Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 10-21-2016, 05:40 AM   #1
Ggiannig89

Oversized lobster Q

Every time I see a report of a big lobster being caught I see a response saying, "let it go, the meat is too tough at that size anyway ".
When I first got into fishing and hooping I landed myself a 5-6 pounder. That was before I understood that the big ones are the breeders. The sucker tasted great in my opinion.
So my question is, why do people say the meat gets tough? Have people actually tried them that big? Maybe people cook the meat too long since it's such a big lobster? Basically this question can be asked for any big fish. Just random thoughts

*disclaimer*. I'm not for keeping the monsters. Please let the big lobby's go. I'd love to be pulling in bugs with my kids some day.
Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 06:11 AM   #2
YakDout
Brandon

The only reason a smaller fish might be better than a larger one is mercury content. Ive eaten grouper over 100lbs that were great. Some will say the smaller ones are better, but its because they think they actually have a chance to catch the same fish in their lifetime. Take what you can eat reasonably, and fish the rest of the day for FUN, until your arms fall off
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 06:27 AM   #3
Saba Slayer

bugs

The reason most folks say that a big lobster cooks up tough is because when cooking a whole big tail, one of two things happens...either you under-cook the middle by trying not to over cook the out-side edge or you over-cook the outside by trying to get the middle of the tail cooked...that's why I use the bigger tails for stir-fry or pasta dishes and cut it up to cook it evenly.

Last edited by Saba Slayer; 10-21-2016 at 06:32 AM.
Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 06:29 AM   #4
PapaDave

Well, I'm glad I don't have to worry about it....
Old 10-21-2016, 08:40 AM   #5
Ggiannig89

Good info guys. I think there's a lot of misinformation thrown around out there.
I haven't got out hooping this year. Rats chewed holes into a few of my hoops and I've been to lazy to doze them.
Ggiannig89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 02:42 PM   #6
SoCalCJ

The big one's taste just fine. I've only harvested one really big one....... and only because he crawled in my hoop the night before Thanksgiving!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0024.jpg (51.5 KB, 142 views)
SoCalCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 04:03 PM   #7
taggermike

Nothing wrong with letting the big ones go but that they are not good eating is BS. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 07:41 PM   #8
Harry Hill

I thought I read that after they get to a certain size they are no longer good breeders either. Not that I have done any hooping yet but I read a lot of stuff and seem to remember reading that the really big ones are past their prime and it isn't necessary to release them unless it just makes you feel good to let something go that has survived so many years.
Old 10-22-2016, 06:15 AM   #9
Saba Slayer

What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Hill View Post
I thought I read that after they get to a certain size they are no longer good breeders either. Not that I have done any hooping yet but I read a lot of stuff and seem to remember reading that the really big ones are past their prime and it isn't necessary to release them unless it just makes you feel good to let something go that has survived so many years.
Where did you read that?
Lobsters produce eggs exponentially to their size...so a really big female produces 10x times as many eggs as a bug that is half as small.
Large lobsters can only mate with another large lobster...anything smaller and they may eat the smaller bug.
During the Lobster FMP meetings with DFW we talked about a slot limit as some other states do (releasing the small and big bugs and just keeping a medium size). But the DFW biologists didn't think it was an efficient way to go with regulating the resource.

Saba Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 06:43 AM   #10
Harry Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
Where did you read that?
Lobsters produce eggs exponentially to their size...so a really big female produces 10x times as many eggs as a bug that is half as small.
Large lobsters can only mate with another large lobster...anything smaller and they may eat the smaller bug.
During the Lobster FMP meetings with DFW we talked about a slot limit as some other states do (releasing the small and big bugs and just keeping a medium size). But the DFW biologists didn't think it was an efficient way to go with regulating the resource.
Jim, I can't remember right now where I read it but if I come across it again I will share it with you. It seems there are always conflicting opinions around about everything. I don't know enough about lobsters to say one way or the other.