Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > General Kayak Fishing Discussion
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2013, 01:13 PM   #1
kauaiboy04

swooped!

stumbled upon this.

http://socalkayak.blogspot.com
kauaiboy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 02:01 PM   #2
flemdogg
Island Blood

Crazy.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
Dannowar

Checkmate.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:15 PM   #4
makobob
Baitless on Baja

Location: Vista California, Gonzaga, San Quintin, Asuncion, Mag Bay
You catch my fish, I catch yours!

Home 760-630-4470
Cell 760-520-2514

YES YOU CAN
makobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 03:48 PM   #5
JeffB

No "F'n" WAY! LMFAO
Old 10-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #6
Dail14

I don't care who is watching I would chase that seal down and demonstrate to the others what happens to those who steal my fish
Dail14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:18 PM   #7
ctrujillo

Angry

I don't think i would be smileing after that
ctrujillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 04:23 PM   #8
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

That's crazy, I don't think there's much you could do except smile
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:08 PM   #9
danjor

Wow, that's crazy
danjor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 06:53 PM   #10
StinkyMatt

That is funny shiiit. Unless it happens to you.

There is absolutely nothing you can do about it.

StinkyMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 08:32 PM   #11
driftwood

Even though this clip may seem amusing and entertaining, there is more of a serious and dangerous side to this for us kayakers. I did not plan to tell my story over the internet but this video changed my mind.

In July of the present year, Randy (Old Man in the Sea) and I decided to go fishing for yellow tail off La Jolla Shores. Once I arrived to “the spot”, Randy was still quite a distance from me but coming up behind me were 3-4 other kayakers, one whom I recognized as Kevin (The Kid), who all passed me by. It wasn’t much later that my reel takes off screaming, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I knew immediately what I had, yeah, Yellow Tail!! After a short fight he was onboard. I noticed that its tail was hanging over the kayak just by a little after I had secured him.

All of a sudden and within a flash, my yellow tail is grabbed by a 500lb sea lion. I played tug-of-war for less than a fraction of a second. Well needless to say a 500lb sea lion v a kayak has no chance and he easily flipped me over like a pancake. It happened so fast it seemed surreal, and it took a few seconds to grasp and act upon my predicament. I attempted to climb back onto my PA from the side but kept slipping off. I realized that the only way back on is to climb from the rear of the kayak. I succeeded in the first attempt. At this point, I am sitting on top of my upside down kayak and I begin to yell for help. I manage to flip the kayak over and about this time Kevin (The Kid) arrives and helps me to settle down after the shocking experience. Kevin removed most of the water that was in my kayak and I was able to peddle to shore safely.

Do not think this could never happen to you. Take my word for it. Sea lions can be bold and aggressive, yanking the fish off of a kayak and more. I still continue to use a clip, but I do not tie it to my boat anymore. I lost about $1k in equipment, a mix of rods and reels. But hey, these are replaceable.

I thought that in telling my story it might make others aware. Be safe!
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:21 PM   #12
Yak Loins
Junior

That Sea Lion story is friggin nuts dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What can you do when an animal that large decides to have a go at your fish??
Absolutely not a DANG THANG.
The guy in the video above is lucky his pinky finger didn't go with his dorado.
Yak Loins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 10:25 PM   #13
alanw
Made in U.S.A.

Damn dude that's nasty. Maybe a breakable link like one that's used to to free a stuck anchor would be useful for attaching the game clip to your yak.
Malibu Stealth-12 ¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

Its not a spelling B its a fishing B ~yakjoe
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:21 AM   #14
Dail14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak Loins View Post
That Sea Lion story is friggin nuts dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What can you do when an animal that large decides to have a go at your fish??
Absolutely not a DANG THANG.
Well legally there is nothing you can do.
Dail14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:03 PM   #15
Deamon

So you're the one. I heard about it but didn't know who. Welcome to "Fuggin Seal Flipped Me Club". I joined it this year too. Jim
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:49 PM   #16
driftwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
So you're the one. I heard about it but didn't know who. Welcome to "Fuggin Seal Flipped Me Club". I joined it this year too. Jim
Hey Jim, I heard about your midnight nightmare out in the La Jolla waters. I think your experience was a lot more stressful. Sounds like I'm in good company and now I'm a member of the FSFM Club.

Last edited by driftwood; 10-27-2013 at 06:04 PM.
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:49 PM   #17
Deamon

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
Hey Jim, I heard about your midnight nightmare out in the La Jolla waters. I think your experience was a lot more stressful. Sounds like I'm in good company and now I'm a member of the FSFM Club.
Welcome Gabe! Now start PM'ing me your hot bites my friend

I had another recent close call. Right around midnight. I had a wsb strapped to the side of my yak in the water. I wanted another one and this one was just too big to have it in my lap all night. I hadn't seen or heard a seal up to that point anyways. So after a while im looking at my ff and I see "the fat line" coming straight up. I'm like...uh oh, that looks like a seal. I had three seconds to think about wtf might happen if it was. Sum bitch popped up 5' from my yak staring at the fish. At moment, I screamed like a wild bitch. Wild and LOUD. The seal blew up. I must've scared him pretty bad. I pulled the fish in and kept it in my lap until morning. That would've been a bad deal for me. Jim
"The reality is that the wall was built to keep all Asians ~specifically Japanese and those that think they're japanese~ out of the U.S"

Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #18
YakDout
Brandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
Even though this clip may seem amusing and entertaining, there is more of a serious and dangerous side to this for us kayakers. I did not plan to tell my story over the internet but this video changed my mind.

In July of the present year, Randy (Old Man in the Sea) and I decided to go fishing for yellow tail off La Jolla Shores. Once I arrived to “the spot”, Randy was still quite a distance from me but coming up behind me were 3-4 other kayakers, one whom I recognized as Kevin (The Kid), who all passed me by. It wasn’t much later that my reel takes off screaming, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I knew immediately what I had, yeah, Yellow Tail!! After a short fight he was onboard. I noticed that its tail was hanging over the kayak just by a little after I had secured him.

All of a sudden and within a flash, my yellow tail is grabbed by a 500lb sea lion. I played tug-of-war for less than a fraction of a second. Well needless to say a 500lb sea lion v a kayak has no chance and he easily flipped me over like a pancake. It happened so fast it seemed surreal, and it took a few seconds to grasp and act upon my predicament. I attempted to climb back onto my PA from the side but kept slipping off. I realized that the only way back on is to climb from the rear of the kayak. I succeeded in the first attempt. At this point, I am sitting on top of my upside down kayak and I begin to yell for help. I manage to flip the kayak over and about this time Kevin (The Kid) arrives and helps me to settle down after the shocking experience. Kevin removed most of the water that was in my kayak and I was able to peddle to shore safely.

Do not think this could never happen to you. Take my word for it. Sea lions can be bold and aggressive, yanking the fish off of a kayak and more. I still continue to use a clip, but I do not tie it to my boat anymore. I lost about $1k in equipment, a mix of rods and reels. But hey, these are replaceable.

I thought that in telling my story it might make others aware. Be safe!

That's a scary story. But I have a question for you. You said in your post you continue to use a game clip but do not tie it to the kayak anymore. Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of the clip? Or am I missing something ?
YakDout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 07:29 PM   #19
Witty1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
Welcome Gabe! Now start PM'ing me your hot bites my friend

I had another recent close call. Right around midnight. I had a wsb strapped to the side of my yak in the water. I wanted another one and this one was just too big to have it in my lap all night. I hadn't seen or heard a seal up to that point anyways. So after a while im looking at my ff and I see "the fat line" coming straight up. I'm like...uh oh, that looks like a seal. I had three seconds to think about wtf might happen if it was. Sum bitch popped up 5' from my yak staring at the fish. At moment, I screamed like a wild bitch. Wild and LOUD. The seal blew up. I must've scared him pretty bad. I pulled the fish in and kept it in my lap until morning. That would've been a bad deal for me. Jim
holy hell that would scare the hell out of me...
What was the condition of your underware after that ordeal??
Witty1 is offline   Reply With Quote