Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2011, 08:53 PM   #1
lowprofile
#1 on fishstick's hitlist

Silverwood lake saturday

headed to silverwood lake sat. morning for stripers. they open at 7, so plan to be at the gate then. plan is topwaters in miller cove till they dive down then throw some irons and swimbaits, around 11ish start jigging then hit the aqueduct inlet and dam and jig while soaking for cats.

anyone think they might want to meet up? you take the 15N to 138E then just follow it for like 9 miles to the lake. just post up if you'll be there and what you have and ill keep an eye out.
lowprofile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 04:41 AM   #2
speedydk

Send a message via Yahoo to speedydk
I'm thinking about it. I know the wind can be killer there in the afternoons. anyone know about what time it starts blowing up there? If I make it I'll have the mango hobie revo or yellow x13.
Darren
speedydk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:31 AM   #3
danjor

I have been fishing at this lake probably 20 times the last 3 months and it seems to start blowing aroud 10:30 to 11:00 check the weather reports for wind predictions and be carfull over at the inlet area because the wind can pick up and it funnels threw the hills so it can get windy enought to be imposible to paddel back. I had to be towed back once. But good fishing use rainbow trout imatating lures and swimbaits. If it were me I would get there 30 min to a hour eairly because waiting for boat people to get inspected ahead of you in line can sometime take hours. Don't wait at the entry gate cause they can ticket you for waiting there. Pull off the highway 138 right before the offramp to the lake and wait in the dirt for the ranger to let everyone in.
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 02:48 PM   #4
lowprofile

do the kayaks need to be inspected?

and that was my plan, to get there about 20 mins early and wait off to the side or down the road a bit were i could see the gate. i ran cleghorn and took the trail over to silverwood the otherday and we stopped by the lake (after dark) and saw the signs that said no waiting at the gate.

we'll be in a blue X factor and Yellow OK malibu Two driving a Maroon FJ.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:41 PM   #5
YakMedic

Your kayaks will get a quick inspection by the lake staff, but don't wait in the vessel inspection lane use the day use lane and it is much faster. Otherwise you will wait in line behind 15 powerboats for an hour.

Silverwood is my home lake and have fished it too many times to count. The advice I can give you is if stripers are your target I would recommend launching and heading over towards the dam/inlet first. Since the winds can get wicked on that lake I will usually try to hit the dam first and begin my paddle back towards the marina around 10 then fish the coves since they are more sheltered. Also since last weekend was the official start of moron powerboater season its best to move out of that area of the lake before they start running in force trying to run you over with a PWC.

Silverwood is a tough fishery and still holds some giants (you just got to find em) but the bigguns usually get picked up by the inlet. Water temps been a little low but the striper bite can kick off at any minute.
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 03:52 PM   #6
lowprofile

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakMedic View Post
Your kayaks will get a quick inspection by the lake staff, but don't wait in the vessel inspection lane use the day use lane and it is much faster. Otherwise you will wait in line behind 15 powerboats for an hour.

Silverwood is my home lake and have fished it too many times to count. The advice I can give you is if stripers are your target I would recommend launching and heading over towards the dam/inlet first. Since the winds can get wicked on that lake I will usually try to hit the dam first and begin my paddle back towards the marina around 10 then fish the coves since they are more sheltered. Also since last weekend was the official start of moron powerboater season its best to move out of that area of the lake before they start running in force trying to run you over with a PWC.

Silverwood is a tough fishery and still holds some giants (you just got to find em) but the bigguns usually get picked up by the inlet. Water temps been a little low but the striper bite can kick off at any minute.
good to know. i think ill do that then. and also try to soak some sardines and anchovies. any advice on cats? its been awhile since i've fished out here. we used to pick them up by the dam on mackerel and cut bluegill.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:01 PM   #7
mrJB

Fished Silverwood yesterday (Thurs., 6/2) and had some limited action of a few decent trout and a few dink stripers. Did see a few guys with nice catfish. In many years of fishing the lake, it was the best weather I have ever seen - VERY slight wind until I left at 1:00. I've NEVER seen it so calm. To top it off, very few fishing and even less powerboating.

Yakmedic is correct on where to fish early and about the power boat crowd. Avoid the weekends, if at all possible.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P6020001.jpg (59.7 KB, 54 views)
Old 06-03-2011, 04:05 PM   #8
YakMedic

Catfish are usually cruising the areas that stripers can be. If your soaking an anchovie on the bottom or about 18" off the bottom you should get bit. From the marina's dock to the pumping station in millers cove look for ambush areas off the points and you will find them. I have other plans this weekend otherwise I would meet up with you, but I'll fish with you sometime.

Good luck
YakMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 05:33 PM   #9
lowprofile

thanks for the advice. i look forward to fishin with a bunch of people on here. seems like a chill crowd.