Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 09-20-2015, 11:52 AM   #41
Gr8fuldude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
Bob, I guess me and Gr8fuldude can share a night. If I (we) catch fish, then I (we) can donate, if not I am ok to pay. I rather not bring meat or other perishable items. That way I don't worry about anybody getting sick on my (our) night.

Providing of course Gr8fuldude agrees with the above.
Sounds good, Hashem, let's share a night of dinner at the restaurant. I doubt it will be a problem to have enough fish to eat
Gr8fuldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 12:23 PM   #42
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
Fish it is!!!!!! Corvina are great eating and should be easy enough to catch from the beaches in the evenings.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 02:05 PM   #43
buddha

Quote:
Originally Posted by makobob View Post
Jeff, I usually keep on hand a few cans of tuna, sardines, and anchovies in assorted sauces for your fine dining pleasure. Bon apatite amigo.
I meant I can eat fresh fish everyday
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 02:25 PM   #44
Mahigeer

Thanks for the reply.

So I take it by next year you will have power at your place?

What is next?

A cappuccino machine? A wine cooler?

Last edited by Mahigeer; 09-21-2015 at 11:48 AM.
Mahigeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 03:01 PM   #45
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Just arrived, 5 each 100W solar panels, 30 W solar controller and a 2500 W inverter which should let me run a few lights, a freezer, some power tools on ac and still have 12v dc battery power. Still need to get 4 each 12v deep cycle batteries and wiring for system and find someone to help install it. So yes next year will be much easier.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN

Last edited by makobob; 09-20-2015 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-20-2015, 03:52 PM   #46
Mahigeer

Sounds good.

We will discuss it on the way down.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:50 AM   #47
MrPukaShell

Bob,

We will be doing Carne Asada Tacos along with some fish
MrPukaShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 12:07 PM   #48
Mahigeer

Quote:
We saw, Yellows, Cabrilla, needle fish, Corvina, Bass, Triggers, Grunts, Sierra and others.
What are the recommended rig/bait or lure for the above fish? I have an idea on some, but not for all.

Bass---swim bait, Salas 6X jr. in scrambled egg color, Krocodile.
Cabrilla---
Corvina---
Grunts---
Roosterfish---I heard the Hopkins lure is good.
Sierra---
Triggerfish---
Needle fish--- lures
Yellows---Same as bass
I have caught bass, barracuda, bonito, yellowtail and black skipjack on Salas 6X jr. in scrambled egg color.

Perhaps anglers who have been there, would not mind sharing their experience.

Thanks.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:19 PM   #49
FlyFishinYakr

Location: Nor Cal...30 min from Bodega/Tomales Bay, 1hr from Clear Lake, 2+ hr to Berryessa & the Delta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
What are the recommended rig/bait or lure for the above fish? I have an idea on some, but not for all.

Bass---swim bait, Salas 6X jr. in scrambled egg color, Krocodile.
Cabrilla---
Corvina---
Grunts---
Roosterfish---I heard the Hopkins lure is good.
Sierra---
Triggerfish---
Needle fish--- lures
Yellows---Same as bass
I have caught bass, barracuda, bonito, yellowtail and black skipjack on Salas 6X jr. in scrambled egg color.

Perhaps anglers who have been there, would not mind sharing their experience.

Thanks.
I'm not trying to be a smart arse but check the archives for fish reports from Gonzaga. There are plenty which report on the various jigs/lures that worked at that time.
The short version is (from what I've read/remember), pretty much anything bright and shiny. That being said also bring the wire to save your stuff. I've read too many reports of lost jigs/lures due to the sharp teeth of the Sierra's.
The one constant I've read about (I'm sure Bob and everyone else that has been there and posted a report can verify) is Crocodiles. I've been stocking up on the 1oz'ers ever since. I wouldn't be surprised if Hopkins Jigs are also another effective Jig.
FFY
FlyFishinYakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 01:22 PM   #50
makobob
Baitless on Baja

In Baja if it wiggles, moves, flashes, sinks it will get bit. I make home made spoons out of used silverware bought from GOODWILL for 25 cents each, Forks, spoons, knives all work. Been known to take over 100 fish per day. As to your list they all work. I find the Krock or a knock off of them to catch everything on your list....................Fish what YOU are comfortable with and you will catch fish. For trolling I like something I can troll at kayak speeds at 15-25 feet deep. For me when trolling most bites come within 100 feet from shore and without a very tight drag AND lot's of luck I get rocked!!!!! So there goes another $20 bucks. I usually cast and retrieve krocks and spoons and settle for fish under 10 lbs. After you get into the swing of things WATCH what the others are doing and how they are doing it, change it up and find what works BEST for you.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 09-21-2015, 03:32 PM   #51
Mahigeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFishinYakr View Post
I'm not trying to be a smart arse but check the archives for fish reports from Gonzaga. There are plenty which report on the various jigs/lures that worked at that time.
The short version is (from what I've read/remember), pretty much anything bright and shiny. That being said also bring the wire to save your stuff. I've read too many reports of lost jigs/lures due to the sharp teeth of the Sierra's.
The one constant I've read about (I'm sure Bob and everyone else that has been there and posted a report can verify) is Crocodiles. I've been stocking up on the 1oz'ers ever since. I wouldn't be surprised if Hopkins Jigs are also another effective Jig.
FFY

I had checked the past reports that comes up on "Search", and I just did it again.
They are mostly about the trip and not much tackle talk.

I agree that Krocodile is very versatile. But I wanted to know what else is considered good.

I will definitely try “spoons” and forks and knives. I saw a video on YouTube and want to experiment with them.

Here is my version of kitchen utensils as lure. It is called a Church Key!
The first catch was a midsize mackerel.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:45 PM   #52
makobob
Baitless on Baja

I used one in VIETNAM and caught a fish that looked, tasted and reacted like a WSB. Way back in 1972. Fishing tackle was hard to get there. Luckily I took two rods and reels with me, had to wait over a month to get fishing line there after I got spooled.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 09-21-2015, 03:53 PM   #53
MrPukaShell

Hey Bob,
Can we switch our date for dinner to the 18th? I would like to have the meat cooked prior to leaving so all we will have to do is heat and serve. Also what time does the restaurant open. I would like to have a few lunches or breakfast while I am there if available. As for the Panga the 20th and 22nd would work for me and break up the kayak fishing. If anyone wants to join let me know.
MrPukaShell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 04:16 PM   #54
makobob
Baitless on Baja

No problem, dinner nights switched. Open around 7am closes after dark, but we can let them know when we want to eat. I will let the skipper know the 20th and the 22nd. Tight lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPukaShell View Post
Hey Bob,
Can we switch our date for dinner to the 18th? I would like to have the meat cooked prior to leaving so all we will have to do is heat and serve. Also what time does the restaurant open. I would like to have a few lunches or breakfast while I am there if available. As for the Panga the 20th and 22nd would work for me and break up the kayak fishing. If anyone wants to join let me know.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 09-21-2015, 05:07 PM   #55
makobob
Baitless on Baja

OEX allowed me to do this sticky for the current trip coming up. We can post to keep it current. It will keep info easier to find.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 09-21-2015, 07:09 PM   #56
Dannowar

hey Bob!

myself and a few friends will be camping at the palapas from oct. 11-14

please let us know if theres anything in terms of supplies i can give you a hand with!
Old 09-21-2015, 07:20 PM   #57
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Thanks for the info, have a great trip and leave some fish for us. I'll let you know if we need anything. Thanks Danny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dannowar View Post
hey Bob!

myself and a few friends will be camping at the palapas from oct. 11-14

please let us know if theres anything in terms of supplies i can give you a hand with!

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
Old 09-21-2015, 08:09 PM   #58
Gr8fuldude

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPukaShell View Post
Hey Bob,
I'm in for at least one day of Panga fishing.

Is anyone else in for camping out at the island? Either having the panga tow kayaks out, or just paddling/pedaling out with the camping gear? Could be an awesome adventure.
Gr8fuldude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:29 PM   #59
buddha

FMM information.

http://www.discoverbaja.com/go/fmm-tourist-permits/

I am going to talk with Monstahfish and see if he wants to get the FMM before the trip or at Mexicali the day of the trip.
buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:29 AM   #60
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Looks like Mr Pukashell and Gr8fuldude are up for fishing from the panga or spending the night on the island? Any one else interested?? I know 3 grouper were caught from a panga there in the last couple weeks, big one was 200 pounds. But caught on a handline, no other way to stop them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8fuldude View Post
I'm in for at least one day of Panga fishing.

Is anyone else in for camping out at the island? Either having the panga tow kayaks out, or just paddling/pedaling out with the camping gear? Could be an awesome adventure.

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN