Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports

Old 07-31-2018, 10:50 PM   #1
Apex Predator
pushpt.com

Saturday 7/28 Morning after Blood Moon...More like Bloody Kayak

To tell you the truth I haven't had the best luck fishing the morning after a grunion run, and I never have fished just after a blood moon so I had no idea the way the fish were going to be biting last Saturday. I was hopeful however that things were about to heat up and I wanted to be there when It did.

I was out early and almost immediately started seeing huge bait balls on the FF, so I dropped the sabiki rig out and was only getting grunion, not the usual assorted mackerel. I wanted to hang out to see If I could get some better bait but decided to get into some deeper waters so I would be ready when the bite began. As I was heading out there I was using the flat falls and it seemed every cast produced medium-large size green back mackerel, so I fly lined the smallest one I could find, but it still took a 4/0 Circle Hook for the size of bait I was finding.

I looked off shore and saw a mess of birds like I haven't seen in some time, working about 3/4 of a Mile out, just West of the Bend, so I put the pedal to the roto-molded plastic of my Revo 13 and before I even made It to the birds zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. He went for a long run before letting up, took out 3/4 of my line and then after that slowly started to wear himself out.

I will remember this one for a log time. Thanks to my new friend : Summers in Kuwait" for the pics, he also got the fish of the day on Saturday, a monster WSB, maybe fish of the month.
Attached Images

Apex Predator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:55 AM   #2
jlabs63

Nice . I didn't know it was a grunion run, but that blood moon has been keeping me awake all week.
jlabs63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:52 AM   #3
dpricenator

Thanks for the report!

Awesome when a plan comes together.
dpricenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:38 PM   #4
summers in kuwait

Pleasure meeting you and sharing in your stoke Mike!
Great writeup and nice yellowtail.

PS
That grill situation looks amazing!!

summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 07:40 AM   #5
ore714

Awesome FISH! Way to go with grillin too!

Nice fish bud...I am glad to see some people caught some fish this last weekend. I am going to try my luck tomorrow morning at 4AM!
ore714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 10:56 AM   #6
smokie

Nice fish!!
smokie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 04:39 PM   #7
FISH11

Congrats nice Yellow. Got one today and released it, it was about the same size as yours. Unfortunately after fighting it a long time to get him out of the heavy kelp in 55 feet. As I had him along side the kayak and pulling off tons of kelp, I pulled on the leader to try and get him out of the pile and the leader broke close to my jig and he not only beat me to the release, he took my Shimano flat fall jig with him. DAMMMMMMM!
Old 08-03-2018, 12:38 PM   #8
Apex Predator
pushpt.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by summers in kuwait View Post
That grill situation looks amazing!!

Thanks, its my buddy's Traeger Smoker, Its the best thing to happen to fish since soy sauce!

Last edited by Apex Predator; 08-03-2018 at 12:40 PM. Reason: spelling
Apex Predator is offline   Reply With Quote