wake. One time i almost flipped sideways and had to let go. Our top speed was 5.3 knots, but man, it was tough to hold on more than a couple of minutes.

I discovered another problem AFTER our trip back. My yak was filled with about 3 or 4 gallons of water! Looking back, I noticed that the entire back hatch of my outback was underwater whenever we went fast. Also, depending on where I was in the Seadoo's wake, water would flow OVER the front hatch. I suspect this is where most of the water entered because isn't the Outback notorious for having a sh*tty seal in the front hatch? It's funny because during the outing i checked my center hatch for water filling up and only noticed a tiny bit of water. maybe it happened on the way back in?

Thanks for the advice guys. I may try this one more time by making a loop through the mirage drive opening, and then HOLDING a rope through the front that i can let go of per some of the advice here. I suspect once the rudder is up, and we pull from the front as much as possible, AND my 225 fat a** isn't bogging the outback down, we should be ok for longer durations.