Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 12-18-2005, 02:50 PM   #1
madscientist

12/18 AM

Woke up late because I fell asleep last night without setting the alarm. Launched around 7:00am into a mild offshore and no surf. Paddled through the bird convention...

and almost made the reserve when my electronics crap out. My bus box had taken on some water and all of my anodes are iffy. Managed to get it halfway working, but the GPS was down. Nothing like on the water electrical repairs to start the day.

Charlie donated a couple squirts (Thanks, bud) and I managed a couple as I drifted those among the vastly reduced fleet. Wind picked up, then PICKED UP. Hit 15-20 I think for a while and we all pointed home. Half pussied out (or went to watch the game :shock, half toughed it out and, sure enough, it blew itself out and returned to LJ glass by 10:00. Seemed like Poseidon was throwing a little tantrum after we killed so many fish this week.

Nothing happening in the "spot" so I went closer to the kelp to bounce for buts. Bait wasn't down more than a moment before the rod zings. Set the hook and start to think of all the beautiful flatness that could be on the end of my line.

Soft drag, really methodical, perfect technique, then I see this...

Oh yeah, that's right, I catch a lot of sharks. Soupfin, I presume. Got a few more pics...

...before the bastard rolled up all my leader and a bunch of spectra before slicing it off with his tail. I'm coming to hate these things.

Dead calm so I figured to rock it a bit before heading north. Nothing but short sand bass, starries, and wormaccio in the canyon edge. NW buoy was packed with greenies, couldn't keep them off the rockfish bait or heavy iron. Bounced to the pier for nada, then headed home. Bitchin rip currents along the shores, lifeguards pulled one guy out. Guess it will be an early morning run tomorrow and maybe a full day Tues before the big swell comes, and even then if the launch is doable I may give it a go.
madscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 05:08 PM   #2
DESTROYER

Debating about tomarrow! I'm thinking that the fish still have to be hanging around and that the pressure got to them and sent them elsewhere. I may see you in the morning depending on what time I get to sleep....I have a lot of Christmahkah crap to take care of....That right, my wife is Jewish but loves Christmas . It's like having a kid since this will only be her 5th Christmas....If I make it see you there, if not, GOOD LUCK!

TL-Matt
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 06:12 PM   #3
Iceman
Administrator

Com'on Matt, ya candyass :lol: I am riggin up for soups
Iceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 09:11 PM   #4
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Nice pics.
Thinking of heading out Tues, hopefully less pressure on the fishies.
Figure by then they will be more susceptible to the iron...I hope.
Can't wait til Big Wednesday.

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2005, 07:35 AM   #5
Lit-up1

LJ Sunday

Basicfally the same story for me-minus the shark-
I chased that bird pile south to Wind and Sea area and there was quite a
bit of bait under them, but I never found anything else-
I managed a 32 inch Lingasaurus- :roll: released- and a nice Calico off the
rocks near Boomers underneath some body surfers at the point---