Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion

Old 06-06-2016, 10:04 PM   #1
FISH11

New ride ready

Got the new "Dark Side Yak" rigged yesterday and took it out to LJ today for the shake down cruise. Hobie Revo 13. Everything worked perfect, just had to adjust the line for the steering when I got home because it had developed some play and made the steering very vague. All the new gear and attachments worked just as I wanted them to. The new Lowrance Elite 5TI worked awesome and I'm glad they didn't have the Elite 7TI in stock because I think on this boat it would have been too large and a bit in the way. The touch screen is sweet. The only thing I wish I had already installed were the turbo fins, I sure could have used the extra speed. They will be installed before the Islander 2.5 day San Clemente trip on Friday. It was just as stable out in LJ even after the winds kicked up, with all the gear and attachments, then it was in Mission Bay were I tested it out at OEX last Saturday with just the plain hull. Can't wait to catch some large quality fish on it. Thank You , Grant at OEX Mission Beach.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160606_150413_001.jpg (45.1 KB, 263 views)
File Type: jpg 20160606_150502.jpg (74.5 KB, 253 views)

Last edited by FISH11; 06-06-2016 at 10:22 PM.
FISH11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:45 PM   #2
CR Yaker

Congratulations, looks nice. If I was going to have only one Hobie for everything, especially surf, it would be the Revo 13.
How did you feel in the vantage chair?
I just picked up an Elite-7 TI, was thinking of picking up another for backup and the Revo 11, was pondering a 5" (Which ducer you using?). But,really, it's not a whole lot bigger than the 5", all your adding is that 2 inches to size which can make a big difference in viewing split screen. But, hey, fish finders don't catch fish.
Enjoy,

Mark

Last edited by CR Yaker; 06-06-2016 at 11:01 PM.
CR Yaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:01 AM   #3
Dave Legacy

That sure is a cool ride!
Dave Legacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 06:06 AM   #4
ctfphoto

Where is the kitchen sink?
ctfphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:09 AM   #5
da22y

Elite 5TI

Like to know how you set up your transducer,
The Elite 5TI has a HUGE transducer.

Last edited by da22y; 06-07-2016 at 07:57 AM.
da22y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:29 AM   #6
hobieuser

She's beauty. Congrats
hobieuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:20 AM   #7
FISH11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctfphoto View Post
Where is the kitchen sink?
Hi Chris, the sink is still at home. Yes, I took everything I would ever want to take so I could see how it handled it since the capacity rating is only 350 lbs, that is 100 lb less then my other kayaks. It was very stable, even when reaching all the way to the back while seating on the seat. I don't alway carry that many things, but I have learned how to better locate items. The only thing I wish I had been able to try out was the fish bag. I sure wanted to see how it would carry 1 or 2 30 lb Yellows. Maybe next trip. Ha Ha Ha

Last edited by FISH11; 06-07-2016 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:28 AM   #8
FISH11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CR Yaker View Post
Congratulations, looks nice. If I was going to have only one Hobie for everything, especially surf, it would be the Revo 13.
I just picked up an Elite-7 TI, was thinking of picking up another for backup and the Revo 11, was pondering a 5" (Which ducer you using?). But,really, it's not a whole lot bigger than the 5", all your adding is that 2 inches to size which can make a big difference in viewing split screen. But, hey, fish finders don't catch fish.
Enjoy,
Yeah I would have liked the 7" model, but they would have needed to order it and I wanted it that day so I could finish all the installs. The only thing I see is if you used the Ram fish finder mount that is Lawrance Elite ready, which I used, the clamp section isn't as long as I would prefer in order to get the head a little further out of the way of the leg movement while pedaling. On other wider kayaks it would not be a problem. One can just get used to it being there, because it is only 1" wider on either side. Good luck on your set ups. Yeah, I found it to be an awesome kayak.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:37 AM   #9
FISH11

Quote:
Originally Posted by da22y View Post
Like to know how you set up your transducer,
The Elite 5TI has a HUGE transducer.
The basic Elite 5TI unit comes with the smaller transom mount transducer. I had to go back and drive to a different store and exchange the first unit I got was the one that had the total structure transducer and it is huge. The store manager at west marine goes, just screw is on to the bottom of your kayak. I go not likely, some time it gets dragged over things and that would not be good for that transducer. He had tried to hook me up with the smaller transducer that would have been covered by the rebate, but after getting home and trying to install the transducer I found the connector was not the same and din't work. So I took it back, tried to just get the basic 7" but no store had one in stock, so I drove the get the only 5" any West Marine in the area had in stock. The smaller transducer is called "Down Scan" .

Last edited by FISH11; 06-07-2016 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:29 AM   #10
batfish
Junior

That's a sweet looking ride.
batfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:28 PM   #11
CR Yaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISH11 View Post
The basic Elite 5TI unit comes with the smaller transom mount transducer. I had to go back and drive to a different store and exchange the first unit I got was the one that had the total structure transducer and it is huge. The store manager at west marine goes, just screw is on to the bottom of your kayak. I go not likely, some time it gets dragged over things and that would not be good for that transducer. He had tried to hook me up with the smaller transducer that would have been covered by the rebate, but after getting home and trying to install the transducer I found the connector was not the same and din't work. So I took it back, tried to just get the basic 7" but no store had one in stock, so I drove the get the only 5" any West Marine in the area had in stock. The smaller transducer is called "Down Scan" .
Hope you got some money back, because that totalscan transducer goes for $300 solo. I don't understand why they didn't have the 9 pin Black HDI 83/200 ducer in stock. That's what you want, if your not going to use the totalscan. Otherwise you need an adapter chord for the 7" blue connector, runs about $50 just for that adapter. Some Hobies are hooking up the totalscan transducer. Since your lowrance ready, here is how they are doing it. Soon they will release the 50/200 HDI black 9pin ducer. I'm going to do a scupper mount with the totalscan on the TI. The totalscan transducer is what you want for the Elite Ti's

http://www.saltwaterkayakfisherman.c...ll-in-one.html

and the scupper, although I will use PVC.
http://www.theplastichull.net/2016/0...kayak-install/

Mark

Last edited by CR Yaker; 06-07-2016 at 12:36 PM.
CR Yaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 02:42 PM   #12
PapaDave

Quote:
Enjoy,
My experience with the 7" models, they are bulky and not really necessary, put my Elite 7 Chirp on my boat and got a Elite 5 Chirp for the yak. Much nicer.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:13 PM   #13
da22y

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaDave View Post
My experience with the 7" models, they are bulky and not really necessary, put my Elite 7 Chirp on my boat and got a Elite 5 Chirp for the yak. Much nicer.
Thank you for clear out my temptation to upgrade to 7"...
5" is just fine ...
da22y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 08:32 PM   #14
FISH11

On
Quote:
Hope you got some money back, because that totalscan transducer goes for $300 solo. I don't understand why they didn't have the 9 pin Black HDI 83/200 ducer in stock. That's what you want, if your not going to use the totalscan. Otherwise you need an adapter chord for the 7" blue connector, runs about $50 just for that adapter. Some Hobies are hooking up the totalscan transducer. Since your lowrance ready, here is how they are doing it. Soon they will release the 50/200 HDI black 9pin ducer. I'm going to do a scupper mount with the totalscan on the TI. The totalscan transducer is what you want for the Elite Ti's

http://www.saltwaterkayakfisherman.c...ll-in-one.html

and the scupper, although I will use PVC.
http://www.theplastichull.net/2016/0...kayak-install/
Thanks for those links, I sure had thought about it but was more concerned about battery life than mounting option. I like the idea of the leading edge protector. It is definitely a large transducer. The store manager told me it is super on lakes for a very detailed view, but since I don't fish much in lakes I wasn't sure how much benefit it would be to me. At first the thought to keep it and use it on a boat when I get one. When I got the downscan version the savings was $200. I think, I might take this one back and get the downscan 7" in the next couple of weeks. I'm not sure why he didn't find the downscan transducer that had the correct connector and the 83/200 and 455/800. That is the transducer that comes on the one I got. Having both transducer and being able to move the head between my kayak and a boat would have been great.

Last edited by FISH11; 06-08-2016 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:36 PM   #15
FISH11

Quote:
Originally Posted by da22y View Post
Thank you for clear out my temptation to upgrade to 7"...
5" is just fine ...
It not only has to do with money, but your age, eyesight and distance of mounting location on your kayak. Mount it farther away and age over 40, then you NEED the 7". HA Ha Ha, I know!