Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
Carlos Gonzalez

Cables and connectors from GPS and sonar with issues

Hello guys,

I am on Ensenada Mexico, I am working on a company who makes sonars, gps, radio, etc etc. In I am Mechanical Engineer and I taking care of XDCR's, cables and connectors.

I would like you to share what are the more frecuent issues with the cables, connectors and transducers. As engineer i would like to learn what to consider at the time to design a new product.

I also like the kayak fishing, at this point i don't have a kayak but i am working on it.

Thanks for sharing!!
Carlos Gonzalez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:31 PM   #2
GregAndrew

Designing connectors that are intended to be coupled and uncoupled on a frequent basis would be a good start. That means making the terminals durable, and the connecting part easy to attach/unattach.

Dealing with water and salt would be the next most important to me. Since we are only inches above the waterline, virtually everything gets wet on a regular basis. Most units are designed for boats and are only water resistant, not really waterproof. Not only does salt corrode any exposed metal, it makes many twist-lock connections very difficult to operate.

Specifically for kayaks, the connection from the wire to the connectors not only need to be strong, they also need to not be bulky. Since we are removing and reattaching them all the time, they must be able to handle it. We also do not attach to dashboards, and frequently need to make sharp turns of the wire close to the back of the head units.

Just a few thoughts, hope it helps.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:21 PM   #3
RK

Greg nailed it...........

Units with connections designed for our environment or at least more durable.

Or the same units with a five year WM extended warranty
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:45 AM   #4
dmrides

X3...what Greg said. Also, the transducer cable does not need to be 30 feet long. It would be cool to have a screen cover that rotated up to then act as a sunshade.
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:53 AM   #5
RedSledTeam
Daddeo

Talking

Ok, you asked... How about thinking about designing wireless tranducers, inductive power supply and voice commands? Totally eliminate the wire issue. Just thinking out loud. Any more ideas and I may have to ask you about ITAR restrictions.
RedSledTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:11 AM   #6
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSledTeam View Post
Any more ideas and I may have to ask you about ITAR restrictions.
ROTFLMFAO

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 12:42 PM   #7
Carlos Gonzalez

guys thank you very much for your responses.

Currently I am working on getting different technologies for our contacts, so cable will be improve in order to avoid corrosion but one think that i would recommend you is to clean your contacts from unit and transducers or power cable when you removed from the kayak, as you mentioned salt + voltage will cause corrosion, this helped me to avoid corrosion on my unit.

DMRIDES I like the idea about the sun cover, if you don't mind I would share your idea with the team.

As you saw mi name is carlos Gonzalez and I am Mechanical design engineer from Lowrance, I am not an expert on all this stuff but i would like to help you if you have questions regarding Connectors, cables and XDCR's, this also will help me to understand the problems we have on the field.

Cheers!

PS, be patience with my bad english.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #8
RK

Awesome that your on here to understand the issues regarding our electronics on the kayaks this is a great step in the right direction...
Welcome Carlos
RK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 01:35 PM   #9
GregAndrew

I have the HDS 5 by Lowrance, and have had a few minor issues dealing with salt build-up. Both the wire connectors and the cradle mounting screws can become difficult to unscrew after a long day of repeated splashing. I would suggest some sort of O-ring on the base of the connecting ports on the head unit. The O-ring would stay at the end of the coupler and below the attaching threads (so these threads stay clean). A rubber washer on the cradle screws (between the screw and the cradle) would still probably hold the unit firm enough, but also allow easier reversing.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 07:29 PM   #10
dmrides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlos Gonzalez View Post
DMRIDES I like the idea about the sun cover, if you don't mind I would share your idea with the team.
No problem, share away. Now if it's not too much to ask, can I get a lifetime supply if those fine Lowrance products? Haha, just kidding. But seriously...
dmrides is offline   Reply With Quote