Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge  

Go Back   Kayak Fishing Adventures on Big Water’s Edge > Kayak Fishing Forum - Message Board > Kayak Fishing Reports
Home Forum Online Store Information LJ Webcam Gallery Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2010, 03:45 PM   #1
DanaPT

What's the answer. . .

Can kayaks be launched from any beach?
DanaPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:39 PM   #2
GregAndrew

This is a response I received from the Harbor Patrol when I was told I had to be 300 yards off the beach in a particular town, by a Harbor Patrol boat.

This type of restriction may be imposed by a local government entity under the provisions of Harbors and navigation Code section 660 (a), which allows local entities to adopt regulations in four areas that do not conflict with state law. They include : setting time of day restrictions, setting speed zones, establishing a “special sue area” (where all or a portion of a waterway under the jurisdiction of local entity may allow or prohibit a specific activity if it is incompatible with another activity), and sanitation and pollution control.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:43 PM   #3
m1k3midg3

just launch where there arent people or lifeguards.
m1k3midg3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 06:23 PM   #4
dsafety
Olivenhain Bob

I can only speak for the areas in San Diego that are under the watchful eyes of the Lifeguards. Kayaks can be launched just about anywhere except in locations that are designated as swimming areas or the very few areas, (La Jolla Cove for example), where floating devices are not allowed. Designated surfing areas are OK.

Believe it or not, it is legal to launch a kayak at the Children's Pool, (now known as the seal reserve where Children are no longer allowed to swim). You just cannot interact in any way with the seals. Exactly who is charged with deciding what "interaction" is or enforcing that regulation is unclear.

I suspect that most other cities and counties have similar regulations.

Bob
dsafety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:15 PM   #5
m1k3midg3

im tempted to launch at the childrens pool now. i wonder how many people will get upset
Old 11-18-2010, 08:55 AM   #6
Zed
BANNED

Up here in OC, DanaPT, you can launch anywhere that is not blackballed by lifeguards.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:06 AM   #7
Regor
Greg

One more area that is usually a no no is a clearly defined Military area.
Regor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:11 AM   #8
Hunters Pa

I asked this question of the lifeguards a few years ago & you are generally allowed to launch & land unless it poses a safety hazard to others in teh water. Use common sense, don't launch amid the firstgraders on a field trip to the beach.
Hunters Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 09:15 AM   #9
Jzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaPT View Post
Can kayaks be launched from any beach?
I use the MarineMAP Decision Support Tool.
http://southcoast.marinemap.org/marinemap/
Click check box next to "Recreational Fishing", then you will get something like this:
Name:  11-18-2010 10-11-17 AM.jpg
Views: 1598
Size:  67.8 KB
Jzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:57 AM   #10
MVC

That looks alot like the map that the Fish and Game guy put up at the last MLPA meeting claiming that is where everyone fishes.
MVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:07 PM   #11
bald1
Junior

Beach Launching

I was told at the lifeguard office that kayaks could not be launched at Bolsa Chica State Beach. WRONG! I called the State Parks office in San Clemente and was told that "human powered" boats/kayaks/paddle boards, etc could be launched there. The VERY nice lady mailed me a list of beaches in Southern California that are restricted and those which are not. To date, approximately two out of three lifeguards I have asked are ignorant of the rules. I keep the list in my truck. Call for list.

Hope this helps.

Orange Coast District (949) 492-0802

San Diego Coast district (619) 688-3260
bald1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 07:44 AM   #12
maui jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bald1 View Post
I was told at the lifeguard office that kayaks could not be launched at Bolsa Chica State Beach. WRONG! I called the State Parks office in San Clemente and was told that "human powered" boats/kayaks/paddle boards, etc could be launched there. The VERY nice lady mailed me a list of beaches in Southern California that are restricted and those which are not. To date, approximately two out of three lifeguards I have asked are ignorant of the rules. I keep the list in my truck. Call for list.

Hope this helps.

That has a lot to due with the surfers and not so much with the lifegaurd, boarders dont like the plastic there, I surf there and have seen the issues others have....like the ocean isn't big enough.. launch south of the jetties and you'll have no worries. and you car will be in better shape when you get back
Old 11-19-2010, 10:30 AM   #13
old_rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bald1 View Post

Hope this helps.

Funny - before I launched at San Elijo, I asked the lifeguard if it was OK to launch my kayak at the beach, she was not sure and contacted another lifegaurd - the reply: "as long as you don't kill anyone..."
old_rookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 11:09 AM   #14
Dane101

Childrens pool

If your not allowed to get within 50ft of a resting seal.How are we gonna launch at the seals poop pool.Anyways , that's where the man in the Grey suit is waiting for fresh tender furbag meat.
Dane101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 09:38 PM   #15
bus kid
Team Keine Zugehörigkeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jzo View Post
I use the MarineMAP Decision Support Tool.
http://southcoast.marinemap.org/marinemap/
Click check box next to "Recreational Fishing", then you will get something like this:
Attachment 3304

that is one useful tool. bookmarked

Não alimente os trolls------------Don't feed the trolls---------------インタネット荒らしを無視しろ

bus kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:38 PM   #16
JrBasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1k3midg3 View Post
im tempted to launch at the childrens pool now. i wonder how many people will get upset
Been there, done that. It's nice, and convenient. You may get some PETA harrassment. Video, police called etc. But nothing has ever come of any of it. I've never even had the police show up.
JrBasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:01 PM   #17
Zed
BANNED

DanaPt,
I just read in another thread you have a motor. That negates what I posted earlier. With your motor you become a motor vessel, complete w/ boat registration requirements (CF#'s) and are NOT allowed to launch where ever you like. You need to be at a launch ramp, or legal beach launch (like La Jolla). Not saying you won't be able to launch from beaches, you just won't be doing it legally.

Don't ruin it for the rest of us, ok?

This issue is 10yo at least when a certain QM wanted to launch his FnD w/ motor from a Doheney beach. 9-10 times you can probably get away w/ it, but that 1 time will give a lot of other kayakers a black eye.

Good luck,

Z
Old 12-03-2010, 05:39 PM   #18
m1k3midg3

ha k. no motor at childrens pool.