Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2010, 01:22 PM   #1
Geoffkoop

Transducers

Can you guys post pics (or link to a thread) of transducers mounted directly in the water off the side of the kayak etc.

I am trying to figure out the best way to do this and don't find much when I use the search.
Thanks
Geoffkoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:41 PM   #2
mrJB

Here's one:
http://kayakfishinggear.com/liberato...tincluded.aspx
mrJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:45 PM   #3
Geoffkoop

looks like a good one. Anyone do something like this with PVC out there?
Old 02-21-2010, 02:16 PM   #4
Mr GreenJeans

Rudder Mount

Mr GreenJeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 03:10 PM   #5
h2ofishfo

dude that post of the wet transducer by bob seems like the way to go that hobie rudder mount gives unneeded drag
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 03:38 PM   #6
Geoffkoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2ofishfo View Post
dude that post of the wet transducer by bob seems like the way to go that hobie rudder mount gives unneeded drag
Yeah I agree that Bobs creation seems best. I am now in the process of creating it!
I'm just getting sick of people saying "dude look at that bait ball under us"....when all I see is a blank or innaccurate screen.
Old 02-21-2010, 04:37 PM   #7
Mr GreenJeans

Extra Drag???

The drag seems like it should be about the same (to me, anyway). Both have a transducer in the water. On the rudder, it's mounted a little deeper, but I taped over the cable, so that should minimize any extra drag from the extra length. When the transducer is mounted on the apparatus up front, you have the mounting rod sticking down in the water, creating extra drag probably about equal to having a rudder. And since I already pull the rudder around anyway...

Besides, if you have a rudder it hardly makes sense to spend the extra bucks and mount the extra apparatus up front. Of course if you don't have a rudder, the choice becomes easier.

I think either should work well. To each their own.
Mr GreenJeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:02 AM   #8
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffkoop View Post
Yeah I agree that Bobs creation seems best. I am now in the process of creating it!
I'm just getting sick of people saying "dude look at that bait ball under us"....when all I see is a blank or inaccurate screen.
If you are planning to build a version of my wet mount design, see if you can find a piece of clear pipe to use instead of the ABS material that I used. My setup works fine but it would be nice to be able to visually check to make sure there is water in the well. I think using some sort of clear material would solve that issue.

One thought I had was to give some heavy duty Tupperware a try.

If you go that route, please post pics.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:13 AM   #9
peguinpower
bing!

I like that rudder concept.

Fabricating a new rudder to fit the transducer out of marine ply, sealed with fiberglass and epoxy should not be too much work. Hmmmmmmmmm.

/bing
peguinpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:24 PM   #10
h2ofishfo

Quote:
I'm just getting sick of people saying "dude look at that bait ball under us"....when all I see is a blank or innaccurate screen.
yeah just dont buy a cheap one saves time when trying to locate bait & makes it easier to see with a bigger screen i have the 787c2i gps hummingbird with the navionics card love it and never had problems
h2ofishfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 06:52 PM   #11
Gino

You think that Rudder mounted transducer really creates that much drag in a Hobie Adventure?
Gino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:37 PM   #12
SteveK
Junior

Guys the rudder mount is a BAD idea, the fish your are marking will be behind you, secondly your gonna pick up your paddle/pedal interferance.
You don't see it but I have a sideimaging unit and you won't beleive the interference you paddle/ pedal wake makes
Don't forget, 1 foot of water depth equals a 1 foot circle of coverage.
Your transducer should be under your butt or infront of you. never behind you.
Over the side like the Mad Frog mount allows is a good setup, the drag is near nothing.

I attach mine to a Ram ball, I can take it from kayak to kayak
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN1102.jpg (91.8 KB, 363 views)
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 07:41 PM   #13
Hypoxic1

Im setting up my lowrance hds 5 with the transducer placed inside a pelican box that has had the bottom side removed. We found that the box needed a slot cut in the top to allow for the transducer wire to run with no pressure. A hobie rudder post and cotter pin holds the transducer at the correct angle. fill with water, and presto.
Then when finished the transducer is removed from the box easily so no wires and waterproof connections need to be opened to completely remove the unit from the kayak.
this pelican box is clear so its easy to see the water.
Hypoxic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2010, 08:00 PM   #14
SteveK
Junior

Dosen't the HDS need to be external? like the Humminbird side imaging units
Old 02-22-2010, 09:37 PM   #15
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Can you guys post pics (or link to a thread) of transducers mounted directly in the water....
I started with the over the side but went to a in the hull set up.

No added drag, no rigging hassle, no leaks, and superior performance.

I didn't bother to shorten the transducer cable but tied it off.

I just connect the finder to the connection above and it's on.

it's just a standard transom mount transducer with depth and temp with an dual operating frequency of 200 and 50 kHz, since I never fsh over 300 feet I keep it set with a beam width of 15 degrees at 200 kHz, but even at that setting I can read fish at 500 feet.

Not for the faint of heart but it works for me.

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 05:19 AM   #16
SteveK
Junior

Jim, Very Cool, one of the best I've seen.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:39 AM   #17
Hunters Pa

I did mine Jim Day style and, yes it is NOT for the faint of heart but I can watch my swimbait all the way down in 90 ft
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 09:07 AM   #18
Geoffkoop

Pretty cool guys! I am in the process of creating the wet mount. Seems like it should work better than the goop method. I'll let you know how it works.
Old 02-23-2010, 01:19 PM   #19
Fiskadoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunters Pa View Post
I did mine Jim Day style and, yes it is NOT for the faint of heart but I can watch my swimbait all the way down in 90 ft
Have you had an issues at all?

I've had none.

One guy emailed me that he did it and had a few drops of water leak in but that was it. I can't imagine how that would happen. If it's done right (I saw your post and you did a great job, nicer then mine..LOL) I can't see how it could leak.

I tried goop and a wet mount inside the hull and I was always having to mess with it and the results were sub par in my opinion. Then again I have higher expectations because I'm used to installing them on boats.

The thing I like about it is it's trouble and hassle free and I never have to do anything or think about it. It works just as well as the transducer on my skiff, and requires no maintenance. One less thing I have to worry about...LOL

Jim
Fiskadoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:46 PM   #20
Hunters Pa

I have not had a drop! I think what was key was predrilling & not skimping on the 5200.

& thx for the compliment!
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote