Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Tournaments > West Coast Whoppers - Archive > West Coast Whoppers 2011

Old 04-30-2011, 10:56 PM   #1
THE DARKHORSE

April Sub

But, I couldn't resist. The original idea was to just throw my donation into the pot---then, Deepdvr started talkin' smack about kicking my a$$!

The temptation was just too great. I guess I do still have a little competitor inside; just like all of you. Anyway, after entering late and a full schedule the past couple of weeks---I blew it in more ways than one. I had a couple of shots, but wasn't too concerned at the time, with a week left to catch a monster White Sea Bass.

Then, you might have noticed, the surf was a mess and the conditions completely changed. The ocean rolled and that was that.

So, with no further ado', here's my measly Yellowtail to submit for April.

And my tape shot.

Apparently, the Starvin' Marvin of the school; a skinny 39" fish that weighed 24 lbs. Arm-breaking fight on the surface-iron, though.

After the conditions rolled---I changed gears. I haven't fished for Halibut in a very long time. After fishing them for around a about four hours---I remembered why. Without some patience in a can, I don't know how you guys do it all the time.

I love holding the rod when you get that one, solid thump, though. I'm not sure if it was because I entered this silly tournament or the fact that I haven't fished for Halibut in so long---but, I was excited to see her at color.

The tape shot.

A fat and healthy specimen measuring 38" and weighing 23 lbs on the nose. I'm guessing the poor fish gorged herself silly all last year, too. Not the slam I was expecting, but I'll take it.

Who's next?
Old 05-01-2011, 07:12 AM   #2
wade

YEAAAAAAAAAAA JOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 07:38 AM   #3
Regor
Greg

Nice double submittal!

I have a feeling there may be some hat tricks submitted this summer, but of course I plan on being one of them!
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 08:29 AM   #4
steveooo

Quality stuff
Your hali is so fat it looks like it has cellulite
steveooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 09:26 AM   #5
theluckypig

theluckypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:03 PM   #6
THE DARKHORSE

May Submissions...

Instead of opening up a new WCW submission thread each month, I'll just continue my original WCW thread here.

So here's my nuts and bolts photo requirements for my monthly submission--- without the novella!

A healthy Yellowtail to start the month of off. They don't get much prettier. Ain't she a 'beaut, Carl?

The tape shot...

Yellowtail caught on bait; 38" at the fork, but very solid from head to tail weighing 23 lbs.

I kind of underestimated the size of this fish at first, but her size was obvious when I did this and almost went for a swim. Who needs the gym?

A 55" blimp of a fish weighing 56 lbs 13 oz---caught on bait.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:48 PM   #7
sharonkayak

you just had to beat my wsb out by one pound....

im am curious why you didnt land a halibut this month.

way to go looks like you caught them both in one day!

inspiring!!!

I think we should just pay you off now and let someone else stand a chance at 1st place!!!
sharonkayak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:19 PM   #8
THE DARKHORSE

The Slam...

Here's the Halibut I was looking for...notice the gaff shot in the upper left shoulder.

And here's her bigger sister...in my right hand! The only thing better than one woman is two, right?

This photo is a little deceiving as it makes the fish look shorter than she is (39 7/8"). Going 25 lbs and change.

This was pretty good day. I landed this Yellowtail on my first cast with the surface-iron and never trolled a bait (27 lbs and change). A full on arm-breaker on the Ulua, too! (5 point artificial bonus!)

Good luck to all in the month of June.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:29 PM   #9
RK

You just ruined fishing for me.....

GOD DAMN!!!!!!!!!!! ABRA CADABRA FOR F*Cks sake

And can you cut that coupon under the yellows tail for the hair restoration therapy for me... Looks like a good deal.
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:19 PM   #10
Billy V

"The only way to find the limits of the possible is by going beyond them to the impossible." - Arthur C. Clarke
-------------------------
double slam anyone ?
Old 05-31-2011, 09:30 PM   #11
deepdvr

You're a mean one, Mr.

deepdvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:38 AM   #12
theluckypig

theluckypig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 10:30 AM   #13
lterrero
Leo

Hey Josh, where's is the pic Woman & Catch of D day; you know what I'm talking!!! Venezuelan style..?
lterrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:20 AM   #14
sdfisher

I like the "your time is running out" ad.

nicely done on the slam mr. Pruit

I wasn't even able to fish the month of may
sdfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:33 AM   #15
wade

when we going for halibut josh!!!! call me!!!!

Old 06-01-2011, 11:44 AM   #16
wade

keep puttin everyone in their rightful place!
UNDER YOU!

Dont fuck with the Jesus ..........

or The Josh!!!!!!

Old 06-01-2011, 04:41 PM   #17
roadx

Congratulations Josh on the slam! Dam those are a nice pair of wet socks!!!! you have me eating my words , you are a halibut catching fool so... how did you get back from Alaska so fast?

helluva month for the conditions
Old 06-30-2011, 02:56 PM   #18
THE DARKHORSE

What a month...June submissions!

It started off with a bang---minus the crowd. Then kept banging away with a crowd in tow; while I caught up on much needed sleep.

I'm sure many anglers pulled on fish until their arms were sore, too. I'm just thankful that a couple tankers gave the ultimate sacrifice in the first few days of the month. It was kind of nice knowing that I could release every Yellowtail and White Sea Bass for the rest of the month. Which is exactly what I did after these first two fish were caught.

My White Sea Bass was 59"; if you haven't caught too many just yet---that's a doozy. She could have easily weighed sixty pounds plus, but was apparently half Serpent. Weighing a very lean 52 lbs and change. I caught a few in the same range, over fifty for sure, but made a decision to only harvest another ghost if she was over sixty. This fish saved the lives of many.

The same for my first Yellowtail of the month. She paid the ultimate price, yet, at the same time saved the lives of many. Instead of inching my way through upgrade after upgrade, the pressure was off after this fish hit the deck. She was 42" at the fork and came just shy of 32 lbs. By 2011 WCW rules she'll stand at 31 lbs. Who says fish pictures never do a fish justice?

All Yellowtail were released the rest of the month.

Here's the same Yellowtail with someone to share the ice-bath with. Then the ice-chest got straight up cozy!

It's always nice saving a little coin on buying ice. It gets expensive!

I will say, getting the slam out of the way in the first few days of the month was nice. Every day on the water after that was relaxing and fun, regardless of the outcome. The heckling on the water this month (between WCW warriors) was nothing short of spectacular, too.

One day I convinced a client to leave the Yellowtail and White Sea Bass on the squid grounds. It's not as easy as it sounds, trust me. We timed the tides perfectly and I managed to drop a bait on this Halibut's head. Right where I left her, number 105 on my G.P.S.

The truth is, I almost blew a gasket before landing this one. My partner for the day, dropped a bait on this number first---then told me he was hung on the bottom---as I'm watching his rod tip bounce like a trampoline! There was screaming 'a plenty going on. A full on drill-sergeant moment ensued. I knew exactly what was coming to the surface and got a lump in my throat at color. The thoughts of, "that's my fish" ran through my mind over and over. It was painful I tell you. After I landed this one I was truly happy for him, though.

Here's the nuts and bolts to make my submissions official.

Fish-eye photos are deceptive with tape shots. This fish is 59", weighing 52 lbs and change.

42.5" Halibut weighing 28 lbs.

42" at the fork, weighing 31 lbs and change.

Then came South swell after south swell! Enough waves to make even the grumpiest old salt feel like a kid again. If you know where to look and when, you scored! Strangely enough, uncrowded La Jolla reefs were abundant to those willing to hunt the tide windows; waves a' plenty and sore arms 'ta boot. I pulled quite a few three and four hour sessions and slept like a baby. No complaints from the Grinch this month---all's good in the hood, yo!

Good luck to all in the month of July!
Old 07-01-2011, 09:00 AM   #19
RK

I really want to meet that YT....
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 04:07 PM   #20
THE DARKHORSE

July submissions...

The nuts and bolts:

A healthy specimen coming in just shy of 32 lbs. 31 lbs 11 0z's to be exact.
Fisheye tape shots again this month! 42" at the fork. 31 lbs according to this years rules.

Just a couple of pounds out of the Trout category! 31 lbs 12 oz's

Hungry little thing at 45 inches, but tasty as can be!

And a little fish...worth a crap load of points! This Halibut was 34 inches and fat as can be. 15 lbs and change.

Good luck to everyone in the month of August.