Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2010, 06:59 PM   #1
batty1of3

Fishfinder woes

I have a tournament 4300 but it was acting kind of funny last time i took it out like it was only half booting up showed some lines on the screen then after a few tries it came up next time i tried to take it out it woudl not power on at all the time it started acting up i took some pretty heavy waves over the bow so mebbe it got seawater inside
charged up my battery overnight bait tank works so there is power but still no power on the ff. What i wanted to check is there anywhere that might service those or i could take it to get checked ? its kind of old but i dont have alot of extra money lying around to get a new one :P

so i'll be fishing blind tomorrow in la jolla that should be an adventure

another question do any of you guys not use fish finders?
batty1of3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 08:44 PM   #2
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Before you give up, check the power cables. My H-Bird would not power up today but the voltage reading from the pins on the power cable showed that everything was OK. I cleaned the contacts of all the connectors in line and all of a sudden the thing worked.

My guess is that the unit was getting the correct voltage but the corroded connections restricted the current to the point that the device would not work.

I do not understand electrical stuff very well so if someone wants to correct my theory, please jump in. All I know is that my FF started to work after I cleaned the connectors.

That said, when I tested the thing in my pool, the unit told me that the depth was 35 feet. My FF has been flaky for a while. Time to get a new one. This thing is a six month old H-Bird Matrix 12. It is under warranty so I can get a replacement but dismantling everything is a real pain in the backside.

I plan to hit the water Friday or Saturday. Looks like I will be fishing blind along with you. Hopefully the fish do not know that we are handicapped.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:38 AM   #3
Holy Mackerel
Señor member

Check your fuse, and fuse housing, they could have corrosion, or your connectors to your battery.
Holy Mackerel is offline   Reply With Quote