Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2007, 09:38 AM   #1
goose

want to fish mexico this summer

This is my second season of kayak fishing in socal, and finally feel i have enough experience to venture out to diffrent places like MEXICO. I remember reading articles about doing this last year and thought it sounded cool. Just wanted some info on this trip I dont want to go unprepared. Any advice would be helpful Where to go, when to go, where to launch, how to get there, and what to target. Any info would be cool. thanks and tight lines to all.
goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:06 AM   #2
DBITE

Go to http://www.mexfish.com. They have links to writeups of various Mexican fishing destinations, some close and others far. I would suggest Puerto Santo Tomas for your first south of the border excursion.

Read the writeup on mexfish and do a search on this and other kayak forums. Pretty good bottom fishing all year and occasional spots of yellows in the warmer months. There is a protected launch and you can camp or stay in the houses and trailers that are rented out by the resort on the point. Check out this link for directions and camping/lodging info: http://www.puertosantotomas.com/index.htm. Being your first time doing this (actually, even if it were your 50th time), I would highly reccomend taking a buddy. The coast that wraps around PST is sparsly populated and getting in any trouble at sea is a whole different world than up here. The wind can come up quick and then you're screwed, so bring a VHF and stay close if you go alone. As for getting there, it is just a little south of Ensenada. You have to take a long dirt road and it's possible for sections to be washed out so make sure your car is up to it. Definitely a cool place to kayak fish. Try to experience it before the major development starts. It's almost pristine right now but that will all change in the next few years. Hope this helps. Good luck and post some pics when you get back.
DBITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 05:26 PM   #3
JPSURF

I too was thinking of hitting up mexico and you saved me from posting. So far that seems like great info.
JPSURF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 02:20 PM   #4
lamb

A ton of specific info from 2 guys who were hitting Baja hard for years launching in 14ft thincan (most places doable by yaks).

Specific info on spots, a lot of handy info... Lots of general fishing wisdom shared, very much applicable to our fishing grounds.

I really liked the book. Money well spent.